PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 09:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung I8000L
Carrier: Bell

Willis111 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wifi Drivers

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone out there has seen at any point in time airscanner sniffer or any similar packet capping software working on a diamond and if so what rom were you using at the time? Any chef's know of any drivers that work on the diamond and also w/this type software?
Old 05-10-2009, 11:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO F&F 500

kidFromBigD is keeping up the good workkidFromBigD is keeping up the good workkidFromBigD is keeping up the good work
Re: Wifi Drivers

Not exactly sure what you're asking for...

Do you mean you're looking for software that will scan the WiFi frequencies and log findings? Basically, a wardriving app?
Old 05-11-2009, 01:44 AM
AWOL
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2 and Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

indagroove is keeping up the good workindagroove is keeping up the good work

No, he wants to hijack someone's wireless network. I don't think we talk about this kind of stuff at PPCGeeks, and it wouldn't be in the Diamond upgrades forum if at all.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indagroove View Post
No, he wants to hijack someone's wireless network. I don't think we talk about this kind of stuff at PPCGeeks, and it wouldn't be in the Diamond upgrades forum if at all.
... You're pretty anal about someone asking for DRIVERS. Anyways, I was asking if anyone knew of some wifi for the touch diamond that would run specific software that would allow me to capture wifi packets. Although this could be part of a wep crack it could also be a few other things. As for this info about which wireless drivers might work with which program on our machines (I think the core issue for me is more what drivers are available and which work best in terms of range and complete software compatability, especially since I remember the stock telus wifi driver was terrible and I didn't even notice until I grabbed up Juicy rom w/an upgraded lan driver, this info might even make people porting android to our phones start looking at an ndiswrapper port) I couldn't think of a better place to post a question asking which versions of drivers for x slot on x device are available than a place where programmers (our cooks) have used them in verious software(roms) that they've been releasing to the community.

Anyways, if anyone has any idea what drivers work best with what software, be it Juicy or Cal or even one of the thousands of rom downloaders and users I would appreciate any info IE what rom or drivers you were using at the time.

No need to jump down my throat for asking a simple question about the best software for my phone... I'm not looking for wardriving software or network scanning software etc, I'm looking for the best (wifi) driver software that the chef's/users have seen
Old 05-11-2009, 01:00 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Sprint Hero

toastcfh is becoming a great contributor

from experiance with my laptop. ur gonna have to find an app to do this first. because the app will most likely need a certain driver. most the apps i found for my pc already had the drivers included. second capturing iv's is a long drawn out deal, unless the people are constantly downloading massive files over the roughter. when i say drawn out, i mean months of constant 24/7 scanning wont get u enough iv's. so there isnt much hope of doing this with a device that will die or over heat in 4 hours or less of constant wifi scaning. third u would be better off with a linux based device. the android is a step in that direction. but the versions for the diamond got a long way to go. im not sayin its impossible to do. but im am sayin it would be a challenge to say the least to captured the 250,000+ ivs needed. ur better of using ur desktop or lappy with linux for this kind of thing. trust me.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

READ MORE THAN THE EDIT. THE EDIT IS RAMBLING, TRYING TO CLUE IN SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T SEEM TO KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastcfh View Post
from experiance with my laptop. ur gonna have to find an app to do this first. because the app will most likely need a certain driver. most the apps i found for my pc already had the drivers included. second capturing iv's is a long drawn out deal, unless the people are constantly downloading massive files over the roughter. when i say drawn out, i mean months of constant 24/7 scanning wont get u enough iv's. so there isnt much hope of doing this with a device that will die or over heat in 4 hours or less of constant wifi scaning. third u would be better off with a linux based device. the android is a step in that direction. but the versions for the diamond got a long way to go. im not sayin its impossible to do. but im am sayin it would be a challenge to say the least to captured the 250,000+ ivs needed. ur better of using ur desktop or lappy with linux for this kind of thing. trust me.
Actually, depending on what OS you're using on your laptop (linux for example) you may have noticed that if you want to monitor a wep channel you might need to use madwifi-ng drivers and they might need to be patched. Or if you're using airmon-ng to monitor a wireless signal you could also try using the kernel drivers etc... Most of the software I see supports certain drivers but not others, drivers are the key because they interact between the hardware and the software, no app can put your card into promiscuous mode for example if your drivers don't support it. Again, everyone responding to my thread is getting totally off topic .. I'm not looking for cracking/hacking software etc, I'm looking for DRIVERS that will let me use more of my device by supporting more options that the card already has on it but the software can't access because the drivers are terribad from htc.

EDIT: if I wanted to go wardriving I would just use my laptop, it's already got gentoo, aircrack suite and patched driver software on it .... Also to share a little info from a technical standpoint, to crack say wpa2-psk I think all you need to do is cap a full 4-way handshake which would be as easy to do as watching a client connect, grab the packets or disassociate a client from the AP and watch them reconnect and run a brute force/dict attack on the handshake on your home computer... Another side note is that you can actually crack wep in 40-100k IVS, you can cause most access points to send IVS using software mixed with the correct drivers for your card. It took me 10 minutes to show my parents how hard it was to crack their 128 bit wep and what I could do from there with my laptop(it's a ****ty old ibm a22m thinkpad from the 90's too), imagine showing the network admin at work doing it on my cell phone(even capping the packets on a cell phone and running back to your desktop should be enough to make most people nervous), maybe then he'd understand where all our bandwidth is going.

EDIT2: Kind of wondering when "because it can so I want it to" became a bad reason to do things like upgrade drivers on your mobile ppc/phone. I wonder how our framerate would be if everyone thought that was a bad reason... http://www.htcclassaction.org/ or one of the thousands of 3d driver threads on the xda forums anyone?

EDIT 3: I've heard/read a few places that the card in our diamonds runs a chipset that is supported by the acx100 drivers available from sourceforge. The windows 98-vista version of these drivers would be the software available for the dlink dwl-650+ rev a pcmcia/pci cards but not being a winmo developer or anything I have no idea what I can do with this knowledge to try it out, again any well thought out ideas would be welcome (if we could use the windows driver for the tiacx100(texus instrument acx100) then it would seem reasonable to ask one of the devs on the android project to include the acx100 driver in one of their builds ...).

Last edited by Willis111; 05-11-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO F&F 500

kidFromBigD is keeping up the good workkidFromBigD is keeping up the good workkidFromBigD is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis111 View Post
... You're pretty anal about someone asking for DRIVERS.
...<snip>...
I'm looking for the best (wifi) driver software that the chef's/users have seen
Alright, I think I'm understanding a bit better.

Reading the last few posts re: cracking WEP with IV's and WPA/WPA2 with bruteforce and dictionaries made me wonder if http://forums.remote-exploit.org had taken over.

Best way to help is to direct you to user wyze. I took a brutal smack-down beating from him recently in this thread by saying porting backtrack to a smartphone was a dead dream. Apparently he has tried and seen some success. Perhaps this individual can answer your questions?
Old 05-11-2009, 02:38 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis111 View Post
... You're pretty anal about someone asking for DRIVERS.
No need to jump down my throat for asking a simple question about the best software for my phone... I'm not looking for wardriving software or network scanning software etc, I'm looking for the best (wifi) driver software that the chef's/users have seen
He said you posted in the wrong forum... which you did.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=65921

You young'erns aren't gonna make any friends around here smack talking to a senior, influential member of the community like Indagroove.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
He said you posted in the wrong forum... which you did.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=65921

You young'erns aren't gonna make any friends around here smack talking to a senior, influential member of the community like Indagroove.
With that in mind I'm gonna move this to the general Diamond Forum.

late,
Coz
Old 05-11-2009, 02:57 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Sprint Hero

toastcfh is becoming a great contributor

well buddy my intent wasnt to explain to u how to crack someones key. i was just saying the tides are against u. sure there are other reasoms u might want put ur phone in monitor mode. but cracking keys is the most common one. so calm down partener, i just dont think a diamond is the best debice for the strain of capping. u may right and its the best idea ever. i hope ur right. better yet cuz u know so much i hope u write the driver

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond