PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza
HELP! Solve an Internet/WIFI problem, win $$

Okay, to anyone who can solve this problem I will send them $10 via paypal.

So i've tried almost every Diamond ROM that interested me and the one that meets my requirements the most is MightyROM 4.8. However, that even has quirks that are becoming annoyingly unacceptable. Keep in mind that I have never had this problem before on my Touch Pro or any other Windows Mobile device.

Here's the dilemma, and I'm not sure if this is ROM related or is just how the Diamond is.

The way my wireless router is setup, is that it does not use DHCP, meaning to connect to my Wifi, I have to manually enter an IP address into whatever device i'm connecting with, OK so I enter my router information into Start>settings>connections>wifi>network adapters>IEEE 802.11b/g Compatible Wi-FI Adapter> 192.168.1.101, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.35, OK, Connect to my Wifi. All goes well. BUT now EVDO won't work! What? Yup, when I turn wifi off and am trying to connect via evdo, it gives an error about not being connected to the internet, even though the data arrows are lit up and it seems to have connected.

Here's the strange part, the minute I remove the settings for my router from IEEE 802.11b/g Compatible Wi-Fi Adapter, my EVDO starts to work. But when I want to use Wifi again, I have to enter the settings all over again. Annoying? Yes very. It's as though EVDO is using the IEEE settings when it shouldn't.

So far I have not tried any other ROM other than MightyROM 4.8, so i'm assuming this is specific to this ROM as none of my other phones have ever had this problem before. What gives? Someone shed some light on this please.

EDIT: After more testing, i've discovered that when ip settings are blank, and evdo is working, I can enter my ip settings WHILE the evdo connection is active and have it still work until I terminate the connection or soft reset my phone, then it goes back to not working until I remove my ip settings for Wifi...

Infact, SOMEONE test out this scenario, enter some random ip address into IEEE 802.11b/g Compatible Wi-Fi Adapter while EVDO is off, and see if it'll work afterward.

Last edited by freeza; 04-24-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

labens is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: HELP! Solve an Internet/WIFI problem, win $$

I haven't found a solution yet, but what I can tell you is that the EVDO connection is not dead. It is just not performing DNS name look-ups. You can verify this by specifying the IP address of a website, say 209.85.171.100 for google.com, and it will load. If you remove just the static DNS server entries for the wifi config, the problem will go away.

By the way, I am using rstg_Diam_v2.7.35 ROM, so it is not limited to Mighty.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond -> vzw
Carrier: Verizon

mclaser is becoming a great contributor

BTW, this problem is not EV specific as it happens in 1x as well. looking forward to a resolution...
Old 04-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Threadstarter

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

I found a temporary resolution. it works beautifully

It's called WifiProfiles. Found it on XDA in a similar thread...

What it does is.....You create profiles for your Wifi spots, create shortcuts to them, and you're good to go.

Example: I created a wifi profile for my home which contains my dns/IP settings and the program allows me to create a shortcut to the profile and even has the ability to auto turn on wifi once i launch the shortcut. I've also created a profile for EVDO which removes the settings and turns off wifi.

Pretty neat huh?
Attached Files
File Type: cab WifiProfilesInstall.CAB (1.72 MB, 9 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by freeza; 04-26-2009 at 02:23 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by labens View Post
I haven't found a solution yet, but what I can tell you is that the EVDO connection is not dead. It is just not performing DNS name look-ups. You can verify this by specifying the IP address of a website, say 209.85.171.100 for google.com, and it will load. If you remove just the static DNS server entries for the wifi config, the problem will go away.

By the way, I am using rstg_Diam_v2.7.35 ROM, so it is not limited to Mighty.
Cool, I figured it was something like that, because "update profile" and "update prl" works fine. I didn't try the IP address lookup but it's good to know. That's a pretty serious bug in Windows Mobile. I wonder if Microsoft is even aware of it, and why have they not fixed it? Maybe it's fixed in WM 6.5...
Old 04-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

labens is just getting started

I doubt this is a bug in WM, as I never encountered these problems while using the stock ROM. I never tested it specifically on stock, but I never had anything not work. Then, when I moved to a cooked ROM, I started having issues with WMWifiRouter not working and would notice that my e-mail would then stop syncing and I couldn't get to web pages. I didn't realize what networking component was not working until I saw your post and tested further.

I do have a feeling that it may be a common problem though. I installed the latest commercial version of WMWifiRouter and found that it removes all ad-hoc wifi setting when it shuts down. For that reason, I won't use the program.

I'll give the wifi profiles a shot, it seems an easy work around.

My guess right now for a real solution is that when wifi is turned off, some type of rebind needs to occur. I'll have to search to see if there is any info on the internals of enabling / disabling wifi. But for the hour each week that I need to tether and then get annoyed by this, I don't give it much attention.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond

mike171562 is just getting started

Why dont you just use MAC filtering for your wireless and enable DHCP, or setup static DHCP tables.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond -> vzw
Carrier: Verizon

mclaser is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeza View Post
I found a temporary resolution. it works beautifully

It's called WifiProfiles. Found it on XDA in a similar thread...

What it does is.....You create profiles for your Wifi spots, create shortcuts to them, and you're good to go.

Example: I created a wifi profile for my home which contains my dns/IP settings and the program allows me to create a shortcut to the profile and even has the ability to auto turn on wifi once i launch the shortcut. I've also created a profile for EVDO which removes the settings and turns off wifi.

Pretty neat huh?
Hey! That's a pretty-reasonable-almost-acceptable solution! Now at least when I want to get on LAN with static IP I can just touch the shortcut I created, then touch another one to get back to "normal" operation. BTW, it's nice that you can program the WIFI on/off in the profile structure so when you go back to "normal" you can have automatically turn off your WIFI as well to save battery. Does this mean you get to pay yourself $10??
Old 05-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaser View Post
Hey! That's a pretty-reasonable-almost-acceptable solution! Now at least when I want to get on LAN with static IP I can just touch the shortcut I created, then touch another one to get back to "normal" operation. BTW, it's nice that you can program the WIFI on/off in the profile structure so when you go back to "normal" you can have automatically turn off your WIFI as well to save battery. Does this mean you get to pay yourself $10??

LOL, glad I could help... I will just buy myself a 6 pack

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond