PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 09:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

stlbadger is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wifi question

I live in an area with no service, but I so have wifi. When i open opera (wifi connected), it still tries to use the service to connect....obviously this wont work... can anyone help me on this? I just got the phone today and already have successfully flashed to mighty rom..

Thanks so much
Old 05-10-2009, 12:40 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Wifi question

Just toclarify, you live in an area where you don't get any data connection but you get a cellular connection?If this is true, I don't see how you can access your carrier's data signal if it is not strong enough to reach your area.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:42 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

But the Internet will suck. Frankly I have no clue.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

No no. I have no service, but i have wifi (hi speed internet) at my house....it connects to my router but still says the internet is not working....i even took off the security on my router and set the wifi options to open and disabled
Old 05-10-2009, 11:44 AM
VIP Member

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Go to Settings; Enable WiFi But if you are not getting any data service from your Diamond carrier, I am not sure if the Diamond will capture your home subscriber's hotspot signal.I would think that you would be able to though as long as WiFi is enabled on your Diamond. Others may be able to chime in on this issue.
Edit: If your home hotspot has security enabled, you will have to disable it or enter the passcode into your Diamond but you probably already know that.

Last edited by Biker1; 05-10-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:35 PM
p2k
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: TELUS

p2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Not a great solution, but try Turning OFF the data connection slider and see if that makes a difference?

What I suspect its happening, is:
1) You have no DATA (Cellular) at your home...
2) You connection to your WIFI is not properly setup.
3) Phone resorts back to the data connection.

I would work on your wifi connection settings...
Old 05-10-2009, 01:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Ok guys, so I went down to my grandmas house (which also has wifi), and it worked.....im pretty sure she is using wpa2-psk with tkip+aes.... my routers settings arent that intuitive, however.......heres a pic of what im working with.......and hopefully you guys can tell me what to set it at on the diamond.... i put security back on and am still tinkering.....

Old 05-10-2009, 01:28 PM
VIP Member

Maybe get the same type router as your Grandma's and you will be set, if it is not cost prohibitive or continue to tinker with your router and Diamond and all of a sudden you will see you are connected Hard to troubleshoot without being there as there could be multiple variables. The fact that your Diamond was working at another location should help you to troubleshoot backwards, so to speak.Also at the other connection, was there a data connection over the air from your cellular carrier in addition to your Grandma 's WiFi or strictly WiFi only?
Old 05-10-2009, 01:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I don't really remember....but i don't think so. It is time to get a new router (this one is outdated).....but yeah i just might trade with her haha...

Thanks guys
Old 05-10-2009, 08:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung I8000L
Carrier: Bell

Willis111 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbadger View Post
I don't really remember....but i don't think so. It is time to get a new router (this one is outdated).....but yeah i just might trade with her haha...

Thanks guys

If anything else can connect to the network ie laptop it's probably not the router. I remember some settings about how my wireless card connects to a work network or the internet on my diamond though, and I know if I leave it set to work network rather than internet it tries to use my cellular line rather than the wifi card just like you said. I connect to wep networks all the time with my diamond too, easiest way I've found is to cut/paste and email myself the key and cut/paste it right into my wireless settings. Also selecting the right type of encryption when connecting helps...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond