PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul and HTC Touch
Carrier: Cricket

mazimi777 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FUBARed my diamond trying to free memory PLEASE HELP??

Okay this whole problem started when I could not figure out why my device memory kept becoming less and less even though I kept removing programs or moving them to internal storage on my CDMA sprint HTC diamond.
Well memory got so low that I could no longer add my favorite theme the Onyx mad scientist. The progresss bar would almost fill up when I was trying to load it and then it would start going backwards and say that it could not be installed.
So I figured I had to free up memory. I did some research and realized that Memaid is a good tool to help free up memory. So I got a little hear and there by clearing Opera cache and cookies but that only took me from 99 to 93. So I clicked on advanced clean. I saw all the boxes where it could clean, bad registry items, compact, RAM, windows temp files, acantgo cache files, bad install files, dead registry, dead shortcuts, netfront cache, and many more. Even though all these boxes were not initally checked I figured I could use all the memory I could get so I checked them all and did a scan and then a clean.
I was a little worried at first but nothing happened. Or so I thought. Hours later I tried to sync my phone to PC so I could reload the Onyx theme only to find I kept getting a connection error. Everytime I tried to sync.
Furthermore when I went to my setting page and clicked on remove programs I saw there were no programs to be removed. Yet my theme and all apps were still working find. Lastly the kicker is I noticed that all the Cab files that I had stored in my internal storage (so I could reload an app should I ever want it again) all of these cab files could not be installed. Everytime I try to install a cab file it immediately says that installation was unsuccessful. I am afraid to hard reset because I cant even get activesync to work. Please help???
Old 09-24-2009, 09:41 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

jhogan99 is a n00b
Re: FUBARed my diamond trying to free memory PLEASE HELP??

You could try and build a backup using PIM Backup (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=299705) and then hard reset.

You could also try MyPhone (http://myphone.microsoft.com), might not work since it requires more system integration then PIM Backup.

Last edited by jhogan99; 09-24-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond (Sprint model)

ejdavis72 is keeping up the good workejdavis72 is keeping up the good work

If you want to put it into bootloader mode so you don't need activesync just hold down the power button, volume down, back key, and push and hold the reset button under the battery cover until it goes into bootloader and then you can put whatever ROM you want back into it and it will not affect your internal storage at all. You need to hold all them buttons at the same time AND push reset! That's about all I can tell you to do cause it sounds pretty bad to me. Good luck bro
Old 09-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Touch Diamond/BlackBerry Tour 9630
Carrier: Sprint

basilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejdavis72 View Post
If you want to put it into bootloader mode so you don't need activesync just hold down the power button, volume down, back key, and push and hold the reset button under the battery cover until it goes into bootloader and then you can put whatever ROM you want back into it and it will not affect your internal storage at all. You need to hold all them buttons at the same time AND push reset! That's about all I can tell you to do cause it sounds pretty bad to me. Good luck bro
You can get to bootloader much easier than that.

1. Turn off phone
2. Press and hold the center button and Volume Down
3. Press and hold the power button

That should bring you to Bootloader.

The above poster (too lazy to multi-quote) is right. Use PIM backup (or a similar program like SPB backup) to make sure you have contacts.

There is no way around a hard-reset or re-flash on this one. Basically, what happened is that you've wiped registry keys that WinMo still needed. You could do the same thing on your PC and mess it up.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond (Sprint model)

ejdavis72 is keeping up the good workejdavis72 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilray View Post
You can get to bootloader much easier than that.

1. Turn off phone
2. Press and hold the center button and Volume Down
3. Press and hold the power button

That should bring you to Bootloader.

The above poster (too lazy to multi-quote) is right. Use PIM backup (or a similar program like SPB backup) to make sure you have contacts.

There is no way around a hard-reset or re-flash on this one. Basically, what happened is that you've wiped registry keys that WinMo still needed. You could do the same thing on your PC and mess it up.
WOW you are right! That sounds soooo much easier than the way I was telling him to do it! It's one more button to push but you don't have to turn it off first. Thanks for pointing that out. The guy up above me already told him to use pim backup so why should I have to tell him again? You are so much help thank you for being here for us.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung I8000L
Carrier: Bell

Willis111 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Quote:
WOW you are right! That sounds soooo much easier than the way I was telling him to do it! It's one more button to push but you don't have to turn it off first. Thanks for pointing that out. The guy up above me already told him to use pim backup so why should I have to tell him again? You are so much help thank you for being here for us.
By turning it off first he doesn't have to hold the stylus in his mouth to hit the hard reset button on the rear of the phone =D>
Old 10-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis111 View Post
By turning it off first he doesn't have to hold the stylus in his mouth to hit the hard reset button on the rear of the phone =D>
Actually, i've gotten so good at the bootloader and triggered bootloader key combos that i'm allllllmooost able to hit vol dwn, power, back button and insert the stylus in the reset hole one handed. My fingers aren't long enough to do that though.

Sponsored by Kools.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond