\"PPCGeeks\"

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   [SOLVED] Washed my phone in the washing machine... :( (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=74090)

click 07-08-2009 12:14 PM

[SOLVED] Washed my phone in the washing machine... :(

[SOLVED] - UPDATE #4: It fully works!!! The screen looks fine, I have full responsiveness from every feature, and even managed to retrieve all my old files!!! Some very good advice in this thread for sure.
Only one issue still remains -- the battery only lasts for about 10minutes before it dies. Any ideas on that one?

I just put my phone in the washing machine... what a terrible thing to do! Right now it doesn't turn on, won't charge, nothing...

Anyone have any ideas? Or know how to get a replacement from bell?

UPDATE: my phone is now turning on, but never gets past the first screen... maybe if I leave it off for a little while longer, i might actually be able to salvage my phone? perhaps it is just the memory that is corrupt... fingers are crossed!!!

UPDATE #2: phone is being reflashed from internal storage (had the previous rom I flashed still there), and seem to be doing just fine... maybe all hope is not yet lost! Phone is rebooting for the first time, I will keep updating as progress continues

UPDATE #3: still getting stuck at bootloader.. just shows version info and exits... more time needed to dry?

majorassface 07-08-2009 12:16 PM

Re: Washed my phone in the washing machine... :(

On the bright side you have a nice clean paperweight! Sorry but no idea how to get a new one from Bell. Good luck though!

banjoeball 07-08-2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by click (Post 1022035)
I just put my phone in the washing machine... what a terrible thing to do! Right now it doesn't turn on, won't charge, nothing...

Anyone have any ideas? Or know how to get a replacement from bell?

You sir, are likely outta luck. At least for Telus, water damage is not covered under the warranty/return policy. When I cracked my screen, I took it in and had to pay $140 to get a replacement unit.

HOWEVER! I called the customer care line and they hooked me up with a $140 credit, because it was a freak accident, and I'm a poor student. :) So you never know what you can get if you don't call 'em!

{ FYI } The phones have a water-sensor pad, under the back cover and under the battery. The ones on the diamond look white with red stipes I'm guessing yours is now pink, which means to the bell technician that you water-damaged your phone.

Bet of Luck!!

click 07-08-2009 12:29 PM

oh man, my water indicator is more than pink... it is more like a dark maroon colour now. :(

Looks like I need to hit up craigslist or kijiji then...

codybear 07-08-2009 12:41 PM

There was a thread on somehting about how to recover from water damage or something like that. let me see if I can find it.

click 07-08-2009 12:48 PM

I found one that said to put the phone in distilled water, supposedly helps clean the minerals out? I was also temped to try using electronics safe contact cleaner

UPDATE: my phone is now turning on, but never gets past the first screen... maybe if I leave it off for a little while longer, i might actually be able to salvage my phone? perhaps it is just the memory that is corrupt... fingers are crossed!!!

codybear 07-08-2009 01:05 PM

well here's one thread,
it's not the one I was looking for,
it has one of the possible solutions though.
http://ppcgeeks.com/forum.ppcgeeks/s...ad.php?t=61515

I'm continuing to look through my posts,
I couldn't find it using search/google.
I know I made a post,
I just hope it was within the last 500.
I think it was though, but not sure where within those 500.
I'll keep ya updated.

codybear 07-08-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by click (Post 1022128)
I found one that said to put the phone in distilled water, supposedly helps clean the minerals out? I was also temped to try using electronics safe contact cleaner

I would try the rice in the tuperware thing that was posted in the link I just posted.
It should get rid of any remaining moisture within it.
Then we'll see if it will work.

thacounty 07-08-2009 01:17 PM

Definitely put it in a bag of rice. Then put that in the fridge. You should never turn it on after it contacts water until it has dried for 48 hours! It more than likely would have worked but peoples biggest mistake is turning it on too soon. I feel sorry for you, hope it works!

codybear 07-08-2009 01:19 PM

Weird, it had to be a while ago that it was posted.
Or it was deleted?
I can't find it.

Anyone else know the link to the thread?
If so please do post it,
I would like to save it in my subscriptions as I thought I did. :/