PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   6.5 flashing problems, potential fix and Poll (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=69457)

Riley 05-22-2009 07:16 PM

6.5 flashing problems, potential fix and Poll

I am curious if you guys that are experience major flashing issues with 6.5 could take a poll. By problems I mean major ones like not being able to get past the bootscreen, random hard resets, crashes, etc. Thanks.

here are couple options that may help you. I know a couple people have tried them and it worked.

1. How to resolve problems with flashing 6.5 roms like random resets, not getting past first screen post flash, odd quirks that are not reported:

If you flash a lot, their will be pieces of old roms/cab installations/etc that remain in the internal storage, specifically in the program files folder of internal storage. There are two options that may fix this, no guarantee but it beats not doing anything.

Option 1:
Before I flash another rom, I go into the program files(internal storage) and delete all old folders from previous cab installations except for a couple that dont seem to interfere like livesearch. this has worked for me flashing 6.1 roms and 6.5 roms. then flash shipped, hard reset, flash the custom rom of your choice, clear storage one more time if you like.

Option 2:
Or you can backup your internal storage files to your desktop (pictures in DCIM & other folders, music, video, cabs, etc. use Pim backup for text messages, calls, etc. whatever you want saved. then I do the same thing. Flash the shipped rom, clear storage and format internal storage, flash the custom rom, clear again. I made this suggestion to someone else tonight that was not getting past the first screen flashing a 6.5 rom, and it worked so hopefully it will work for you. good luck.

option 3:
try Mitchell's suggestion from post 17. thanks Mitchell.

Try flashing your shipped rom first, then Mighty's
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=38999

The go one to a 6.5 rom. That way finally worked for me, I took me a lot of tries as well.

mlin 05-22-2009 07:19 PM

Re: 6.5 flashing problems, potential fix and Poll

I had problems in the past, not anymore though.

I think it would be interesting to look at methods vs occurance of problems? Many people say flash stock first etc etc. I have found that upon taking a few extra steps such as this seems to eliminate flashing related issues for the most part, (namely the issue with random hard resets).

I usually implement the following method, its probably a bit of overkill but I flash a lot and have not experienced a single issue since following these steps. BTW, I often format internal storage upon a new flash as well.

1. Enter Bootloader
2. Flash Stock
-let customizations run
3. Enter Bootloader
4. Flash Custom
-let customizations run
5. Hard reset
-let customizations run

Riley 05-22-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlin (Post 930067)
I had problems in the past, not anymore though.

I think it would be interesting to look at methods vs occurance of problems? Many people say flash stock first etc etc. I have found that upon taking a few extra steps such as this seems to eliminate flashing related issues for the most part, (namely the issue with random hard resets).

Yes, very true. I personally have only had one time that I needed to enter bootloader to flash back to shipped. I usually use option 1 and never have problems. Just have noticed recently many threads with users having problems with flashing to 6.5. Curious to see what the trend is with the poll.

stravy 05-22-2009 07:50 PM

i also use option 1 and have not had any problems. i also do this even for new versions of a chef's rom.

codybear 05-22-2009 08:56 PM

I just flash three times in a row, and then do a hard reset if I feel like it.
But that seems to do the trick.
I setup all of the initial customizations(time zone, screen calibration)
all the way through as if I wasn't going to flash again.
I haven't had any of the problems people usually report
in the rom's threads doing it that way.
But after about three to four different roms I flash to stock
and then redo the three flashes.

I also flash directly from bootloader instead of establishing an activesync connection first.

Mattemer 05-23-2009 12:48 AM

I would think this poll's results could be a bit misleading, as there may be more sprint users out there compared to Alltel and Telus. Just taking a guess though. Could be pretty interesting results nonetheless. Never had any real issues on Sprint, but interesting poll either way!

technosinner 05-23-2009 01:02 AM

Guys, I'm at a loss......

I'm new here and to ROM flashing, but I'm no computer noob and I just CAN'T for the life of me get 6.5 to work on my Diamond.

I got the instructions to a T, I made sure I got fairly reputable ROMs that were not Carrier specific other than mine (Telus) and over all, the flashig process works fine. But any and all 6.5 ROMs crashed at one point or another, usually really quickly after the customization - if that far - and then I get the boot screen hang thingy.

I flashed back to stock, worked fine. Flashed Mighty's 6.1, worked fine. But whether it's Mighty's, Juicy or Calkulin's 6.5, monumental crash. What am I doing wrong??? I've followed all the tips I could find here, and it still crashes :(

I'm beyond my capacities I guess......

O'Neil Mitchell 05-23-2009 03:29 AM

This is the method that I used,

1. Enter Bootloader
2. Flash SHIPPED Telus rom
3. Two Hard resets
4. Flash Custom 6.5 rom
5. Two Hard Resets
6. Pray to God it gets past Customization

I have repeated these steps atleast 25 times at min. On the last try it finally worked, and has every since. To be totally honest, I'm F**king confused :scratch:

j7jman 05-23-2009 06:39 AM

may i suggest groove roms.. they work great.. and also some instructions say to flash back to the stock sprint rom.. probably to prevent problems with new ones..

rstoyguy 05-23-2009 08:24 AM

I flash quite often (except this past week), but I haven't had any problems like you guys have. I don't flash stock, hard reset or none of that fancy stuff. The only problem I have is when I leave that \internal storage\DIAMIMG.nbh in place then I try to flash from vista. But that's my own fault. :)

Hi everyone, my name is don and I'm a flash-a-holic, and all I do is flash what I want on my device and never, never had any problems. Other than that I'll pass...