PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO...nothin but the BEST!
Carrier: Sprint

TREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Screen keeps on turning on

NunyaBiz...Do you have anything running in the background, that might wake your phone? Or post a list of what you have installed on your phone.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:29 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Yeah what programs are running and installed?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:43 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

NunyaBiz is a n00b

When I got the new replacement phone recently, I purposefully didn't install any programs on it for several days to see how it would behave and it had the same screen-waking issues from the very start so I know it's not because of anything I've installed. I think that both 1xRTT and EVDO coverage with Sprint are just both very weak in my area, especially in my house and the constant network switching between the 2 is what keeps waking the screen. I thought forcing the 1xRTT would solve it, but even that signal is weak with my Diamond at home (although I never had problems with my old A900) and the screen probably was still waking constantly whenever the signal was temporarily lost or interrupted.

I've found that when I'm in a really strong coverage area, the screen doesn't come on continually. In my mind, there's no conceivable advantage/purpose to having the screen wake when the phone switches between EVDO and 1xRTT and it's just a serious software flaw (likely with WM6.1 since I think the problem still persists for those who have it despite flashing to new ROMs). I was hoping that the new Sprint 1.11 radio would help, but it didn't. I've always been with Sprint and have lived in the same place for 10 years and I think my Diamond gets the worst reception of any phone I've had. I've considered flashing a Verizon radio as Verizon has stronger coverage here, but I've read that there's some fine print in mobile contracts that stipulates if an excessive amount of your calls are picked up on another carrier's network, you can be charged roaming fees even if you have an unlimited roaming plan so I don't want to go that route.

What I need to know is if there's a way to disable the screen from waking upon network switching. Perhaps a registry hack? It has to be software related. Something in WM6.1 is forcing the screen to wake on that event and I'm hoping there's a way to disable it.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:04 AM
I see you have a PPC.

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Force it to roam at home off Verizon?
Old 09-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Lurker

NunyaBiz is a n00b

Forcing roam at home with Verizon's network might be an option since it's not like I'm actually using the phone all the time at home, but would Sprint still count it against me that I'm roaming so much just for being on Verizon's network or only if I'm actually making calls or using data services? I'm afraid of ending up with some ridiculous bill.

How do you force roaming?

I would consider getting an AirRave but I refuse to pay a monthly fee to use my own broadband connection that I'm already paying for to supplement their weak signals. I don't mind paying for the equipment, but I think it's ridiculous that they charge a monthly fee. For what? What continuing service are they providing me? Calls would still get charged against my allotted minutes.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:52 PM
I see you have a PPC.

I think you can force it without too much penalty. Just be careful of how much you use it. I can't remember where the registry hack is but it's under the Phone Settings menu then Services, then under there in one of the options.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Lurker

NunyaBiz is a n00b

I'm still too nervous to flash to a Verizon radio because I fear being on their network so much will result in my getting a huge bill from Sprint for excessive roaming. I may just have to hope a new Sprint radio comes out that gives me better reception at home or that the issue is possibly resolved in WM6.5 (if I can even upgrade).
Old 09-18-2009, 05:16 PM
I see you have a PPC.

I'm running a Telus radio. You will be fine.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Lurker

NunyaBiz is a n00b

Are you with Sprint and running a Telus radio? Do you use your phone a lot? Doesn't it create any red flags that you're never on your carrier's network?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond