PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 05:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

06MS6 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How are text messages stored in Windows Mobile?

Ok so here is my situation.

I've been storing my text messages on the Internal Storage card, an idea found in one of the posts here. I figured doing this would do a couple of things, it would save me precious system storage space and it would allow me to easily get my messages back after a flash. Well it seems that is not the case.

I flashed to Mighty 4.1, where storing messages in Internal Storage is done from the get-go. I can see all the files for my old messages from before the flash but they do not show up in my text inbox. I am just wondering if anyone knows how Windows Mobile keeps track of the text message files since it seems it is not as easy as taking those files and putting them into the current store folder.

I used to use PPC PIM backup to backup my messages but after a while the threaded conversations weren't showing up correctly, even though all the messages were there, so I thought this would be an easier solution.

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:25 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100
Re: How are text messages stored in Windows Mobile?

i believe the number of messages are only governed by the amount of memory available....

ALL HAIL SUCCESS100!!! lol!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
i believe the number of messages are only governed by the amount of memory available....
So you don't know why they aren't showing up after a reflash? All the individual message files are still in the message folder on my Internal Storage card but they are not shown in the text message inbox.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:50 PM
intx is the sexiest VIP
Pocket PC: Hero

intx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to intx Send a message via Yahoo to intx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06MS6 View Post
So you don't know why they aren't showing up after a reflash? All the individual message files are still in the message folder on my Internal Storage card but they are not shown in the text message inbox.
It seems to be random for me, I've flashed twice and one time they all came back and one time they didn't.

Not sure..=/
Old 01-11-2009, 03:52 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Sprint TP2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

sc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIP

I've actually played around with this quite a bit but it got frustrating setting everything up after every reflash/update I did.
If I understood you correctly: you like storing the message bodies (this means emails & txts alike) on the Internal Storage instead of the program memory.
HKLM\System\Inbox\Settings\
String "AttachPath" (attachments)
String "PropertyPath" (Message body)

(Disclaimer: This Is just how I did it. PLEASE GOD SOME FIND A BETTER WAY! The actual messages still needed PIMbackup to reinsert them into the .vol database file.)

So, The first thing I would always do would be to go into Messaging and check off the option to store attachments on the storage card. This makes WM create an attachment folder in the Internal Storage. The problem is that the name is unique & WM just created it as "AttachPath" in the registry (ie "\Internal Storage\Inbox.mst29979681.1250487424\Mail Attachments\")
Then I would go in and add the reg entry string:"PropertyPath" with a similar name as attachments (ie "\Internal Storage\Inbox.mst29979681.1250487424\")

Yay! That seems totally worth it right.... Right?
Well there's the reg entries to mess at least. Good luck. My next step would be to see if PIMbackup used the new values when I went to restore, I haven't tried that yet.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00b4s7eve View Post
(Disclaimer: This Is just how I did it. PLEASE GOD SOME FIND A BETTER WAY! The actual messages still needed PIMbackup to reinsert them into the .vol database file.)
So this part, the reinserting into the .vol database file, is the reason they don't just automatically show up in the inbox after a reflash? Why do things in Windows systems have to be so intertwined lol...
Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

bmwguy259 is a n00b

to the OP, I have the same exact problem and am pretty frustrated. I can see the older text messages in the text message section of the touchflo3d, but not when it's threaded. all i see are the messages that I've sent! like he said, the messages ARE there, but can anyone help us figure out where the file is located and how we could go about moving it back?

thanks!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:07 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Telus

chad.wray is just getting started

Try Microsoft My Phone, it backs up the msgs to the interenet, you can view them online and after a flash just sync using the my phone app and it comes back.
I use this and it works great
Old 04-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Still a Geek
Pocket PC: GalaxyS Fascinate; Bold 9650 on the shelf incase!
Carrier: VZW/Sprint

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions

since I don't store my messages more than a day or so I can't vouch for this but I think I remember reading a post where the fix was to disable threaded text before backup pim.vol and messaging folder on storage card... then when you've restored those two setups after flash/etc you can re-enable threading to get the messages setup correctly.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:16 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I never have to do that.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond