PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Iphone 4s
Carrier: Sprint

violent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
phone as modem vs Data

what happens if you use PAM vs Data if you have unlimited data?

will sprint charge you in other ways on your bill?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:23 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: phone as modem vs Data

There is a 5gb monthly cap whichever you use, although I have read in some posts that with an Unlimited Simply Everything Plan that the 5gb cap does not apply although this is not that clear, and should be looked into further to make sure. If you tether and the setting says PAM, and you don't have a PAM plan, and Sprint sees that, they will most likely notify you to purchase a PAM plan or stop or cancel your service
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:16 PM
VIP Member

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

When you tether, make sure the setting says SPRINT and not Phone as Modem. There are a few cabs floating around here that will enable you to tether with the setting as SPRINT. There are also some custom ROMS that have the registry settings cooked into them already.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

violent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

mine just says Data or Phone as modem
Old 05-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO...nothin but the BEST!

TREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

They cannot tell how the data is being used on your phone, so DATA or PAM doesnt matter. What they see if the your usage levels, and if they spike or you use an abnormal amount of DATA they flag you and follow your usage. The letters they use to send out would say something to the effect that "we believe that you are using your phone in a manner that would violate your TOS" They believe, because they dont know for sure.

Kinda like MLB and steroids, if your test shows high levels of testosterone when before it wasnt high, then you get flagged. (*coughs* Manny)

Old 05-19-2009, 06:07 PM
VIP Member

I thought if it says Phone as Modem, then they can see you are using Phone as Modem which is why there are cabs as work arounds.Then if you tether, they cannot tell if you are using device data or tethering except as you described.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker1 View Post
I thought if it says Phone as Modem, then they can see you are using Phone as Modem which is why there are cabs as work arounds.Then if you tether, they cannot tell if you are using device data or tethering except as you described.
thats what I thought, thats why I made this topic, cause it was never really clear for me
Old 05-19-2009, 07:53 PM
VIP Member

What I posted is how I believe it is. My Diamond used to say SPRINT when I tethered up until a couple of months ago when my Diamond started to to say Phone as Modem which is when I purchased WMWfiRouter.I think Sprint changed something OTA which was causing the change.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch diamond Windows Mobile 6.5

j7jman is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to j7jman

as far as sprint recognizing your using you phone for a modem.... i dont think they will, but when it comes to data limits read this... pretty gay if you ask me

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9949646-1.html

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond