PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 01:59 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HTC Diamond LCD & Digitizer Disassembly & Assembly/ Parts & Repair

August 13, 2009
Added some Parts & Repair Services Sites
Remember to research these services on your own before using them.

I came across the following information by researching an answer to a member's post regarding a touchscreen issue.
I wanted to start a separate thread on the topic as it may be easier for others to find this info if needed.
There are alot of Diamond assembly instructions online but not many concentrate on the LCD screen and Digitizer.
Many of us Diamond owners are coming up on a year since we purchased our Diamonds which means that our one year manufacturer's warranty will be up soon. If you don't have insurance, you may find yourself in a position where you will have to look into the following info provided so you can get your Diamond back on the road.
With the screen separation issues that HTC has not resolved yet, many of us may experience screen failures after that one year warranty expires. I have had a screen separation failure that was covered and I also have insurance, but many of us don't.

The following links help provide sites where you can purchase the necessary parts and tools. Some links provide information of where you can access necessary manuals while there are sites that provide detailed assembly instructions.
I have not purchased or used the info from these sites for my own personal assembly and these sites are only posted to be used as references.
I take no responsibility if you use the referenced sites and your Diamond turns into coal
One constant is that if you need to replace either the LCD Screen and/or Digitizer, you should purchase both as a preassembled unit as the installation will be quicker and easier and yield better results.
Here are the links>>

Parts & Service >>
http://www.pdasmart.com/htc_touch_diamond.htm
And another one>
http://www.formymobile.co.uk/htcdiamonddisassembly.php
Here's another link:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=413940
Take a look at this blog.
While there are online disassembly instructions for the Diamond, not many are specific about the LCD Screen and Digitizer. >>
http://blog.fuelip.com/wordpress/?p=5
Appears to involve soldering, etc.
Not as simple as just plug & play.
It appears that you can purchase the LCD & Digitizer preassembled as one unit to avoid alot of extra work and make replacement much easier
And a few registry tweaks
HTC DIAMOND DISASSEMBLY/ASSEMBLY/PARTS/REPAIR HELP HERE >

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security"
-Ben Franklin

Last edited by Biker1; 08-13-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: additional info
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:38 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: HTC Diamond LCD & Digitizer Disassembly & Assembly

I found this Youtube video.
No sound but it gives you a good idea of what is involved in the disassembly of the Diamond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUnH8O-1jII
There are some additional disassembly & assembly videos on the same page.

Last edited by Biker1; 08-02-2009 at 05:31 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:45 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Re: HTC Diamond LCD & Digitizer Disassembly & Assembly

I will keep the manuals in this post. Here is the HTC Touch Diamond Service Manual.
While some sites offer the Manual for $7.99, this site has all 109 pages as a pdf download for Free >>
http://www.google.com/m/url?cd=6&cha...Elw-5xd4Xcs9vQ

Last edited by Biker1; 08-13-2009 at 04:05 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:10 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Re: HTC Diamond LCD & Digitizer Disassembly & Assembly/ Parts & Repair

If anyone has worked on their own Diamond, involving Disassembly and removing and placing parts, it would be nice to hear about it, as it may help others trying to do similar work.
If you used any of the posted sites to assist in your work, post here.
Maybe you attempted to do some work but realized that you were missing a certain tool, and had to wait another day until you got that tool. Meanwhile you were without your Diamond for that period of time.
If you replaced your vibration motor, post it here as this seems to be a reoccurring issue with some Diamonds.
Also, if you found additional sites that would be helpful, feel free to post them.
I posted this post because I see there are a few Thanks so I wanted to know if anyone has attempting any work on their Diamonds.
I think alot of us will be keeping our Diamonds for awhile, so eventually some of us may be working on our Diamonds ourselves.
Working on our own Diamonds may not be feasible as reassembly may not be as easy as disassembly. I don't know if this is the case or not.
Maybe some spare parts are necessary to keep around if disassembly is ever attempted, like gaskets or something?
Let us know.

Last edited by Biker1; 08-26-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

Major_Nate knows their stuffMajor_Nate knows their stuffMajor_Nate knows their stuffMajor_Nate knows their stuffMajor_Nate knows their stuffMajor_Nate knows their stuff

I tried to replace the LCD only on a diamond yesterday at my shop, but it didn't want to seat right afterwards, so I just went and replaced the whole LCD & Front housing.

Service & Repair Questions? Check out this thread:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=74927

Sprint/Nextel Service & Repair Technician

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/6932/ubda1308kz0.gif
Don't forget to click on the "THANKS" button if I've helped you.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Virtually, I am a Ppc
Pocket PC: SAMSUNG EPIC 4G

Hypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the community

Here is a great source for The Diamond any any other HTC Service and user manuals.
http://www.mikechannon.net/

HTC Service Manuals / Dismantling Guides

HTC User Manuals

Non HTC Manuals

Files awaiting indexing

PDA Sites / Database

PDA Parts / Repair

Contact Page

**Got Lasers?? Check out our site for shows and equipment:
http://www.ctlasers.com/

-A quick thanks always helps!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:54 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic2010 View Post
Here is a great source for The Diamond any any other HTC Service and user manuals.
http://www.mikechannon.net/

HTC Service Manuals / Dismantling Guides

HTC User Manuals

Non HTC Manuals

Files awaiting indexing

PDA Sites / Database

PDA Parts / Repair

Contact Page

Thanks for the additional reference.
Should be pretty helpful.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:01 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_Nate View Post
I tried to replace the LCD only on a diamond yesterday at my shop, but it didn't want to seat right afterwards, so I just went and replaced the whole LCD & Front housing.
Considering you work on the Diamonds on a daily basis, how long did it take you to replace the LCD with the housing (total time disassembly & assembly?)
Just out of curiosity, if the Diamond was for personal use, would you have also replaced the Digitizer since it was all apart anyway?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:57 AM
p2k
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: TELUS

p2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I've ordered from Dealextreme for replacement LCDs for my DS Lite, and I've come across Diamond digitizer... never ordered those but they have 2 kinds...

Square Bezel
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20647

Ovally Square Bezel
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20648

Both are 16 bux US Free shipping...
Old 09-27-2009, 01:11 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: SGH-T959D leaked 'Official' froyo
Carrier: Telus

Rabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuff

Anyone found a replacement housing for a CDMA Diamond? The guts are fine on mine, but I got it used and it is pretty worn.

ROM: DarkRoot

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond