PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Texting and Battery Life? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=61355)

MrObvious 03-16-2009 06:33 PM

Texting and Battery Life?

Why does it seem like my texting is killing my battery life? I can only get like 4-8 hours from a charge on my phone. I'm running MR 4.6 (need to update profile) and on Alltel. Phone calls and data (EVDO) don't use as much battery so my theory is that it's the SIP using the battery the most.

Any suggestions? Just throw it out there no matter what (even if it's a new battery). The phone is pretty much new.

Konfuzion 03-16-2009 06:40 PM

Re: Texting and Battery Life?

Whats the draw on your battery while your txting? Whats the draw on your battery at idle?

(WTB 4.7 maybe the SIP issue being resolved will help)

I cant offer too much help about battery life cause I charge mine everywhere I go. Charger at home/work/car.

And FFS update your profile (Just playing).

intx 03-16-2009 07:49 PM

One thing:

If you're on EVDO, text messages send and recieve in 1X mode. If you're constantly switching back and forth, it kills the battery.

Something to try:

HKLM->Software->OEM->PhoneSetting

Change "HiddenModeOperation" from 1 to 0.

Then go to Settings -> Phone -> Mode of Operation and set 1X only.

Try that for a day and see if it solves your problem

the7thson 03-16-2009 08:22 PM

Same thing happens to me. I'm on EVDO all the time and it's constanltly switching from EV to 1x when sending/receiving. The battery depletes at an alarming rate. I don't know if I want to set the mode to 1x permanently because I use a lot of data during the day too and I don't want to use 1x instead of EV since it's so much slower.

Overall pretty frustrating :(

MrObvious 03-16-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intx (Post 776342)
One thing:

If you're on EVDO, text messages send and recieve in 1X mode. If you're constantly switching back and forth, it kills the battery.

Something to try:

I thought of that. I'll try it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the7thson (Post 776423)
Same thing happens to me. I'm on EVDO all the time and it's constanltly switching from EV to 1x when sending/receiving. The battery depletes at an alarming rate. I don't know if I want to set the mode to 1x permanently because I use a lot of data during the day too and I don't want to use 1x instead of EV since it's so much slower.

Overall pretty frustrating :(

Yeah I know the feeling. :(

mulhiny 03-16-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intx (Post 776342)
One thing:

Something to try:

I can verify this works. I started forcing 1x about a week ago when I learned of this reg tweak and my battery life has certainly been better.

the7thson 03-17-2009 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulhiny (Post 776768)
I can verify this works. I started forcing 1x about a week ago when I learned of this reg tweak and my battery life has certainly been better.

Do you use your data plan for a lot of browsing etc? 1x is much much slower than EVDO..

mulhiny 03-17-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the7thson (Post 777209)
Do you use your data plan for a lot of browsing etc? 1x is much much slower than EVDO..

Not really during the day. While I'm working I might take the phone out of my pocket to fire off a quick text, but that's about it. No data really except for at lunch. Then I just put it back in EVDO. I suppose if you use the internet at random times during the day switching back and forth could really be a pain. If I use it it's usually for a set purpose, like "oh, I need to check my bank account" or whatever. So then it's no big deal to switch to EVDO, then back again. I guess if you use the internet a lot this can be a pain in the arse.

MrObvious 03-17-2009 04:24 PM

Hmm I tried it and it seemed to help.

the7thson 03-17-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulhiny (Post 777427)
Not really during the day. While I'm working I might take the phone out of my pocket to fire off a quick text, but that's about it. No data really except for at lunch. Then I just put it back in EVDO. I suppose if you use the internet at random times during the day switching back and forth could really be a pain. If I use it it's usually for a set purpose, like "oh, I need to check my bank account" or whatever. So then it's no big deal to switch to EVDO, then back again. I guess if you use the internet a lot this can be a pain in the arse.

Yeah it's definitely a pain but I guess I'll just switch to EVDO when necessary and leave it on 1x the rest of the time to try and save some battery. About 100 texts a day are a real battery killer...

Thanks for the solution though intx.