PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Diamond Flash Questions (No, not the Usual Ones...) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86365)

pkmgarf 09-21-2009 03:15 PM

Diamond Flash Questions (No, not the Usual Ones...)

So, after using a few different ROMS on my CDMA Diamond (Mighty, Energy, Juicy, etc), nothing really does exactly what I want it to do, so I'm looking in to cooking my own (BuildOS updating right now).

That said, my goal is a clean, fast WM6.5 (Titanium only, TF3D doesn't really impress me) ROM with only the necessary apps (no GPS, etc).

My questions is this, do I really need to flash my Diamond back to stock before flashing new ROMS to it? I've read a few places that it is recommended. If so, why is it necessary? Shouldn't reflashing overwrite any/all values that flashing to stock would change?

If I do need to go back to stock, I would have to undo Hard SPL, correct?

CaliBoyPhillip 09-21-2009 03:33 PM

Re: Diamond Flash Questions (No, not the Usual Ones...)

Hello! I believe They ask to flash because issue's do happen in most 6.5 ROM's if you just flash from ROM to ROM, I don't believe you must undo the hard spl... so no to that, and also deleting the youtube folder is really good thing to do. I can't really explain why but.... trust me if you don't your bound to run into issues mate =] hit thanks if this helped. oh yeah btw I usually just flash to sprint shipped and Don't let the cus run but that's only hen I'm in a hurry and never run into issues =] but if you have time on your hand take the time to let cus run and then go to start -> settings -> system and clear storage. or you can flash from ROM to ROM but you would have to do a hard reset after doing so and after hard reset do a clear storage as well so yeah more time wasted ;P

basilray 09-21-2009 04:57 PM

Here's what I do:

1. Hard Reset whatever ROM I'm using
2. Flash Sprint Stock
3. Hard Reset
4. Flash new ROM
5. Hard Reset
6. Enjoy!

Even though you're overwriting files, the hard reset and flash back to stock puts the phone into the original state. This cures sporadic issues some users experience after flashing a custom ROM.

While not entirely necessary, you WILL get the best mileage out of a flash if you make sure to hard reset like I outlined above.

pkmgarf 09-21-2009 05:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. So, even if I flash back to the stock Sprint ROM, I wouldn't need to undo Hard SPL?

I understand the theory behind the flash to stock, but it still doesn't quite make sense. If the ROM is being overwritten, the old values (of whatever custom ROM was there) should be gone, and replaced with the values of the new ROM.

CaliBoyPhillip 09-21-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkmgarf (Post 1183633)
Thanks for the replies. So, even if I flash back to the stock Sprint ROM, I wouldn't need to undo Hard SPL?

I understand the theory behind the flash to stock, but it still doesn't quite make sense. If the ROM is being overwritten, the old values (of whatever custom ROM was there) should be gone, and replaced with the values of the new ROM.

Yes indeed you don't need to undo hard spl =]

pkmgarf 09-21-2009 05:52 PM

Thanks again for the quick replies.

I know this is a bit out of the realm of this thread, but I'm in class right now and would rather not make another thread (which means I probably shouldn't be messing with BuilOS either, but this is an extremely boring 150 person lecture :)).

Anyway, I'm trying to use Caulkin's kitchen to get the newest WinMo build in my ROM, as the BuildOS update utility doesn't have 23412 in it.

How do I get Caulkin's Visual kitchen into the BuildOS directory in a way that it will understand it. I've been poking around (see:trial/error...lol), but I just can't get 23412 as an option to start cooking....

CaliBoyPhillip 09-21-2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkmgarf (Post 1183707)
Thanks again for the quick replies.

I know this is a bit out of the realm of this thread, but I'm in class right now and would rather not make another thread (which means I probably shouldn't be messing with BuilOS either, but this is an extremely boring 150 person lecture :)).

Anyway, I'm trying to use Caulkin's kitchen to get the newest WinMo build in my ROM, as the BuildOS update utility doesn't have 23412 in it.

How do I get Caulkin's Visual kitchen into the BuildOS directory in a way that it will understand it. I've been poking around (see:trial/error...lol), but I just can't get 23412 as an option to start cooking....

I can't reply to that sorry... I have no knowledge about cooking :\

pkmgarf 09-21-2009 08:25 PM

btw- I'm using Calukin's kitchen just because it uses the newest SYS. If anyone know how I can start building a ROM from scratch (no 3rd party stuff, just a basic WinMo install that I can fully customize), I'd appreciate having that info...

Ideally, I'd like to use BuildOS to create a very basic, fast and light WinMo 6.5.1 ROM...

TREmp77 09-23-2009 12:30 AM

Ok...click the down arrow under device and select Diamond. The Id, Chunk, os id and lang will change to what it needs to be. Click the ext build to 6.5.1, then the sys and xip to 23xxx. Then all the way to left go to "Other" and change the pagepool, default is 6. Next double click what you want and dont want in your ROM from the list...False means its not True means it is in.

Hope thats what you were asking for

dibbson 09-23-2009 02:31 PM

There are other Kitchens that use new SYS files. PPCK and SSK both can build new SYS files. The link below is a great thread on SYS files and Kitchens.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=54678

Also check out PPCKitchen.org for more info. Read, Read, Read is my best advice.