PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

meepzork is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wifi kills 3G?

I have a Sprint Touch Diamond. The thing has been pretty solid, Ive had it for about 9 months. Today it dawns on me that I have never tried to use Wifi on it. So I set it up but then my 3G data connection dies. Everything I tried was unable to get it back, so I call Sprint. After an hour on the phone with "escalated support" I had to do a hard reset to get the phone working again.

So, like an idiot I decided to try to set up Wifi again and sure enough the data connection takes a dive. This time Sprint says they have to replace my phone. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it possible that I just have a defective phone?
Old 07-19-2009, 11:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

castnorth is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Wifi kills 3G?

Typically, when the wifi is on then the 3g takes a backseat (at least that is what I have observed) and then when you switch back the 3g comes back. I have done this for quite a while without your problem...so a replacement is probably the right option.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: x
Carrier: x

Primenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPrimenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPrimenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPrimenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Well when I use my phone as a wifi hotspot (wifirouter) they both are going full on at the same time

What are you trying to do as far as using your phone, because you can only use one specific connection type for say opera or ie.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

meepzork is a n00b

I was just trying to browse the net. Nothing special, I just figured I paid the money for a wifi phone, I should use it once in a while.

I have an update for anyone paying attention. So on sunday sprint tells me theyre going to send me a new phone to replace mine ("should arrive by tuesday").

Fast forward to tuesday, i call sprint to get an update and they tell me that there was a mistake and my ticket was already closed. They give me a repair ticket number and tell me that if i go to a repair center i can exchange the phone today and get a new one. So i go after work to the repair shop and they tell me that they have to create a new ticket and i will have to come back on thursday to exchange for a new phone.

The next day i call sprint and ask them why i was told i could exchange the same day, then told i would have to wait 2 days after i made the trip. Sprint says they dont know what happened but they cant do anything about it.

Thursday after work i go back to the repair center. This time they have a phone. Its a refurb even though all along i have been told i would receive a new one. Whatever I just want a working phone. After sitting with the tech for 40 minutes verifying that i dont have the same issue (wifi killing 3g) i exchange the phone. While walking out i notice that the stylus doesnt fit in the slot (it sticks out to the side, and no longer was held in place with a magnet), and that the power button on the top doesnt work. I take it back to the repair desk and tell them to give me my old phone back. They give me another repair ticket and tell me to come back on monday.

I wonder if this is how they treat all of their "Premier" customers.
to be continued.....
Old 07-24-2009, 04:57 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Just make a call to Retentions and complain.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

meepzork is a n00b

Ok so theres somewhat of an ending to this story. While i waited at Sprint for over an hour today, i figured out the problem myself. My home network doesnt have DHCP so i have to assign the IP manually. I assumed the wifi NIC and the 3G NIC were separate. This apparently is not true and if you assign a static wifi IP, you will block 3G. Therefore of course the replacement phone they gave me has the exact same problem.

So long story short, there was no problem and Sprint support is retarded, and now i have a shiny new refurb that heats up like hot potato any time you use it for an extended time.

I have TEP, how long do you think i have to wait to get diamond2 as a replacement?
Old 07-30-2009, 02:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond -> vzw
Carrier: Verizon

mclaser is becoming a great contributor

There's a program called WiFiProfiles that works great for switching from static IP back to auto. I think there 's also a sticky on this issue.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond

jsisson is a n00b

Have exact same problem - thought I was going crazy - have spent hours and hours on phone - 3 times all ending in hard reset. I didn't realize the WiFi Lan card settings affected the cellular data - I guess Sprint tech support doesn't either.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond