PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   VZW; Anyway to get pda phone without getting data plan? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=80664)

buddhatikkigod 08-23-2009 11:55 AM

VZW; Anyway to get pda phone without getting data plan?

Hey guys, just found out in order to get a new PDA i have to get the $30 unlimited data plan. I know a lot of people like this plan and think PDA phone's are useless without them but i realy wouldnt use it much. Is there ANYWAY i can convince Verizon to give me a Touch Pro without getting that plan? I have a family account we pay almost $300 a month for the entire family and we are constantly on the fence about switching accounts, think that would help things? Bluffing on leaving? (although i am seriously condsidering leaving, looking into Sprint to see what kinda deals i can get)

meatgel 08-23-2009 12:53 PM

Re: VZW; Anyway to get pda phone without getting data plan?

I don't know how many phones you have on your family plan, but i have 4 phones ... miine is a Diamond ... all of us have unlimited data, unlimited text and we share 1500 minutes (but sprint to sprint minutes don't count against us and many of my friends have sprint) and I pay $198 a month including taxes ... and including $7 insurance on my Diamond. I can add another phone for another $20 with unlimited text and data.

Verizon gives lousy coverage in my area ... my sister-in-law next door to me just switched to Verizon and can't even receive calls in her home. Make sure you get good Sprint coverage before you switch for ANY reason.

:)

mulhiny 08-23-2009 01:45 PM

I don't know much about VZW, but $30 is a rip!! Go to Sprint.

buddhatikkigod 08-23-2009 01:55 PM

i might, im calling now to see if i can get a change in plan and get a data plan without raising price.

Biker1 08-23-2009 02:19 PM

Knowing how Verizon operates, probably not.
But you can always call and try to have them waive that requirement.
But the question is why even try when you can switch and save a ton of money.
You are spending around $3600.00 a year which is alot of money, especially in this economy or even any economy.
Take a look at what Sprint has to offer and you probably will save a bunch of money.
For some reason, it is hard for customers to leave a carrier, even if switching means they can save a bunch of money. That is what a carrier relies on. They know once they have you, you will probably stay.
But why put your hard earned money into the gas tank of the CEO's Yacht :confused:
My sister is also with Verizon.
She spends $50/month for 400 minutes. I think she gets some texts for a few dollars.
She could have switched to Sprint a year and a half ago and went on a 1000 minute plan for $50/month and received unlimited data, messaging, picture mail, etc. but she didn't. Her reason was that she saves $5 per month because she has a Verizon landline :confused:
You heard right. Didn't make any sense to me either. But Verizon had her hooked and she was too stubborn to admit it.
She continues to watch her minutes every month so she doesn't go over and she also has to watch her texting for the same reason.
She tells us this almost monthly yet when you bring the issue up of why stay if you always are watching your usage, she says it is not all the time.
Talking about DENIAL :(
My brother switched from Atnt and never looked back.
In both cases, Sprint has excellent coverage in both areas.
Anyway, my suggestion would be to make a list of the Pros and Cons of why you are with Verizon, and if the Pros outweigh the Cons, then by all means, stay. But if not, then look at what other carriers have to offer you in regards to coverage, cost, plan features, insurance, etc., etc.
Good luck in whatever you decide.
If you can save $100/month which is $1200 year and get just as good or better coverage, more features, etc., think about what you can do with that money.
And if the money does not mean that much to you, then why give it to Verizon Corporate when you can use it for yourself and family? :)

bradart 08-23-2009 03:12 PM

Verizon with their PDAs act exactly like ATT with the iphone. You pay for the required no matter what. no ifs ands or buts. They don't care whether you need it or not. Sad to say it, but you better either eat the cost or switch.

jon6535 08-24-2009 12:25 PM

Like bradart said, verizon is very stingy and will not let you activate a diamond without the data plan. I am about 99% sure, but you can call, maybe in your area they will do it, but its very low odds. If you can switch to sprint do that, if not, your gonna have to pay verizon the $30 extra a month. These phones tend to use the internet alot (weather, email) so you will probably find yourself using the data plan more than you think.

strikeback03 08-25-2009 10:06 PM

Not sure if it is still the case ( I do use more than enough data to need the data plan) but in my area you used to be able to get smartphones without data plans on business lines, not consumer. So if you have a way of switching to a business plan it might work (though no idea if they cover the cost some other way).

Unfortunately around here Verizon is pretty much my only option. AT&T doesn't have good enough coverage and I'll never go back to Sprint after the way they screwed me with my old phone.

MrObvious 08-26-2009 02:13 AM

T-Mobile?

strikeback03 08-26-2009 09:55 PM

pretty much non-existant