PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: SprintTouchDiamond

fred.right is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Helo me get started on the right foot...

I have a bone-stock Sprint Touch Diamond. I'm excited about trying out some of these custom ROMs, but wanted some advice first.

I've decided to start out with Mighty4R3Born. What do I need to do, and in what order, to get my phone working best?

My understanding of things:
1) Unlock
2) Install custom ROM
3) Install upgraded radio (for Sprint in Chicago, sprint 1.11 is a good choice? Lots of people seem to use Telus).
4) Other programs / cabs / regedits? I guess I'll need to get a 160-character SMS .cab from somewhere, for one, right? Others people recommend?

Some specific questions:
1) Do people like touchpal and/or spbmobileshell installed on top of Mighty? Touchpal in particular looks pretty useful - but how does it compare to the keyboards in the ROM?

2) Two important functionalities for me are: GPS with Google maps, and data-tethering to my laptops with bluetooth (I have a data plan, but not the official phone-as-modem addon - so hopefully I can do this in a way that's not-too obvious to sprint). How do I do these? Are the regedits for these built into most ROMs?

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: Helo me get started on the right foot...

welcome to the site... you'll get a million answers to your questions because they're all pretty much season-to-taste if you know what I mean...

Best... Member... Ever...
Old 05-08-2009, 01:38 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

1) I think both pieces of software work. Touchpal for sure works and it seems to be a top SIP amoung us Diamond users along with FingerKeyboard 2.1. I have both and am trying both out and they have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally I like TP a little better because I can text with one hand instead of two but FK2 ater getting used to it for a bit isn't that bad but takes two hands IMO.
2) GPS works fine. Just follow the sticky. As far as tethering it should work with Bluetooth. Just be careful about the 5GB limit or using it too much (don't use it for your primary Internet connection). IDK about bluetooth but I use USB all the time.

That said MightyROM is a good Windows Mobile 6.1 ROM. The only caveat is there is a huge bug where if you use a MP3 ringtone it won't ring after an unknown period of time. For a workaround convert your ringtones to .wav files and put them in \Internal Storage. This seems to be a bug that plagues several ROMs with no known reason why.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: SprintTouchDiamond
Threadstarter

fred.right is a n00b

Cool - thanks for the info!

I understand correctly that bluetooth tethering works right out of the box - no regedit or anything? Where can I find the right settings for my laptop? On my previous (sprint, but non-WinMo) phone, I had to disable something called NAI through a secret menu to avoid tether-detection - nothing like that here?

Also - will the ringtone bug affect me if I stick to the stock ringtones? I have no particular interest in custom ringtones.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Still a Geek
Pocket PC: GalaxyS Fascinate; Bold 9650 on the shelf incase!
Carrier: VZW/Sprint

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I made this cab to enable bluetooth tethering and choosing sprint as the connection rather than phone as modem. The way I edited the registry allows for two drop down choices on the ICS page... BT or USB and PAM or SPRINT.
If you want to try it. There are a few other cabs too but they don't make the exact same reg edits. Check out the tethering threads then make your choice or edit registry to your personal choices.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment...8&d=1241482712

What my cab does is delete all keys except MaxCMConnectRetries

in the HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\... delete all but "settings" folder in settings folder delete all but MaxCMConnectionRetries (which is set to 0 )

BrennB
Old 05-09-2009, 01:35 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

The ringtones should be fine. We are working at narrowing it down now.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond