PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 02:51 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

Holyman007 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Disable data connection for SPECIFIC programs?

So I've have multiple programs using the data connection at various times (email accounts, quickgps, google maps, opera, etc).

Just wondering if there's a program that allows or disables specific programs from using the data connection temporarily? Because I know you can't have multiple programs using the connection at once.

The problem I'm having is everytime email checks itself, my wireless ad-hoc connection would disconnect and reconnect after 20 seconds (which is very annoying since I have 4 emails checking every 15 min). And I don't want to manual disable each email account and then re-enable afterwards...

If anyone has any idea or any tips, it'd be very appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 09-13-2009, 03:02 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Re: Disable data connection for SPECIFIC programs?

You could probably do this with a reg edit although I would think you would have to do some searching. Something like if you are using a specific program like a browser then nothing else would have permission to access data. Interesting.I am curious though why you have your device checking email so often. Seems like battery life must not be a concern for you.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:27 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyman007 View Post
Because I know you can't have multiple programs using the connection at once.
what makes you say this? I do it all the time.

which router app/ver are you using?

i'm not sure, but i'm guessing when the phone goes to "connect" it see's wifi is on, so it checks if there's internet on it. after a timeout period (20sec?) it will use the cellnet.
I also think this is one of the reasons I keep coming back to ICS.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:42 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor
I am curious though why you have your device checking email so often. Seems like battery life must not be a concern for you.
Well, I'm an important person . Nah I just like my emails checked so I can get my updates immediately. I still get a good 12 hours before charging with some texting/phone usage. And I also carry an extra battery + car charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
I also think this is one of the reasons I keep coming back to ICS.
I actually am using ICS control to tether and connect to my laptop and create a WAN. But every couple minutes, it shows the "cannot connect due to unknown reason #777" pop-up and I think it's because my emails are checking during this period?

Tell me if I'm wrong or if there's a setting I have to put in ICS Control? (I have it all default expect for public/private port, allow suspend, set private ip, and auto-connect.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:33 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I don't use ics control. so I idk, but I have my phones reg'ed to not suspend if any network connection, and I just use the dhcp from the phone and make a bridge to my pc NIC's (different usb ports will show as different devices, but you can add them all to the bridge without issue.)

an easy way to tell if it's email doing it, set to manual or a longer time and see if the trouble follows.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:25 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
I don't use ics control. so I idk, but I have my phones reg'ed to not suspend if any network connection, and I just use the dhcp from the phone and make a bridge to my pc NIC's (different usb ports will show as different devices, but you can add them all to the bridge without issue.)

an easy way to tell if it's email doing it, set to manual or a longer time and see if the trouble follows.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but which reg key do I have to modify for it not to suspend my connection?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart

My email checks every five mins and i use the htc router software while pocketwit updates every 15 mins and listening to pandora with no hiccups.

Sponsored by Kools.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:07 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradart View Post
My email checks every five mins and i use the htc router software while pocketwit updates every 15 mins and listening to pandora with no hiccups.
I just downloaded htc router software and tested it out.
It works great for about 5-10min (connection established) and then it just says "connecting sprint..." and then doesn't reconnect until I stop it and start it again.

I guess it does that instead of the pop-up (cannot connect: #777) but it doesn't reconnect like ICS control does.

Is there a way to see which programs are asking for a data connection or causing a network (wifi) timeout?

If it helps, I'm on telus using Mystery Rom.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:58 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth

are you using advanced-config or diamond tweak? they mess up data resume on cdma.

I have a cab to fix here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=88

i still gotta dig up that other reg for ya.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:13 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
are you using advanced-config or diamond tweak? they mess up data resume on cdma.

I have a cab to fix here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=88

i still gotta dig up that other reg for ya.
Thanks! I will try that out. Mystery Rom comes with advanced config but I haven't messed with any network settings with it.

The only network reg tweak that I've done is the power state regedit which allows the backlight/screen to turn off and wifi stays connected.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond