PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 02:46 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Washed my phone in the washing machine... :(

Leave the phone in dry rice overnight.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: moment
Carrier: sprint

htcman724 knows their stuffhtcman724 knows their stuffhtcman724 knows their stuffhtcman724 knows their stuffhtcman724 knows their stuffhtcman724 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to htcman724 Send a message via Yahoo to htcman724

not sure about bell but sprint offers their insurance and YES it covers water damage.call bell ask about the ins and if its covered get it wait a little while and take ut to the store with the ins claim might cost 100 to replace but better than 400
Old 07-08-2009, 11:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Threadstarter

click is becoming a great contributor

Thanks for the updates guys, I will definatly have to try the rice thing. I left my phone to soak in contact cleaner for about 8hrs, and it seems to have dried out the entire phone (actually, even the screen is clear of water!!!)

Now, the phone still loops (displays red writting at the bottom for firmware, etc... then reboots), but it now at least recognizes the usb port, and is picked up by the computer.

My question is, is there anyway that I can access the internal storage? can it be turned into a flash drive, usb, etc...?? or can this be accessed via the bootloader & usb?

Thanks again for the help.

P.S.: turns out the phone isn't covered under warantee, and I would be responsible to pay the "30 day" cost: $499.95 plus tax and ESN fee = $615.19!!! So, craigslist it is!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Sprint

monkeyboy is keeping up the good workmonkeyboy is keeping up the good work

you're crazy for constantly trying to turn your phone on like that... it GREATLY increases the chance of damage.

when you first get a phone doused, you should *immediately* remove the battery. don't even try to charge it or anything that might run *any* currents through its circuit. remove the battery and make all attempts to completely dry it out FIRST.

how you dry it out depends... if the water was fairly clean (washing machine prolly counts), then you can try the simply methods first. First, of course, is physical, try to remove as much water as possible using "G-force". Then you can bake the device in LOW heat (perhaps 120-150deg F), preferably wrapped in dry towels. Or if you have access to a drying oven (low heat, with a dessicant (e.g. calcium chloride or calcium sulfate).

If however, you poured Coke, wine, coffee, etc on your device, you'll want to wash the device with a solvent. Generally ethanol (90-95%, EtOH) works the best. It *will* also dissolve some ink markings, but it should be safe with the plastics, most glues and paints. EtOH really "grab" the water and then evaporates quickly. Here's where removing the battery is absolutely essential, since liquids like Coke or Wine are quite acidic and you are setting up all these little batteries and resistors where they shouldn't be -- very easy to destroy circuits and components. Pure water, OTOH is not a good conductor.

ONLY after you are sure, and double sure that the device is *completely* dry (wait an extra few hours, if need be), should you even attempt to reinstall the battery and test the device. The second you see its not, remove the battery and try drying more...

Just last week, my son ran his flipphone through the washing machine. I did as I prescribed above and its fine now... took about 3 hours of drying, baking, etc.
This post has been thanked 8 times.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:41 PM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
you're crazy for constantly trying to turn your phone on like that... it GREATLY increases the chance of damage.

when you first get a phone doused, you should *immediately* remove the battery. don't even try to charge it or anything that might run *any* currents through its circuit. remove the battery and make all attempts to completely dry it out FIRST.

how you dry it out depends... if the water was fairly clean (washing machine prolly counts), then you can try the simply methods first. First, of course, is physical, try to remove as much water as possible using "G-force". Then you can bake the device in LOW heat (perhaps 120-150deg F), preferably wrapped in dry towels. Or if you have access to a drying oven (low heat, with a dessicant (e.g. calcium chloride or calcium sulfate).

If however, you poured Coke, wine, coffee, etc on your device, you'll want to wash the device with a solvent. Generally ethanol (90-95%, EtOH) works the best. It *will* also dissolve some ink markings, but it should be safe with the plastics, most glues and paints. EtOH really "grab" the water and then evaporates quickly. Here's where removing the battery is absolutely essential, since liquids like Coke or Wine are quite acidic and you are setting up all these little batteries and resistors where they shouldn't be -- very easy to destroy circuits and components. Pure water, OTOH is not a good conductor.

ONLY after you are sure, and double sure that the device is *completely* dry (wait an extra few hours, if need be), should you even attempt to reinstall the battery and test the device. The second you see its not, remove the battery and try drying more...

Just last week, my son ran his flipphone through the washing machine. I did as I prescribed above and its fine now... took about 3 hours of drying, baking, etc.

Thank you bro. Haha, op is hurting me when he keeps saying that he boots into something. I am afraid he has now gotten himself beyond repair! Thanks for the new ideas, I will be adding that single post to my sig haha.

EDIT: You have been thanked and I added it to my sig, unless you object haha.

Last edited by thacounty; 07-08-2009 at 11:48 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: SPRINT

savage25rcracer knows their stuffsavage25rcracer knows their stuffsavage25rcracer knows their stuffsavage25rcracer knows their stuffsavage25rcracer knows their stuffsavage25rcracer knows their stuff

did you try the "LOST" / "STOLEN" claim i did once with sprint and only had to pay $49 (i had insurance) or just crush the phone a little make sure you get the piece where the water strip is and umm did you "LOSE" your battery (i think there is a water strip on it)

Last edited by savage25rcracer; 07-09-2009 at 12:55 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

ok, i am convinced -- I have kept the phone off, and have not turned it on since. I left it to soak again in contact cleaner (to get rid of any other residue), and will put it in the oven once it is completely dry of solvent (don't want to light it on fire!!).

I don't have any drying agents lying around, but would those dry-pack things that come in dry food products work ok? Should work under roughly the same principals.

Thanks again!

And good point on the "stolen" / "lost" approach. I will see if that can change anything for me!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: SPRINT

savage25rcracer knows their stuffsavage25rcracer knows their stuffsavage25rcracer knows their stuffsavage25rcracer knows their stuffsavage25rcracer knows their stuffsavage25rcracer knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
ok, i am convinced -- I have kept the phone off, and have not turned it on since. I left it to soak again in contact cleaner (to get rid of any other residue), and will put it in the oven once it is completely dry of solvent (don't want to light it on fire!!).

I don't have any drying agents lying around, but would those dry-pack things that come in dry food products work ok? Should work under roughly the same principals.

Thanks again!

And good point on the "stolen" / "lost" approach. I will see if that can change anything for me!
silica gel would be good for drying its the stuff that comes in a little white packet which usually comes in shoe boxes and gift boxes. i also believe it is the main ingredient in the newer type of crystal kitty litter.

Last edited by savage25rcracer; 07-09-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: [SOLVED] Washed my phone in the washing machine... :(

[SOLVED] - UPDATE #4: It fully works!!! The screen looks fine, I have full responsiveness from every feature, and even managed to retrieve all my old files!!! Some very good advice in this thread for sure.

Only one issue still remains -- the battery only lasts for about 10 minutes before it dies. Any ideas on that one?
Old 07-10-2009, 12:13 PM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty
Re: [SOLVED] Washed my phone in the washing machine... :(

Nice! Glad you got it working. You need a new battery! If you get away for 40 dollars or so I'd say you did good! Haha. I have a TP Battery that maybe was used once that should work. Id give it to you for 35 shipped.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond