PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 11:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO!!!!
Carrier: Sprint

jdizzle is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
phone storage memory

The other day i tried to load up a program but it couldn't load up because my storage memory was EXTREMELY low. I only had .91mb available!!! I used cleartemp to free up some space and removed some programs so i have only the necessary programs that i use, but still I only have bout 21mb free.

My question is how do i remove some of the programs that came on the stock rom? I know i can flash to custom rom, which i have, but it just not for me. Programs such as Pocket Express, Software Store, Sprint Navigation, and Sprint Music are ones that i never use. Is it possible to remove these programs, and would it free up much space?

Thanks for all who help on here! This site is the shizzle and the number one site for my diamond
Old 05-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Re: phone storage memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
The other day i tried to load up a program but it couldn't load up because my storage memory was EXTREMELY low. I only had .91mb available!!! I used cleartemp to free up some space and removed some programs so i have only the necessary programs that i use, but still I only have bout 21mb free.

My question is how do i remove some of the programs that came on the stock rom? I know i can flash to custom rom, which i have, but it just not for me. Programs such as Pocket Express, Software Store, Sprint Navigation, and Sprint Music are ones that i never use. Is it possible to remove these programs, and would it free up much space?

Thanks for all who help on here! This site is the shizzle and the number one site for my diamond

well, one thing you can do is flash the stock rom in this thread: half way down.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=36062

this rom is not the shipped rom but it exactly the same, minus the radio flash and it has more memory available at boot up than the shipped rom does that came with the device. I gather they took out a couple things that were useless to free up the memory. I dont think it possible to remove sprint nav or music from the rom manually. But you can remove the touch manual (not sure if this the exact title) which will free up 4 mb. You can search this up in the forums; I think you need to go into file explorer>windows and delete it there. One other thing, the stock rom is based off the original shipped rom (19965), no the new shipped rom (20764) but not sure if this matters to you. Good luck.

edit: one more thing, make sure to move your Opera cache from device memory to internal. will save you a ton of memory. if you need instructions, let me know. well I was bored, here they are

here are instructions to move the opera cache to internal storage.

1. open opera, clear out the address bar and type opera:config, hit enter
2. on the next page, scroll down to user prefs, select it
3. scroll down to cache directory4, change \windows\ to \internal storage\ (just change this part only).
4. scroll to the very bottom, hit save and wait for it to save. then exit opera.

when you open opera now, all cache will be saved to your internal storage. there will be a folder called opera9 listed now. additionally you can install cleartemps which you can use to free up cache for various programs including opera, ie, livesearch, googlemaps, etc. good luck.

Last edited by Riley; 05-11-2009 at 12:00 AM.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks Rileyd5!!!

That was some very useful information. I definitely hit the thanks button on your post!

I appreciate your help!

btw: any major differences between the two roms?
Old 05-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
Thanks Rileyd5!!!

That was some very useful information. I definitely hit the thanks button on your post!

I appreciate your help!

btw: any major differences between the two roms?
yes, they put in the new s2answer which is nice. New opera 15954 compared to 15306. new sprint tv as well. tf3d is faster as well. couple other things. Just one problem with the new shipped rom. it has the text freezing problem that has plagued many roms 20xsys and up. it will sometimes freeze for a few seconds when you are trying to type. annoying and surprising to say the least considering sprint put it out But overall its an improvement over the original shipped rom.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible ,HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

jbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Move some of your programs to your micro sd card if you haven't already done so.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:53 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Another killer: the storage for e-mail.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Still a Geek
Pocket PC: GalaxyS Fascinate; Bold 9650 on the shelf incase!
Carrier: VZW/Sprint

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
Another killer: the storage for e-mail.
expanding on that.. not just the attachments be sure you have your email data on your storage card too... I use sktools to move all of these things around.. including a lot of GAC dlls that gave me 10mb back.

I also used the upx compression tool (squeezer) last night to compress nearly all my exe's to give me another 5mb. (thanks Darren for helping me find it again!) With this the programs open faster, not necessarily run faster, but the bigger thing is it gives me back some space! I was at 21mb before compressing about 20exes now have 30.8.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=58897

omg! I just burped... there's like 6 duplicate replies below me! gonna try to delete them...

BrennB
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

thank you for all the help guys! it was all very useful info. this site is the absolute best hands down!
Old 05-12-2009, 06:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XDA Ignito
Carrier: uk O2

Darren8448 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenieMINI View Post
expanding on that.. not just the attachments be sure you have your email data on your storage card too... I use sktools to move all of these things around.. including a lot of GAC dlls that gave me 10mb back.

I also used the upx compression tool (squeezer) last night to compress nearly all my exe's to give me another 5mb. (thanks Darren for helping me find it again!) With this the programs open faster, not necessarily run faster, but the bigger thing is it gives me back some space! I was at 21mb before compressing about 20exes now have 30.8.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=58897

omg! I just burped... there's like 6 duplicate replies below me! gonna try to delete them...
wow the 'squeezer' app is so simple to use and has such obvious results. Perfect little program, thanks for the link

Have clicked thanks
Old 05-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Still a Geek
Pocket PC: GalaxyS Fascinate; Bold 9650 on the shelf incase!
Carrier: VZW/Sprint

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions

yeah, I had almost forgotten about it until this weekend... Mr. Wilson aided me in finding the thread again!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond