PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   How to use phone as modem? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=68028)

Long Con 05-09-2009 02:38 PM

How to use phone as modem?

Hi, my Bell eWire modem just died, and it's going to take 3 - 5 business days for them to send out a new one... a LIFETIME!

I want to use my phone as a modem, but I don't know the steps to take. I have the Mighty ROM flashed, and when I connect the USB, there is the option to 'Use Phone As Modem', but it just says 'Check USB cable connection' under 'Status' on the Internet Sharing screen, and my laptop still has no Internet.

What do I need to do to make it work? Sorry if this has been answered in another thread, but I'm just on my phone and I could only find tethering fix stuff, not the process of hooking it up.

Please help!

acunn1 05-09-2009 06:04 PM

Re: How to use phone as modem?

look for the internet sharing program. Also you would need active sync installed on your laptop.

Biker1 05-09-2009 06:21 PM

There is an Internet Sharing Cab that you can download that should solve your issue. You can find it in the Diamond section. Sorry about not posting a link but I am just sitting down for dinner. It can be found in a couple of different threads.
Plug the usb cable from the port of your Diamond to the port of your laptop and press internet sharing in your program menu or start menu of your Diamond. It should work but you may want to use one of the cabs below so the setting says Sprint.

Biker1 05-09-2009 06:30 PM

<a href=&quot;http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment...4&d=1240631764 target=&quot;_blank&quot;>http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment...4&d=1240631764
Read this first http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=37947

gerbilx 05-09-2009 07:43 PM

wmwifirouter
now that's slick

violent31601 05-09-2009 08:18 PM

is there any speed differences between going wifi/bluetooth or usb (using wmwifirouter)?

alex.rios 05-09-2009 08:19 PM

yep same here i would definitely go with the wm wifirouter, and simply google it and believe me i use it on my mac all the time, as a matter a fact im running it right now!! hehe, but either way try out the cabs or the wifi router, and whichever works great for u, dont forget to click the thanks.

alex.rios 05-09-2009 08:21 PM

is there any speed differences between going wifi/bluetooth or usb (using wmwifirouter)?

i always preferred using my wifi router over the usb, but i never really coulndt compare the two side by side, but thats just my personal input.

Biker1 05-09-2009 08:31 PM

I also use WMWifiRouter and it is well worth the price of admission but the op seemed to suggest that he only needed a 5 day Temporary solution until his router comes back from repair which is why I figured he would want a free short term solution but I also think that www.WMWifiRouter.com may interest him also :)

Biker1 05-09-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex.rios (Post 905940)

i always preferred using my wifi router over the usb, but i never really coulndt compare the two side by side, but thats just my personal input.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the usb connection was slightly faster.

gerbilx 05-09-2009 11:17 PM

doesn't going by usb give the possiblity of tethering though? which may incur an extra charge. i just go wireless to avoid any chance of that

Biker1 05-09-2009 11:41 PM

As long as the connection says SPRINT and not Phone as Modem, you should be fine. I use a usb connection with WMWifiRouter and the connection says SPRINT which is fine.
Whenever you use your device to connect your laptop to the web, you are tethering. What matters is what the connection says while you are connected.

ivan1.ruiz 05-16-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex.rios (Post 905940)

Well Alex i compared both just after reading your post and wmwifirouter was a bit faster.

So i guess that one is answered.. WMWIFIROUTER RULES!!!!

snowplow54 05-17-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker1 (Post 905960)
I also use WMWifiRouter and it is well worth the price of admission but the op seemed to suggest that he only needed a 5 day Temporary solution until his router comes back from repair which is why I figured he would want a free short term solution but I also think that www.WMWifiRouter.com may interest him also :)

doesn't WMwifi router have a free 12 day trial? I remember it had a ridiculously long trial that i almost forgot I had to pay for it.

Biker1 05-17-2009 02:25 PM

Yes, there is a 21 day trial period.

violent31601 05-18-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowplow54 (Post 920190)
doesn't WMwifi router have a free 12 day trial? I remember it had a ridiculously long trial that i almost forgot I had to pay for it.

to me this program is worth $50 easily, however they only charge about $30 which is nice

Hypnotic2010 05-18-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Long Con (Post 905436)
Hi, my Bell eWire modem just died, and it's going to take 3 - 5 business days for them to send out a new one... a LIFETIME!

I want to use my phone as a modem, but I don't know the steps to take. I have the Mighty ROM flashed, and when I connect the USB, there is the option to 'Use Phone As Modem', but it just says 'Check USB cable connection' under 'Status' on the Internet Sharing screen, and my laptop still has no Internet.

What do I need to do to make it work? Sorry if this has been answered in another thread, but I'm just on my phone and I could only find tethering fix stuff, not the process of hooking it up.

Please help!

It should work fine using the phone as a modem popup with Mighty Rom. Mightys rom already has whatever internet sharing hacks cooked in. Just make sure you choose Sprint, and not phone as a modem to connect. As for your problem with connect usb cable, make sure you have a good data cable, and Activesync installed to give you your drivers. Otherwise it should work just fine. Personally I dont know why everybody insists on using Wifi router. I have my phone tethered all day streaming Sirius and works perfectly.

paulybaby 05-25-2009 11:51 AM

You beauty Biker1!I'm now connected with my HTC Touch Pro. That tethering file worked a treat.Cheers:)

Biker1 05-25-2009 12:29 PM

That's good to hear :)

alsosun 03-02-2010 07:28 PM

I have been trying wifi router with Bell, but the connection drops and the phone gets an error saying it could not connect to #777. Anyone on bell tethering with no problems?

armstrong 03-02-2010 08:29 PM

We need to drive this conversation underground, I think. I have tethered fine for a year, but as of today, it seems sprint is able to block me from that reg edit. been fine for a year til now. My reg says Phone as modem, but when I changed it back to sprint, it won't stay. I've found a workaround, but sprint is hot on our heels :(

btw, anyone else noticing this as of today? (without revealing too much)

wmdunn 03-02-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armstrong (Post 1602569)
We need to drive this conversation underground, I think. I have tethered fine for a year, but as of today, it seems sprint is able to block me from that reg edit. been fine for a year til now. My reg says Phone as modem, but when I changed it back to sprint, it won't stay. I've found a workaround, but sprint is hot on our heels :(

C'mon Bud ... let's not get silly. First of all, Sprint already knows that people are tethering without paying extra for it. What they won't be able to do, is distinguish between the internet usage of your device vs tethering to your laptop via usb, wi-fi, or blue tooth ... if you use the following registry edits. Nothing has changed, but always remember two things. First of all, large amounts of data transfer might draw attention. Secondly, whenever you make changes to the registry, you need to wait a couple of minutes before doing a soft reset ... in order for the edits to stick. Here are the entries ...

HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing (delete “extension”)

HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings
MaxCMConnectRetries = 0
ForceCellConnection = Sprint

HKLM\Software\OEM\WModem
CheckProfile = 0
Multi-NAI = 0
WModemDUN = 0

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\InternetSharing
LastCellConnection = Sprint

horndoctor 03-03-2010 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armstrong (Post 1602569)

I suggest you run Shaggylive's CMKiller before you do the reg edits.
The CMGuardian file can reset some reg values on the newer roms.:mrgreen:
Look here:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...203597#1203597

sprintgirl 03-03-2010 02:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this is what i use

armstrong 03-12-2010 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmdunn (Post 1602729)
C'mon Bud ... let's not get silly. First of all, Sprint already knows that people are tethering without paying extra for it. What they won't be able to do, is distinguish between the internet usage of your device vs tethering to your laptop via usb, wi-fi, or blue tooth ... if you use the following registry edits. Nothing has changed, but always remember two things. First of all, large amounts of data transfer might draw attention. Secondly, whenever you make changes to the registry, you need to wait a couple of minutes before doing a soft reset ... in order for the edits to stick. Here are the entries ...

MaxCMConnectRetries = 0

HKLM\Software\OEM\WModem
CheckProfile = 0
Multi-NAI = 0
WModemDUN = 0

@wmdunn, Yeah, I know sprint knows people are doing it, it just seems they're getting more vigilant about stopping it. On my last Diamond, the regedit didn't automatically revert back to sprints chosen settings when closing it (the editor, that is). btw, I've never had to wait a 'few minutes for my edits to stick'. Thanks, though, for the extra reg entries to check/change. never had to use em before, but will check em out. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 1603157)
I suggest you run Shaggylive's CMKiller before you do the reg edits.
The CMGuardian file can reset some reg values on the newer roms.:mrgreen:
Look here:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...203597#1203597

@horndoctor, thanks for the tip about guardian. Wanna check it out, just waiting for someone to reply to a question I have about it.

TREmp77 03-12-2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmdunn (Post 1602729)

MaxCMConnectRetries = 0

HKLM\Software\OEM\WModem
CheckProfile = 0
Multi-NAI = 0
WModemDUN = 0

I dont have

CheckProfile = 0

Multi-NAI = 0

And Last cell connection says DATA which is the name of my network, so should I change it to Sprint or leave it alone? I can tether just fine, dont want to get caught.

wmdunn 03-12-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TREmp77 (Post 1625025)
I dont have

CheckProfile = 0

Multi-NAI = 0

And Last cell connection says DATA which is the name of my network, so should I change it to Sprint or leave it alone? I can tether just fine, dont want to get caught.

Sounds like you're using a generic rom rather than Sprint specific. Just leave it alone ... you should be ok.

Moguldqr 03-16-2010 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violent31601 (Post 905932)

No, I use both and is the same speed..