PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 01:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

x42384 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
MIGHTYROM6 / Tethering

Just upgraded from Sprint Stock ROM/MIGHTROM4 and then to MIGHTYROM6. With Sprint Stock ROM, tethering worked ok with the registry hack. Now that upgraded to MIGHTYROM6, tethering automatically works ok. No need to modify registry. (maybe chefs did it already)

The question I have is when you connect the USB cable, you select "internet sharing". You have two options under Network Connnections: "DATA" and "Phone as Modem". Regardless of which I choose, my laptop always gets a IP address and able to get to internet. What is the diff between these two settings.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Iphone 4s

violent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: MIGHTYROM6 / Tethering

use Data, PAM may flag Sprint to give you a call.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent31601 View Post
use Data, PAM may flag Sprint to give you a call.
To elaborate on this a little bit more, phone as modem is a service that most carriers offer as a way to tether your phone for an additional fee (of course). When using the DATA option, it does not go through their network as a phone being used as a modem; they simply see that your phone is using data. this is sometime referred to as a "violation of the EULA", so it typically is not in the internet sharing app by default. By default, all phones have the phone as modem option. The hacks are what make DATA appear there and, unless you like paying extra, you would do well to use that option.

Sponsored by Kools.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Iphone 4s

violent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradart View Post
To elaborate on this a little bit more, phone as modem is a service that most carriers offer as a way to tether your phone for an additional fee (of course). When using the DATA option, it does not go through their network as a phone being used as a modem; they simply see that your phone is using data. this is sometime referred to as a "violation of the EULA", so it typically is not in the internet sharing app by default. By default, all phones have the phone as modem option. The hacks are what make DATA appear there and, unless you like paying extra, you would do well to use that option.

nice explanation!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart

Thanks! I find too often that explanations are too vague and spawn more questions. Just trying to keep it all clear
Old 08-21-2009, 12:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond
Threadstarter

x42384 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradart View Post
Thanks for the info. I was aware of what PAM was, but what threw me off was the hack in which both selections automatically show up in the list. When I had the Sprint stock ROM with Reg hack, I did not remember both showing up in the list. Anyways, as you/violent31601 stated, use DATA or else Sprint security guards may call you. Tethering seems to work fine for me.

thanks again.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond