PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telstra

Aleid is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Problem with USB Connection

Alright, I'm running Windows 7, and this is exactly what happens.

First, i connect my HTC Touch Diamond, on the phone screen it asks me to choose ActiveSync or Disk Drive, regardless of what i choose, or if i choose none, i always instantly get the following error appears in the task bar and the "Unknown Device" in device manager.

Under the devices properties in Device Manager, the Device Status says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

If i try re-running the Windows Mobile Device Center installer (drvupdate-x86.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en) the following happens:

So, apparently it finds the driver and then attempts to install it, but while doing so, the device appears to become 'unplugged' some how and then the Windows Mobile Device Center installer continues on its way.

I've tried various reported fixes for problems like this, such as:
-Checking or unchecking the "Enable advanced network functionality" box in Start->Settings->Connections->USB to PC.
-Used 2 different cables in various USB ports.
-Tried cleaning both cables and the connector on the device with electronics cleaning fluid. (isopropyl i think?)
-Deleting the device from device manager, resetting my PC and soft resetting my device then reconnecting them.
-Hard and soft resetting the device
-Enabling various system services, such as the UPnP one (which was originally disabled for some reason)
-Tried it on an two different XP machines, same task bar error, and same Unkown Device in Device Manager.

None of the above has worked, and im out of ideas. I'd be extremely grateful to anyone who could help out, i've tried to provide as much information as possible, if anything else is needed, just ask.

Thanks in advance.
/-- Aleid.

I also posted the thread on another forum (link below), some of the information may help you in helping me, im just hoping that someone can, and will please help me, i'd be forever grateful =D

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=13075611
Old 10-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Aleid is a n00b
Re: Problem with USB Connection

Apparantly it's a hardware or firmware issue, according to the guy over here http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=13076118

Is there anyway to possibly flash the USB firmware or something? :\
Old 10-06-2009, 01:13 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

If your pc is running Windows 7 and your device is running 6.1, maybe that's the issue?
I don't know if the 2 are compatible, and I am just putting it out there.
And a few registry tweaks
HTC DIAMOND DISASSEMBLY/ASSEMBLY/PARTS/REPAIR HELP HERE >

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security"
-Ben Franklin
Old 10-06-2009, 01:32 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Sounds like something in the usb port on your device has failed. Look at it with a magnifying glass and see if you see any broken or missing pins. Somehow your pc is not getting the info it needs to classify your device properly.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:25 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Aleid is a n00b

Quote:
If your pc is running Windows 7 and your device is running 6.1, maybe that's the issue?
I don't know if the 2 are compatible, and I am just putting it out there.
Nah, it's not, the device is actually broken.

Quote:
Sounds like something in the usb port on your device has failed. Look at it with a magnifying glass and see if you see any broken or missing pins. Somehow your pc is not getting the info it needs to classify your device properly.
I want to try this, but im scared i'll break it even more :\. EDIT: err, i thought you meant inside the device, but just looking from the outside i can see one of the pins is kinda screwed, how would i go about replacing/repairing this?

EDIT AGAIN: under even closer inspection, it appears to be fine, it was also checked by a friend w/ experience with electronics and he said all the connectors inside and out where fine, he also cleaned them. He says the USB driver on the device may be screwed or something, possibly from a USB hub pumping too much voltage into it. Does anyone know a way to fix this?

Last edited by Aleid; 10-06-2009 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Dell
Carrier: Vodafone

stevejack is a n00b

To achieve proper USB connectivity six basic system elements must be present and working correctly.
1) Support from the BIOS
2) Support from the Operating System
3) Physical USB ports
4) A USB Device
5) The correct USB cable for the device
6) Drivers either from the OS and/or the peripheral maker

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond