PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC CDMA Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

jjairal is keeping up the good workjjairal is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: best virtual keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2704 View Post
ok so i downloaded touchpal and it does seems to have a learning curve. So far it's worse than the standard full querty. Anybody have any suggestions on settings to apply to make it easier to use...i use the numbers alot to type addresses into google maps and amaze gps so quick switches between numeric and alphabet is a big plus.
I used to use touchpal. Numbers i think were the easiest think to get but like u said its a learning curve. U have to slide urfinger over the key i believe it was up then down to get numbers and down then up to make the letter caps. The keyboard is great cause u dont have to switch it to get numbers or icons. Only thing that bothers me was the keys on the far left seemd to be harder to use because they are on the edge of the screen and i never seemd to pres on the right spot. but it could be my phone or calibration.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: gsm

RR33 knows their stuffRR33 knows their stuffRR33 knows their stuffRR33 knows their stuffRR33 knows their stuffRR33 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinfla View Post
I currenty switch between fingerkeyboard and the stock compact qwerty and full qwerty keyboards but none of them seem well suited for strings of numbers like dates.

I would rather use a numeric keypad than rely on a long press for numbers but

-Compact Qwerty has no slash mark for dates on the numeric keyboard, you have to use a seperate symbol keyboard and then after pressing the slash it automatically switches to the alpha keyboard (same with the full qwerty).

-Neither fingerkeyboard or the stock full qwerty have decimal points in their numeric keyboards.

As a result, entering dates in a 8/25/09 format and numbers with decimal points requires a frustrating number of extra keystrokes or the use of the long press on the alpha keyboard.

Is there another keyboard out there that addresses these deficiencies?

bob
Hi,

you can try my layouts for FingerKeyboard2 on second post : HERE
unzip the archive and copy only the digits txt file to \program files\fingerkeyb\skins\ (make a backup of your original digits before : land for landscape & port for portrait)

Otherwise you can try PocketCM Keyboard v0.14 with my skins & layouts : HERE
PCMK14 uses intensive popup lines of 10 keys : hold a key 2 sec and slide to the left/right then release to type.
All ponctuations are on "space", all "bars" are on keyboard change (double arrows/123 key), cut-copy-paste are on "enter", each letter has CAPITAL+ words shortcuts. The numeric pad is also a kind of phonepad texting : type once and you'll get a number but hold 2 sec and you'll get a popup line with letters.
There are 2 kinds of layouts : ANSI & UNICODE to suit best your windows font (a few fonts are buggy with UNICODE but special symbols as Greek letters are only UNICODE).

Last edited by RR33; 08-25-2009 at 12:31 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Touch Diamond/BlackBerry Tour 9630

basilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdunn View Post
I have been using Finger Keyboard for quite a while, but also have SPB sitting on the shelf. Tell me more about how you're using this combination ... please. Thanks.
I have SPB Fullscreen mapped to Finger Keyboard. If I am cranking out an e-mail or alonger text, the Q key in portrait or the Language key in landscape get a small little keyboard icon mapped onto them. Press that and and you go to SPB fullscreen. Easy access to numbers and such:

Attached is a hastily edited photo of what each of the keyboards looks like w/ the mapping on them.

Last edited by basilray; 05-24-2012 at 11:39 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:19 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

whatthefunk is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
Leave it on 20 key mode and just learn to type with that. You will be amazed how fast you can go. I only use the full qwerty when I need to add a specific word to the dictionary or just type a certain set of characters.
I agree 100%. The T+ compact querty layout is the reason to use TouchPal. This is my primary keyboard. After a few days of practice, it's very fast! I'm using version 4 but I tweaked it to be more like 3.5 which I was already used to...

I patched v4 to use symbols instead of the numbers when you the press and slide down on the keys. This is more like v 3.5 and I always use the number tab for numbers. Here's the patch:
http://www.cootek.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=864

I also hide the toolbox (the buttons at the bottom)...as they really aren't necessary and I'd rather have that extra screen space available. The toolbox is new in v 4.0 but can be hidden by clicking on the settings tab (looks like a cog), sliding that panel to the right, and unchecking "enable toolbox".

Here are a few other tips for the V4 t+ layout that might not be obvious:

Double tap space bar to put a period followed by a space.
Press and slide left on backspace ("<-") key to delete an entire word.
Press and slide down on the backspace key for enter/return.
Press and slide up on the backspace key to toggle direct entry vs word prediction mode.
Press and slide a key to the left or right to force an exact letter.

Hope that's helpful.

Last edited by whatthefunk; 08-25-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Iphone 4s

violent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Touchpal 3.5 for me
Old 08-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC hero

jjday7 is keeping up the good workjjday7 is keeping up the good work

touchpal 3.5 is the best in my opinion. its the fastest to use and there are plenty of skins for it. I have used all of them. I don't like touchpal 4.0.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilray View Post
I have SPB Fullscreen mapped to Finger Keyboard. If I am cranking out an e-mail or alonger text, the Q key in portrait or the Language key in landscape get a small little keyboard icon mapped onto them. Press that and and you go to SPB fullscreen. Easy access to numbers and such:

Attached is a hastily edited photo of what each of the keyboards looks like w/ the mapping on them.
Thanks for the picture ... appreciate it.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:53 PM
VIP PATROL
Pocket PC: EVO 4G/3D
Carrier: SPRINT

JAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to JAVIERBOND007 Send a message via MSN to JAVIERBOND007 Send a message via Yahoo to JAVIERBOND007

TouchPal

Old 08-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc diamond

bobinfla is a n00b

I installed the fingerkeyboard digits skins and it looks like they are going to work out great.

I may check out PocketCM keyboard when I get a little more time.

thanks

bob

[QUOTE=RR33;1120944]Hi,

you can try my layouts for FingerKeyboard2 on second post : HERE
unzip the archive and copy only the digits txt file to \program files\fingerkeyb\skins\ (make a backup of your original digits before : land for landscape & port for portrait)

Otherwise you can try PocketCM Keyboard v0.14 with my skins & layouts : HERE
PCMK14 uses intensive popup lines of 10 keys : hold a key 2 sec and slide to the left/right then release to type.
All ponctuations are on "space", all "bars" are on keyboard change (double arrows/123 key), cut-copy-paste are on "enter", each letter has CAPITAL+ words shortcuts. The numeric pad is also a kind of phonepad texting : type once and you'll get a number but hold 2 sec and you'll get a popup line with letters.
There are 2 kinds of layouts : ANSI & UNICODE to suit best your windows font (a few fonts are buggy with UNICODE but special symbols as Greek letters are only UNICODE).

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond