PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 12:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

shaned197 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Got data.. have a question!

I finally broke down and got data/internet on sprint. Was previously only using wifi for all my internet needs but realized for this phone to be fully functional I need an internet plan.

My question is when I use the data (for example updating weather), the data symbol (two arrows) up top remains. Does this mean the phone is still receiving data and killing battery life? If so is there a quicker way then going into comm manager ---> data connection to turn it off?

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: The Now Network

mulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Got data.. have a question!

Yes, seeing those arrows means data is on, just not active. It will eat battery. I have my "long press end key" set to kill data. Works well.

"I am Mulhiny and I am a flasher"..wmdunn
"I am Mulhiny and I'm a phone junkie"..Riley
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:49 PM
VIP Member

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaned197 View Post
I finally broke down and got data/internet on sprint. Was previously only using wifi for all my internet needs but realized for this phone to be fully functional I need an internet plan.

My question is when I use the data (for example updating weather), the data symbol (two arrows) up top remains. Does this mean the phone is still receiving data and killing battery life? If so is there a quicker way then going into comm manager ---> data connection to turn it off?

Thanks!
If you kill the data but you use push mail, or pull mail set at intervals, or if you use data often, you will use more battery power to restart the data session than you would if you left data on.
This has been discussed by members here that cook their own ROMS and have done testing on the battery usage. If there is a gain, it is very little.
There is also a tweak you can do to the registry that would automatically turn data off in 60 seconds or whatever time you set.
Most set it to 60.
But as I said, if you use applications discussed above that use data or enterdata sessions often, it is best to leave data on.
And a few registry tweaks
HTC DIAMOND DISASSEMBLY/ASSEMBLY/PARTS/REPAIR HELP HERE >

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security"
-Ben Franklin

Last edited by Biker1; 08-16-2009 at 10:53 PM. Reason: content
Old 08-17-2009, 11:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks for both replies!! Will hopefully help in my battery issues
Old 08-17-2009, 12:22 PM
VIP Member

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaned197 View Post
Thanks for both replies!! Will hopefully help in my battery issues
You can change a registry regarding battery polling. From 5000 to 20000.
That helps to have more battery reserve throughout the day.
Let me me know if you want to do that tweak.
It is alittle more involved to change the registry setting as you need a Task Manager that changes the registry. And you have to be careful.
I only mention this because I see you want to make your battery last longer.

Last edited by Biker1; 08-17-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulhiny View Post
Yes, seeing those arrows means data is on, just not active. It will eat battery. I have my "long press end key" set to kill data. Works well.
how do I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker1 View Post
You can change a registry regarding battery polling. From 5000 to 20000.
That helps to have more battery reserve throughout the day.
Let me me know if you want to do that tweak.
It is alittle more involved to change the registry setting as you need a Task Manager that changes the registry. And you have to be careful.
I only mention this because I see you want to make your battery last longer.
how do I do that?

Old 08-17-2009, 03:49 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
how do I do that?

how do I do that?

Regarding battery polling >

HKLM/Drivers/BuiltIn/Battery
Look for PollingInterval and change the decimal value data to
If you have done Registry Editing before, no problem.
If not, then you need a TaskManager such as DotFred Task Manager 3.1 that also enables you to Registry Edit and many other things.
Be careful while Registry Editing or you can really screw things up.
Make sure you have a Back up in case you have to do a Hard Reset because you changed a registry that you were not supposed to, and forgot what you changed.
But if you read up on Registry Editing and are careful, you should not have any problems.
Something Reset after changing the value data.
Changing the Polling Interval value data should help with getting more out of your battery.

EDIT:
If you have a CUSTOM ROM, you may already have this registry tweak done already. So check it out and see what the value data is.

Last edited by Biker1; 08-17-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: content specifics
Old 08-17-2009, 04:08 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
how do I do that?

how do I do that?

Regarding Long Press End Key >
Go to:
Settings>
System> (center tab)
Long Press End Key>
then
Tick the box that says "Terminate data connection"
then
press ok

Last edited by Biker1; 08-17-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: specific content
Old 08-17-2009, 04:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks again guys.. another quick question..

I only pay for the 15$ internet from Sprint.. if a program says it uses gps.. is this included through the data package or could it possibly be charging me more?
Old 08-17-2009, 05:59 PM
VIP Member

As long as you have UNLIMITED Data (aka 5gb monthly cap), and the GPS Program does not have any additional costs such as a monthly charge, you should be ok.
But always check with the GPS Program provider regarding any charges or fees.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond