PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 03:51 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond + Axim X51v

teknasia is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Diamond - LOTS of strange files into Windows (manila)

Hello dear PPC fanatics,
I am an happy owner of an HTC Touch Diamond since 4 months. I noticed that between the month of April and now a lot of files appeared into Windows folder which were not existing or not displayed before.

These files seems related with TouchFlo (manila). These files are not saved with a backup tool like Sprite Backup. These files seem to be Read only files and cannot be moved or deleted from the desktop XP. It sounds strange to me that they would be placed in Flash because they were not existing at the beginning... These are more than 1500 additional files displayed into Windows folder which were not at the begining! Now my Windows folder has more than 4000 files!

Here are some file names I found into Windows folder which are part of very big lists of files of the same kind:
0_0409.dat 00da6601-75e2-44b8-bd9d-54fa4fcbf331.dsm
01_480x640.gif
002726c9_manila
CallLogFrameInLUp_Port.png
ha_slideshow_play_dn.bmp
I-camera-resolution-1M.bmp
LQwerty0c0b.txt
MP3TrimmerProgressMarked_P.png
mxipupdate_office_100.provxml
mxipupdate_PACKAGE_Diamond_BTFtp_main.provxml
spd.5x4.English.kdb spd.5x4.German.kdb
YT_GuideBtnUp_mask.png YT_Home_Dn.png

Is this possible that there has been a system silent update during a connection on one of HTC server?
Did I tap on an EXE located into Windows folder that I shouldn't and which has uncompressed all this material by error?
Is this normal, does it harm Windows Mobile functionality as well as TouchFlo functionality (it seems it is still working fine)?
Can I live with that or should I hard reset my Diamond?
Could anyone please help me to determine if my device is working correctly or not?
Did anyone else ever noticed this?

I thank you very much in advance for your help.
Teknasia
Old 05-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

majorassface is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmajorassface is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmajorassface is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmajorassface is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Diamond - LOTS of strange files into Windows (manila)

First of all are you on a custom ROM? Have you installed anything in that time period? Do you have any custom themes installed? I highly doubt there was any kind of OTA update that took place but I have heard talk about it coming soon to certain carriers or roms. As for the files I had a similar experience after playing around with some custom themes. After I uninstalled them they ended up leaving all kinds of weird files in my windows folder, some were 0bytes and most had strange file names and none could be deleted. I ended up doing a ahard reset to fix it. What file browser are you using? Is it possible that you didn't have display all files checked in the past? Anyway good luck with your problem and I hope you find a solution.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

teknasia is a n00b

Thanks for your reply majorassface.

I didn't install any theme. I am just a games player (EA, Gameloft, HeroCraft, Astraware etc.).

I use the normal PPC Explorer or Resco Explorer or even browsing through my Desktop PC Win XP Explorer via ActiveSync. I didn't change the view mode (I am not a newbie I know that kinds of details but thanks anyway for the idea

My ROM is the latest standard HTC one: 2.03.401.3 WWE (02/05/09)

I am wondering why my Windows folder now shows 4282 files where in the past month there wasn't all these files displayed. I just tried to move some of these from the PPC to the PC to see the result. There was no result at all as they are not able to be moved or removed. But anyway all these files where not visible in the past.

That is my question, what are they and do they limit the RAM memory that is available for me?
After a soft reset I have: 62 % free space indicated inthe top menu of the TouchFlo. And in Settings\System I have:
Storage
-------
Total: 82.56 MB
In use: 47.83 MB
Free: 34.73 MB

Program
--------
Total: 107.02 MB
In use: 70.36 MB
Free: 36.66 MB

So I don't know if these small free amounts have to do with all these additional files discovered into Windows or not?...
Old 05-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

Those are all or mostly system files and images you'll need. You chose to show all files, that's why they're shown now. Don't delete stuff from the Windows dir.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Desire

apaquette0069 knows their stuffapaquette0069 knows their stuffapaquette0069 knows their stuffapaquette0069 knows their stuffapaquette0069 knows their stuffapaquette0069 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeychris View Post
Those are all or mostly system files and images you'll need. You chose to show all files, that's why they're shown now. Don't delete stuff from the Windows dir.

LMAO some ppl eh lol!!!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

majorassface is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmajorassface is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmajorassface is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmajorassface is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I'm starting to think this isn't related to those files at all. Especially since you said you are on a standard HTC rom. I would suggest checking out a few things. If you use opera or IE, check where the cache is being stored. I know I had major issues with opera filling up my main memory until I moved the cache to internal storage.
To check that open opera and in the address field type in 'Opera:Config' without the quotes obviously. Once in the config setting, in the quick find type in 'cache directory4' again without quotes. THis will display the location of the main cache which can take up a lot of space. Set it to somewhere on your internal if it isn't already. I forget how to check/change IE as I hardly use it. Also try running a program like ClearTemp and delete the volatile folder and anything else you don't care about like cache, history etc. etc. Hopefully you can figure this out, no one likes to lose valuable space.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

gutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuff

Quote:
Show all files makes all the manila files pop up
Old 05-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

teknasia is a n00b
my reply @ majorassface

Thanks for your very detailed explanations majorassface.

I hide the ROM files into Reso Explorer now.

But what remains strange is that Windows XP Explorer via ActiveSync also show me all these files, when it was not the case one month before...

I will also set the cache for Opera on the Internal Storage. By the way, I do not use Opera very often so all these files are not its fault.

And I wonder why do some games add xxx.2bp files into Windows folder as well?!?

It is the case with SolitaireCity and Chainz, Dynomite, Cubis for example. Resco Explorer can display these very small pictures... Grrrr!
Old 05-13-2009, 07:53 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Re: my reply @ majorassface

Quote:
Thats the firs tthing I was thinking. All of those files listed are needed for differnt things. I saw some dialer files, manila files... etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutrrob View Post
Show all files makes all the manila files pop up
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknasia View Post
I hide the ROM files into Reso Explorer now.

But what remains strange is that Windows XP Explorer via ActiveSync also show me all these files, when it was not the case one month before...
You must have done the same on your main PC. You must have hidden and syste files visible. Change your viewing attributes and you will be fine.

Donations always accepted but never expected!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

teknasia is a n00b

@ scrosler,

Nope, I did the test by hiding or displaying hidden system files but this didn't change the PPC Windows folder displayed content.

I received a confirmation from HTC that these are ROM files.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond