PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Panoramic Wallpaper utility -- I'm up for the challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradart View Post
I thin kthe cfcgui is a converter of some sort for the image files. Or maybe i lack aforementioned deduction skills as well.
I think you take the coefficient of the derivative and the chosen input value describes the best linear approximation of the function near that input value. somehow it may work, it's elementary watson.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyd5 View Post
I think you take the coefficient of the derivative and the chosen input value describes the best linear approximation of the function near that input value. somehow it may work, it's elementary watson.
lolwut

but seriously, if this app gets made or i somehow find some free time, i will use all my design and illustration school learnings to churn out some bad-arse panos for all you folks.

Sponsored by Kools.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyd5 View Post
Lmao. That was pretty funny man.

The cfc gui lets you swap images, etc and overwrite files in the manila files, it lets you open up the images very easily.
CFC stands for ChainFire Compression, it compresses the manila files to make them smaller, and actually speeds it up. This was all created by chainfire. Hence ChainFire Compression
Old 09-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

WarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Yeah... after digging through xda I found two apps -- cfcgui and manila editor -- both of which will edit existing manila files so you can put in your own images, etc. BUT, they are desktop apps... and won't do what I want to do... which is allow someone to choose a wallpaper on their phone and have it automatically do all that crazy 3-file-512-square creation/cropping whatever. That way people can just find suitable 1536x512 image files and throw them on their device to use as pano wallpaper whenever they want... rather than have to do the kabuki dance or whatever.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

WarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Incidentally... I have PMs in to ChainFire and sushilange asking them for how they handled the QTC files (or whatever the heck we want to call them).

Basically, here's the only hiccup. The QTC format is a derivative of an AMD-based compression/optimization format... and it's NOT well-documented... or documented AT ALL. Some brave soul at XDA managed to figure out some of the required Hex values in the opening address of the file header... but I'm of the school that if someone came up with the stupid file type in the first place they'd have a DLL with some basic functions to use the file... but apparently that's silly talk. (or my poor powers of deduction)

Last edited by WarAxe; 09-27-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Does anyone know ChainFire personally or have worked with him at all?
Old 09-28-2009, 01:05 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

He is on irc.freenode.net in various rooms.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
He is on irc.freenode.net in various rooms.
Thanks. I just had a back-and-forth with him last night and it turns out that the method he's using for converting images to the correct format only works in "big" windows... not mobile.

This is a big problem. I have a call in to AMD asking about mobile-friendly library support for their ATI compression format, but I haven't heard anything yet (although I problem wouldn't anyways until tonight when I check my home email).
Old 09-28-2009, 12:55 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community

It's a neat idea on what you're trying to do. However, if you're going to crop a picture to 1536x512 pixels, you'll probably be on a PC (how would you even view a 1536x512 pic on a 640x480 screen and see any detail). I'm pretty sure that having a ppc program convert a png to qtc manila file would take a long time. It can take a minute or two depending on the processor in the desktop (times 3 or 6 images), and our phones are a lot slower.

IMO, a better app would be one that would let you preview a sample of a panoramic pic (maybe just read the first qtc on the ppc), select the panoramic image you want, and have your ppc app copy the manila files to /windows and restart manila automatically. You'd still have to have users put the 3/6 png's into the manila files and transfer them to a folder on their phone that is read by your ppc app. This would be easier and quicker than installing/uninstalling cabs to change pictures (and you wouldn't need to create cabs in the first place).
Old 09-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Well, to address you first point... the user wouldn't need to do anything to the wide image, the idea is for the APP to do all the heavy lifting, cropping, converting, copying, etc.

But you're right, I think that figuring out how to get the PPC to do it would be too much (and ChainFire agrees). Also, I didn't realize there was such a render time. ANd it's a shame, too, because all of this is because the images are compressed into an AMD format intended to optimize graphics intensive applications... not three 512x512 images that sit there as wallpaper.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond