PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   No warranty if purchased new through ebay? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=87855)

RonaldReagan 09-29-2009 09:26 AM

No warranty if purchased new through ebay?

I purchased a diamond brand new through ebay 11 months ago. I call the warranty company identified in the owners manual since the screen is showing random light green spots.

The service rep asked me where I purchased the phone and I explained I bought new from ebay. She explained that the warranty is only valid if purchased from an authorized dealer. I replied that the phone was shipped from sprint. She said ebay is not an authorized dealer but I could send it in for service at a fee. :protest:

Has anyone used the warranty to repair their phone purchased from ebay?

MrObvious 09-29-2009 12:10 PM

Re: No warranty if purchased new through ebay?

If it is off of eBay chances are it is an older phone than 11 months. The warranty only lasts a year but you could pay to get your phone fixed.

Biker1 09-29-2009 12:57 PM

Maybe contact the seller and see what he suggests about the HTC Warranty.
If the warranty is transferrable, you could have said you purchased the Diamond from a friend.
There are 2 questions that you need to know for sure >
1) Do you have to buy from an Authorized Dealer in order get the Manufacturer's Warranty (HTC)
2) Is a Warranty Transferrable or is it only valid to the Original Purcahaser (this way you know what to say in regards to getting your Diamond serviced under warranty)
The Diamond is warrantied for 1 Year from date of purchase, no matter what the above answers are.

Someone else may have more finite answers for you.
For future Ebay purchases, if the Manufacturer's Warranty is not valid on a new purchase, it would not be worth to purchase, imo.
Since the Ebay seller purchased the Diamond from Sprint, the Warranty should be Valid, but maybe to the original purchaser. But there should be a work around to get it repaired under warranty. But time is running out.

EDIT:
This may help regarding Ebay purchases and Manfacturer's warranties >
http://pages.ebay.com/help/warranty/buyer_faqs.html

tersoth 09-29-2009 03:15 PM

I know you asked about the warranty...but why not get it fixed through sprint? if you have the TEP plan you should be covered.

CyberBlaster 10-01-2009 10:45 AM

You do have to buy from a authorized deal for them to honour the warranty. As they said ebay isn't one.

Willis111 10-01-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker1 (Post 1201868)
2) Is a Warranty Transferrable or is it only valid to the Original Purcahaser (this way you know what to say in regards to getting your Diamond serviced under warranty)

IMHO sprint/bell/whoever is a REseller, they buy phones from htc and resell them and transfer the warranty over to the end user. Though they are AUTHORIZED resellers ... but I'd like to see what kind of hit one of those companies takes when they get a batch of defective touch diamonds etc which would be covered under htc's warranty, same one I the end users get I think.

Biker1 10-01-2009 11:54 PM

I bought my 2nd Diamond used.
If I activate it and something goes wrong with it, I would just say it is a Sprint phone.
Which it is. End of story :)
Btw, I have TEP so it would be a moot point in my case.

MrObvious 10-02-2009 06:37 AM

That's really a good point Biker. If you get insurance and it is for sure a clean ESN'd phone from the carrier but sold through eBay then Asurion will honor it and give you a new phone if you do a claim.

jason25 10-02-2009 06:48 AM

This is why I only give the information that is asked. You need to choose your words carefully.

psycho_maniac 10-02-2009 07:10 AM

right. idk how many phones ive owned that i didnt buy retail/contract and i still got them under warranty.