PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 02:26 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Bell Mobility

berniebennybernard is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cracked Screen; Which Path?

Unfortunately today at work, a customer was trying to get by me and I lost my footing. My Diamond was in my pocket at the time and it banged onto the side of a ledge causing a crack in the screen.

Luckily for me, it still works, no dead pixels, touch is just as responsive, but there is just a crack on the screen.

Now there are 2 ways to solve this problem, both of which I am unsure as to if I should take:

1) Since my phone is only 2 weeks, I can still opt for the insurance plan of an added $7 per month. I do not know if it can be canceled, but as long as it is within 30 days, I can choose add it on. I could add it on, wait a few days and then go in to Bell and have it replaced entirely. But then, is that extra $7 per month worth it to a plan that is already quite expensive on my student budget? But since I'm running a custom SPL/cooked ROM, does it void my warranty regardless? I read that I could change back, so really there is no problem, correct?

2) I could just get replacement parts online and fix it myself.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Bernie
Old 03-26-2009, 09:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

vincemash is keeping up the good workvincemash is keeping up the good work
Re: Cracked Screen; Which Path?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniebennybernard View Post
Unfortunately today at work, a customer was trying to get by me and I lost my footing. My Diamond was in my pocket at the time and it banged onto the side of a ledge causing a crack in the screen.

Luckily for me, it still works, no dead pixels, touch is just as responsive, but there is just a crack on the screen.

Now there are 2 ways to solve this problem, both of which I am unsure as to if I should take:

1) Since my phone is only 2 weeks, I can still opt for the insurance plan of an added $7 per month. I do not know if it can be canceled, but as long as it is within 30 days, I can choose add it on. I could add it on, wait a few days and then go in to Bell and have it replaced entirely. But then, is that extra $7 per month worth it to a plan that is already quite expensive on my student budget? But since I'm running a custom SPL/cooked ROM, does it void my warranty regardless? I read that I could change back, so really there is no problem, correct?

2) I could just get replacement parts online and fix it myself.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Bernie
If they will let you get the insurance, I would add it now
Old 03-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

majorassface is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmajorassface is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmajorassface is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmajorassface is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Flash back to shipped ROM, relock it and take it back. You will regret it if you don't! Insurance it good!!!
Old 03-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Treo 800W
Carrier: Verizon

evil_duck is a n00b

I agree with majorassface; since you dropped the device, this proves that insurance (for you) may be a good idea. Call it "peace of mind".

I am not familiar with the Diamond warranty, is a screen covered w/i the first 30 days?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:42 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_duck View Post
I agree with majorassface; since you dropped the device, this proves that insurance (for you) may be a good idea. Call it "peace of mind".

I am not familiar with the Diamond warranty, is a screen covered w/i the first 30 days?
Scratches are "physical damage" and won't be covered by warranty. So is dropping it. Get insurance for this $500 phone or get a cheap flip phone or quit complaining about the damage you cause.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:16 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Htc Diamond
Carrier: T-mobile (I unlocked my diamond)

borderal is just getting started

Well I think you should get the insurance. Windows mobile/pocket pc phones screens crack fairly easily, so it will most likely crack again. (i cracked mine 3 times in a month). It is probably best to get the insurance.

Remeber to click THANKS if this helped
Attached Images
File Type: gif post_thanks.gif (1.7 KB, 49 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by borderal; 03-26-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

unclutchable is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to unclutchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
Scratches are "physical damage" and won't be covered by warranty. So is dropping it. Get insurance for this $500 phone or get a cheap flip phone or quit complaining about the damage you cause.
Nice avatar, Rabid Dog.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:18 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclutchable View Post
Nice avatar, Rabid Dog.
OT: They need a lol emot like at EOCF. lol I guess there is but that's evil, not lol.

So yeah, get insurnace.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:22 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HP H3850-->HP hx2190-->HTC Touch Diamond-->HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus Mobility

banjoeball knows their stuffbanjoeball knows their stuffbanjoeball knows their stuffbanjoeball knows their stuffbanjoeball knows their stuffbanjoeball knows their stuffbanjoeball knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to banjoeball

Indeed. get yourself that insurance.
It may be another 7 bucks every month, but who's to say that you don't crack the screen again? or something worse later on down the road, and then not have the insurance to save you???
To put it into perspective, sure it's another $7. But you are paying that much at least 5 times over to actually use the phone. You don't want to risk not having that kind of back-up.
I kind of wish I had some insurance myself, even though I haven't killed my Diamond yet... (knock on wood)

You never know whats going to happen.

EDIT: by the way, as long as you flash back to stock and relock, it is likely that they will never know. ever. (most of) the people selling you these devices don't know half of the capability of them.. and definitely don't know about this wonderful community!!!

Last edited by banjoeball; 03-27-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Desire 2.2
Carrier: Telus

CyberBlaster is becoming a great contributor

Don't forget if you open up the phone to fix it yourself, you could void the basic warranty you have on the phone. Then you have nothing

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond