PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Could sprint find out if you are tethering? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=81252)

lucario07 08-26-2009 08:00 PM

Could sprint find out if you are tethering?

If sprint can find out is there a way to not let them find out.

TREmp77 08-26-2009 08:07 PM

Re: Could sprint find out if you are tethering?

Dont tether all day long. if your usage spikes they will think something is up and question you on your usage (maybe). Normally they dont, I've never gotten a letter from them.

lucario07 08-26-2009 08:17 PM

ok thanks

98classic 08-27-2009 01:36 AM

yea aslong as you dont take advantage of it. ive been out on cross country trips and download tons of mp3s or movies while tethering and never heard anything from them. but maybe internally u get flagged and maybe one day they question your usage. who knows

horndoctor 08-27-2009 01:44 AM

Yes, they will find out.They are watching you.There are eyes everywhere.

robsta 08-27-2009 01:45 AM

Eh, highly doubtful. I have tethered on AT&T with my old Wizard and Samsung Blackjack with no consequences. I used to use my Blackjack for online gaming as well. Currently, I'm on Sprint tethering with a Touch Diamond. I'm a high data user, I use about 1.5-3 GBs per month.

However, my usage never really changed, I started using that much since my first month with both carriers. I guess if you used like 500 MBs a month and suddenly it jumped up to 3 GBs a month they might ask questions.

It is possible for them to see if the data requested is coming from a PC or mobile phone, but its involves examining the data coming through, packet by packet, very time consuming, and definitely not cost effective. I wonder what they would do if they caught you anyways, they would probably give you a warning first.

horndoctor 08-27-2009 01:52 AM

robsta you are next.They are watching.

Biker1 08-27-2009 03:42 AM

As long as you stay under the 5gb monthly cap, you should be fine.
Even if you go over, you probably will still be ok, as long as you don't go nuts.
Awhile ago, there were threads going around on other sites about some customers that were getting warning letters from Sprint regarding excess data usage.
The letters said that if the excess usage didn't stop, service would be terminated.
These threads may have been purposely started by Sprint employees for all anyone knew.
Bottomline is that if you don't get greedy, you should be ok.
I gotta go, I hear a knock on the door.... :(

horndoctor 08-27-2009 03:47 AM

I told you!!!!:(

robsta 08-27-2009 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 1124306)
robsta you are next.They are watching.

LOL, OH NOOOOS! They are coming for me! If you guys don't hear from me in the next couple days...you know why...