PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 10:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Opera Mini "Mini tutorial"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyd5 View Post
Great Wmdunn!! I have been trying to get this cab but couldn't find it. Thanks so much!! Will use this one instead and post it on the first page. Yeah, funny thing is the virus has crippled my machine using IE, but I am using Opera desktop right now and it works with no issues. I also can receive mail but can't send it. Strange but I am having it formatted soon to clean it out once and for all.

Also Mike, that is MightyMike gave me another installation tip which will work as well if a custom rom already has jbed built in. I was having some issue installing mini on his rom but he mentioned to do it this way. I assume this works as well if you have opera mobile installed already but most roms do. Great Stuff and thanks Mike for the tip!

Proper process would be to OPEN Java, goto MENU > Install > Browser.

Opera Mobile will load up. Goto mini.opera.com from opera and load it up.

Works like a charm
Riley ... I had to remember how I did the shortcut before, and here's how ...

On your desktop PC, right click and open a new text document. Open the document and place the following into it ...

28#"\windows\jbed.exe" -run s0_

Next click save as Mini.lnk

The resulting file should then be copied to your internal storage via Activesync. Once it is there, then use Total Commander to copy it to your \Windows\Start Menu\ ... that's it. You should be good to go. If you check your start menu, Mini should be listed. One last item ... the "0" in the above file is a zero, and it represents which java application that opera mini is under. You might have to change the zero to a one, or a two, whatever, if you have several java apps on your device. It's simple enough to do, just press and hold on the file, go to properties, shortcut, make the change, and save (ok). Hope this isn't too confusing, it's really pretty straight forward, and if I can do it, anyone can!

Last edited by wmdunn; 03-29-2009 at 10:44 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile
Threadstarter

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdunn View Post
Riley ... I had to remember how I did the shortcut before, and here's how ...

On your desktop PC, right click and open a new text document. Open the document and place the following into it ...

28#"\windows\jbed.exe" -run s0_

Next click save as Mini.lnk

The resulting file should then be copied to your internal storage via Activesync. Once it is there, then use Total Commander to copy it to your \Windows\Start Menu\ ... that's it. You should be good to go. If you check your start menu, Mini should be listed. One last item ... the "0" in the above file is a zero, and it represents which java application that opera mini is under. You might have to change the zero to a one, or a two, whatever, if you have several java apps on your device. It's simple enough to do, just press and hold on the file, go to properties, shortcut, make the change, and save (ok). Hope this isn't too confusing, it's really pretty straight forward, and if I can do it, anyone can!
Man, you should have done this mini tutorial. this material is great. Thanks again. Everyone please thanks Wmdunn for this great tip on creating a shortcut

will post it on the first page as well later on. Thanks again!
Old 03-29-2009, 11:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

bean373 is keeping up the good workbean373 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdunn View Post
Hey Riley, I think this cab, that was put together a while back will set up opera mini to open and close automatically, along with a menu icon. It probably contains an older version of mini, and it's probably not for VGA. That being said, it should give you a clue as to how everything needs to be set up. I would do it myself, but I'm not sure how to extract a cab file.
Thanks for the cab file. I uninstalled opera mini and left in the original jbed that the OP gave. I installed the cab file you gave, and what do you know? Short cut icon/link created and now I don't need to launch jbed anymore. Thanks a bunch!!!

Any reason why I should install the new jbed??? Everything seem to work great.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:26 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean373 View Post
Thanks for the cab file. I uninstalled opera mini and left in the original jbed that the OP gave. I installed the cab file you gave, and what do you know? Short cut icon/link created and now I don't need to launch jbed anymore. Thanks a bunch!!!

Any reason why I should install the new jbed??? Everything seem to work great.
I think the newer Jbed might render the fonts a little larger, since it was made for VGA ... but if you're happy ... enjoy!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Re: Opera "Mini tutorial" updated 3/29 with new jbed and alternate installation metho

Updated information that some may find valuable. will post this as well on the first page. Since the newest Opera mobile 16277 has been released, the process of installing mini has changed a bit. I have been having issues with installing mini with mulitple certs since mini.opera.com does not open properly in Opera mobile anymore. I tried a number of solutions but found only one that works for me right now. Since most new roms have 16277 implemented, do not use opera mobile to get the info. Use Ie6 instead. Change ie6 to mobile view, then type in mini.opera.com and it worked. Brings you to correct page and follow the instruction 3 through 6 as noted on the first page which are:

3. On this screen, select the link that say this: "If this version fails to install or you would like to install a previous version. please click here"
4. Next, select the 1st opera mini 4.2 link "English USA Multiple certificates.
5. Your java vm will open up now and take over installation. just agree to the requests, and permissions. when you reach the net permission screen, select the first one "always giving permission". This eliminates it asking you over and over for network access.
6. Once it fires up, select accept, then menu and set up your options as discussed above for larger fonts and better pictures resolution.

let me know if you need any help. just trying to keep this updated for the mini lovers out there
Old 05-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Duh, think about it...

Talon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Opera "Mini tutorial" updated 3/29 with new jbed and alternate installation metho

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyd5 View Post
Updated information that some may find valuable. will post this as well on the first page. Since the newest Opera mobile 16277 has been released, the process of installing mini has changed a bit. I have been having issues with installing mini with mulitple certs since mini.opera.com does not open properly in Opera mobile anymore. I tried a number of solutions but found only one that works for me right now. Since most new roms have 16277 implemented, do not use opera mobile to get the info. Use Ie6 instead. Change ie6 to mobile view, then type in mini.opera.com and it worked. Brings you to correct page and follow the instruction 3 through 6 as noted on the first page which are:

3. On this screen, select the link that say this: "If this version fails to install or you would like to install a previous version. please click here"
4. Next, select the 1st opera mini 4.2 link "English USA Multiple certificates.
5. Your java vm will open up now and take over installation. just agree to the requests, and permissions. when you reach the net permission screen, select the first one "always giving permission". This eliminates it asking you over and over for network access.
6. Once it fires up, select accept, then menu and set up your options as discussed above for larger fonts and better pictures resolution.

let me know if you need any help. just trying to keep this updated for the mini lovers out there
Afteri updated my wifes Diamond, i installed Mini just fine using the mini.cab file. I use that same one on my Touch Pro too. Only thing is, it wasnt until the last couple days (for some reason) that i could use the SIP keyboard instead of the hw kb, and i havent reinstalled it on the Diamond yet cause i couldnt get the SIP kb to show up so she could manually enter a website.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon Pro View Post
Afteri updated my wifes Diamond, i installed Mini just fine using the mini.cab file. I use that same one on my Touch Pro too. Only thing is, it wasnt until the last couple days (for some reason) that i could use the SIP keyboard instead of the hw kb, and i havent reinstalled it on the Diamond yet cause i couldnt get the SIP kb to show up so she could manually enter a website.
cool, glad to hear it works with mini.cab. I prefer to keep updated with the various new jbed releases, then go to the web for the latest mini jar. I just noticed that the new opera mobile was not working too well and found a solution. That's strange about the keyboard though.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:14 AM
DroidX_ZombieStomped
Pocket PC: DroidX
Carrier: Verizon

yearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to yearn
Re: Opera "Mini tutorial" updated 5/5 with new installation method

Heres the cab I use, It installs a shortcut and works as well as all of them Iv tried. You just have to set the font to x-large.
Iv yet to find a version that the font is perfect like it was on my QVGA Vogue.
Im pretty sure Boxer112 built this cab but I cant remember for sure.
Hope it helps out.
Attached Files
File Type: cab Mini.cab (2.88 MB, 14 views) Click for barcode!

If I helped you out,Hit the THANKS

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond