PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 10:01 AM
N00b

landale is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Questions about recent flashing problems

I used to flash my Diamond around every week or two but I found Mighty's 4.1 ROM so stable that I hadn't flashed since late last year. It used to always be that you flash, hard reset and all was fine. Yesterday I decided to try out some of these new ROM's as I was eager to check out WM 6.5 and Rhodium manila. At first I flashed Groove's which was very fast and very stable but it didn't come with manila so I wanted to try something else. I then flashed Bear Bonz's ROM and then the problems started. I did the usual hard reset after flashing but after about an hour of use it totally locked up on me and wouldn't boot and had to go into bootloader manually so I could get something else on my phone. Next I tried Mighty's 4 reborn which seemed fine at first but then it started not letting me install any programs and file manager couldn't see anything except internal storage even after soft reseting. I tried Calks next and after about an hour it started hard reseting every 10 minutes or so and Active Sync stopped working. I am back on Sprint stock right now which seems to be fine for now.

My question is has something changed in how ROM's are packaged that requires extra steps to make them stable? I doubt there is anything wrong with these ROM's and wonder if there is something I should be doing differently. I definitely want to try these ROM's again but just want to make sure I am doing everything correctly.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:32 AM
ICE
Pocket PC: Motorola Everything
Carrier: Big RED

smiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to smiznith
Re: Questions about recent flashing problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by landale View Post
I used to flash my Diamond around every week or two but I found Mighty's 4.1 ROM so stable that I hadn't flashed since late last year. It used to always be that you flash, hard reset and all was fine. Yesterday I decided to try out some of these new ROM's as I was eager to check out WM 6.5 and Rhodium manila. At first I flashed Groove's which was very fast and very stable but it didn't come with manila so I wanted to try something else. I then flashed Bear Bonz's ROM and then the problems started. I did the usual hard reset after flashing but after about an hour of use it totally locked up on me and wouldn't boot and had to go into bootloader manually so I could get something else on my phone. Next I tried Mighty's 4 reborn which seemed fine at first but then it started not letting me install any programs and file manager couldn't see anything except internal storage even after soft reseting. I tried Calks next and after about an hour it started hard reseting every 10 minutes or so and Active Sync stopped working. I am back on Sprint stock right now which seems to be fine for now.

My question is has something changed in how ROM's are packaged that requires extra steps to make them stable? I doubt there is anything wrong with these ROM's and wonder if there is something I should be doing differently. I definitely want to try these ROM's again but just want to make sure I am doing everything correctly.
Before you flash a rom, try flashing stock (or shipped) sprint then hard reset, then flash the rom. Its been noticed that when you frequently flash, some temp files are saved on your internal storage also, you can try formatting that after you back up data. Hope that helps
Old 06-05-2009, 04:02 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

landale is just getting started

Thanks for the reply. Now that I am on Sprint's shipped everything is at least stable again although much slower. I will try some of these ROM's again over the weekend and hope for better results this time as I would really like to give Rhodium and 6.5 a try again.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc evo 4g
Carrier: sprint

toenail is keeping up the good worktoenail is keeping up the good work

im thinking they should change the sticky from "MUST READ - A Change To UPGRADE Forums" to "This Section is for Releases Only"

but to answer the question, im getting resets constantly now but the good news for you is at least you can load sprints stock rom cause i cant even do that..

Old 06-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: sprint diamond w/ obviously stable rom 7-22
Carrier: sprint

etski is keeping up the good worketski is keeping up the good work

Has anyone tried just clearing out internal storage, most specifically everything except my documents and personal files (including cabs you want to save). Definitely need to clear program files, application data, temp and anything in internal storage root. I can understand why these things need to be cleared, don't really understand why you would need to reflash stock unless flashing stock (or the subsequent hard reset) wipes these things out. If you're flashing the rom, you would think everything not on internal storage is cleared. Right?

Don't forget to hit the thanks button when something helped you!

Old 06-08-2009, 12:21 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Flash shipped and stuff too. I had the same problem myself. I find MR5 to be quite nice too.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond