PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

motohero5711 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verizon Touch Diamond Woes

So I just got my Verizon Touch Diamond today. I like it so far. I don't really notice any lag or anything. I have no complaints so far with speed. Every one seems to whine about it "being so much slower than the other carriers." I have used the Sprint Diamond (back when I was trying to get it on VZW) and I don't notice any difference. It did semi-crash once, but that was when I first got it running and I was opening every app etc on the device. I'm liking the MicroSD slot. I can use my 8GB card ^_^ and 192MB of RAM will suffice.

A couple things I was wondering about:

ROMs
I completely hate the purple TouchFLO theme....
I would like to load a custom ROM, but I do not want to do that until I have a backup of the Verizon ROM in case I need to flash it back for some reason. Does anyone know of a Verizon Diamond ROM I can download? Also, in regard to the unlocking/flashing/relocking etc... will the same stuff for CDMA carriers work for the Verizon model? Or will someone need to develop and unlocker, etc Thats my main question... Or is there some sort of black TouchFLO skin I can install to get rid of the ugly purple theme?

Push Email---
This is the first time I've had data service on a smartphone. I was under the impression that I got push email. It looks like most Outlook will do is update every 5min. Is there some sort of hack or anything I can do to get Outlook to update more often? or is there an alternative to getting "push" email.
I know Verizon offers "Mobile Email", which I installed on my device. I get this free with the data plan. I pretty much hate the layout of it though. I use gmail, which is not listed in the accounts types; you have to choose add account. From what I read somewhere or something, that the ones for AIM, Hotmail, MSN are actually push, but for other accounts it updates every 15min. That wasn't how it was when I was testing it, but the Mobile Email alerted me much later most times than Outlook did...

Basically I'm trying to find a solution for push email...

GPS....
I know people are working on this, but I wasn't sure if there were any updates..

Cramped Keyboard...
I read about this Gyrator program, but it's not working right on here. I'm still hammering through some other ideas, but any suggestions would be helpful.

Text Message Confirmation?...
Okay this is extremely annoying...it says "Text Message Sent" alert, makes a sound/vibrates and has the option to dismiss. This happens everytime I send a message. I couldn't find anything in the settings, but I know this was a problem on the XV6800 before.

I think that's the last of my complaints.....Thanks guys!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Re: Verizon Touch Diamond Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohero5711 View Post
So I just got my Verizon Touch Diamond today. I like it so far. I don't really notice any lag or anything. I have no complaints so far with speed. Every one seems to whine about it "being so much slower than the other carriers." I have used the Sprint Diamond (back when I was trying to get it on VZW) and I don't notice any difference. It did semi-crash once, but that was when I first got it running and I was opening every app etc on the device. I'm liking the MicroSD slot. I can use my 8GB card ^_^ and 192MB of RAM will suffice.

A couple things I was wondering about:

ROMs
I completely hate the purple TouchFLO theme....
I would like to load a custom ROM, but I do not want to do that until I have a backup of the Verizon ROM in case I need to flash it back for some reason. Does anyone know of a Verizon Diamond ROM I can download? Also, in regard to the unlocking/flashing/relocking etc... will the same stuff for CDMA carriers work for the Verizon model? Or will someone need to develop and unlocker, etc Thats my main question... Or is there some sort of black TouchFLO skin I can install to get rid of the ugly purple theme?

Push Email---
This is the first time I've had data service on a smartphone. I was under the impression that I got push email. It looks like most Outlook will do is update every 5min. Is there some sort of hack or anything I can do to get Outlook to update more often? or is there an alternative to getting "push" email.
I know Verizon offers "Mobile Email", which I installed on my device. I get this free with the data plan. I pretty much hate the layout of it though. I use gmail, which is not listed in the accounts types; you have to choose add account. From what I read somewhere or something, that the ones for AIM, Hotmail, MSN are actually push, but for other accounts it updates every 15min. That wasn't how it was when I was testing it, but the Mobile Email alerted me much later most times than Outlook did...

Basically I'm trying to find a solution for push email...

GPS....
I know people are working on this, but I wasn't sure if there were any updates..

Cramped Keyboard...
I read about this Gyrator program, but it's not working right on here. I'm still hammering through some other ideas, but any suggestions would be helpful.

Text Message Confirmation?...
Okay this is extremely annoying...it says "Text Message Sent" alert, makes a sound/vibrates and has the option to dismiss. This happens everytime I send a message. I couldn't find anything in the settings, but I know this was a problem on the XV6800 before.

I think that's the last of my complaints.....Thanks guys!
hello,

regarding roms, they will need to make an unlocker for the verizon diamond but it has not been done here yet. so you dont have the ability to flash new custom roms yet. Hopefully someone will make one soon but more importantly someone will need to have the shipped rom as well in case you need to send it back. you would then need to relock the phone along with flashing the original shipped rom from Verizon.

Regarding email, you should be able to set up email through active sync on your phone with the option to receive push mail "as items arrive" doesn't your phone have active sync installed with this option?

keyboards: there are several that would probably work like fingerkeyboard, and different versions of the HTC keyboards. do a search for 'Groove" and keyboards and you should find a good thread as well as check this diamond thread for other keyboard options. There is alos touchpal which many people like, pcm keyboard, etc. if you don't like them or mess something up, you can always hard reset your phone.

text message notification is removed in most custom roms so somebody with the capability to dump the verizon rom would be nice to get this moving forward.

sorry I could be of more help but thats what I know at this point. by the way, what is the radio version on your diamond? what number I mean. you can find it under start, settings, system tab, device information. Just curious. thanks.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Eris

ruslan is becoming a great contributor

text message notification should be just a reg edit and should be in the same location for all htc devices. try searching in reg tweaks forum.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

things will certaintly get better in time for you. while ur waiting for some custom roms here are some fixes for u:

-cab to disable the text sent notification

-changescreen is a program just like gyrator see if that works for you

-finger keyb is the keyboard that was recommended above, works great and is much better than the stock keyborads imo.

hope it helps and good luck

Last edited by redd214; 04-28-2009 at 01:03 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

motohero5711 is a n00b

You guys are awesome. I'll try these out sometime today. In regard to the push email, I never set it up with ActiveSync...I have a Mac and I use SyncMate. I don't use Outlook either. I'm not sure if SyncMate has these types of Mail options for Mac Mail, and I have the trial version anyways, which only syncs contacts and calendar (which is all I really care about).

I do have a Windows virtual machine. I'll set up Outlook and ActiveSync and let you guys know how it goes. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

motohero5711 is a n00b

I've been using Spb keyboard and like that alot. I haven't tried to do the push email thing with Outlook yet, but I did try a service called Emoze, which works quite well. I also tried setting up my live email with Windows Live application. That works very well also.

I was wondering something else. I noticed my screen turns on when I receive text messages and receive IM+ messages. It doesn't for email though. I don't like the screen turning on (I end up pressing stuff if it goes off in my pocket when I'm walking or something)

Anyone know of a reg hack to disable the screen turning on for notifications like this? Thanks!

----
Also any updates on GPS?..
Old 05-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon Diamond
Carrier: Verizon (US)

bgbop15 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to bgbop15

getting back my Verizon Diamond soon, can't wait for the unlocker!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:56 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond

Boss428man is a n00b

Does anyone know of any forum treads that may have information about the Verison Diamond GPS fix?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:41 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

Toushi is a n00b

Hey dumb question but did you get that sprint diamond on verizon?
I am hoping to get an alltel diamond with a bad esn on verizon
Old 05-06-2009, 12:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VZ TP2 XV6875

ramborami is keeping up the good workramborami is keeping up the good work

Theres a GPS fix for the TouchPRo in the TouchPRo forum, you may want to try that out

As for push mail, verizon has a tool that you can use for that, its called Wireless Sync
You can find more info on the CDs that came with your phone probably.
Old: VZW TP XV6850 >> VZW XV6900 >> VZW XV6800 >> VZW XV6700 >> VZW XV6600

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond