PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Negrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Whats the diff GSM/CDMA?

I have a cdma diamond. why cant i put a gsm diamond rom on it? whats the difference?? can a gsm rom be ported to a cdma diamond???

btw... I'm well aware of the differences between GSM/CDMA (i.e. sim card...). Just not the interal aspect of it. Thanks guys.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Re: Whats the diff GSM/CDMA?

i found a pretty good article on the subject here: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/151
Old 06-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned User
Threadstarter

Negrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlin View Post
i found a pretty good article on the subject here: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/151
Interesting read, but im still not sure why i cant load a gsm rom on my sprint diamond.

Does it basically, boil down to something like a driver, or what have you looking for a specific frequency that its not going to find?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Alltel

ajaxingtonI is a n00b

maybe it interferes with the radio.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

I'm pretty sure it's just not a software issue. I think that cdma phones have a different chipset than gsm phones so no matter what you do rom wise or driver wise it won't make a difference. CDMA stands for coded digital multiple access. It was a technology developed by the military. It is much more secure in transmission because not only is it digital it is encrypted as well. The radios are probably completely different.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

Basically it comes down to drivers. ROMs can be ported from GSM devices by simply replacing a few folders that are mostly drivers in the way that they will communicate with the hardware of the phone. Radio aspects are completely different, and flashing a GSM radio will brick your phone, so I advise against that. ROMs are easy to port though.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Banned User
Threadstarter

Sweet, i was right. I guess i will just have to wait until i understand the kitchen and that a bit better so i can port the rom i have been eyeing. Thank you Tobey!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond