PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 08:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond (Telus)
Carrier: Telus

CNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hard reset not the same as the manual

The manual says to use the Volume Down + Enter + Reset at the same time. The correct combination appears to be Volume Down + Power + Enter + Reset. Using the first combination (after screwing up my registry), I managed to get it reset once in about 100 attempts. I was just about to send it back when I finally got it done. And I think it only worked that time is because I had taken the battery out, so I was turning it on while I was holding down the Volume Down and Enter. I tried to reproduce it after that, with no success.

With the new key combination, I was able to quickly get to the reset screen twice in two attempts. Aside from the finger contortions to get the Power button at the same time, it's a no-brainer.

I don't know if the Sprint unit will be the same as the Telus one. But I thought I'd post it in here anyway, so when you guys finally get your phones and someone semi-bricks it like I did on the first weekend, you might be able to recover.

Clint
Old 08-21-2008, 10:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

quarky42 is keeping up the good workquarky42 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to quarky42
Re: Hard reset not the same as the manual

I think there is a software program out there that can trigger a hard reset in WinMo devices... you have to confirm it since it is software to avoid accidental trigger. I've used it once before... can't think of the name. Possibly one of the PHM Power Toys.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

It's called clear storage, a windows service app. Not helpful if you can't turn your phone on though.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:27 AM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50

yea but most people dont use it

Old 08-21-2008, 10:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond (Telus)
Threadstarter

CNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarky42 View Post
I think there is a software program out there that can trigger a hard reset in WinMo devices... you have to confirm it since it is software to avoid accidental trigger. I've used it once before... can't think of the name. Possibly one of the PHM Power Toys.

That's included as one of the control panel items. Nice thing about it is that you can clear just the regular memory (RAM/ROM), or the internal 4GB of storage, or both.

As others have said, though... If you can get into your phone, it doesn't help. I had deleted/recreated the "PressureThreshold" registry key on my machine (in a mis-guided attempt to run one of the Diamond customizing apps), and when I started it up, the screen was un-responsive to any input from me. And since I had sync'd with my company's Exchange server (and they enforce a password policy), I couldn't get past the un-lock screen.

Clint
Old 08-22-2008, 06:31 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2 / Blackberry 9700
Carrier: TELUS Mobility

Juicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation level

Just a quick question since you have hard-reset your device; do things stored on "internal storage" i.e. the 4GB onboard flash memory, survive a hard reset or are they deleted?
Old 08-22-2008, 06:42 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy47 View Post
Just a quick question since you have hard-reset your device; do things stored on "internal storage" i.e. the 4GB onboard flash memory, survive a hard reset or are they deleted?
Are you unable to read?

You get the option to format internal storage or not...

Comcast EXTREME:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/584166480.png
Old 08-22-2008, 10:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2 / Blackberry 9700
Carrier: TELUS Mobility

Juicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation level

Sorry, I thought Clint was speaking about the options on the aforementioned software, but thanks for being a prick about it.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:12 AM
the magic mod
Pocket PC: 6700, 6800, 6900, 6950, TP2, iPad/iPod, Evo, Note3
Carrier: sprint

puff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy47 View Post
would like to know the answer as well... does a hard reset (not clear storage) wipe the 4GB onboard flash memory?
Old 08-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: MOGUL!!
Carrier: PPCGEEKS i just pay SPRINT 'cause i like to text

hibby is a n00b

as said above there is an option

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond