PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Mini usb cable does not click into the usb port anymore. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=60637)

Biker1 03-10-2009 06:53 PM

Mini usb cable does not click into the usb port anymore.

After 4 months of owning my Sprint Diamond , the usb cable does not snap into the port of the Diamond. It still charges but now with any slight pressure the cable dislodges from the port. I just noticed this the other day when the cable felt that it was not connecting properly to the port. I called HTC and THEY could fix it but there is a week 2 week turn around.HTC could not tell me if the port is modular or soldered to the motherboard. Does anyone know what is wrong with the usb port that is causing the cable not to snap in properly? And if Sprint can repair and/or replace the port or would they have to replace my Diamond. I have TEP. I want to keep this phone and not have to receive a replacement as I have it set up like I want it.

violent31601 03-10-2009 07:02 PM

Re: Mini usb cable does not click into the usb port anymore.

is it the stock mini usb?

the stock HTC one isn't a regular mini usb

shaggylive 03-10-2009 07:19 PM

you have checked other cables and with the little adapter too right?
I have several cords that no longer work right, but will charge in a pinch.

intx 03-10-2009 07:21 PM

Biker1, I had the SAME exact problem about 2 weeks ago.

Activesync wouldn't connect, and you had to wiggle it to charge and not touch it whatsoever.

I took it into Sprint, and yes, they did need to replace it. However, they tested it for about 5 seconds, went into the back and gave me a brand new one.

If you can't connect to your PC to back everything up, it's okay, you have options:

Option 1) Bluetooth your files? to another Pocket PC or phone, then have them put it on your PC

Option 2) FTP. Porta-Plus FTP is free for 14 days, and allows you to upload stuff to FTP(which is what I did)

Option 3) Skydrive: http://skydrive.live.com/ ... Access it from Opera Mobile and send your stuff over it.

But yeah, Sprint gave me a new one on the spot.

Ironically, my new Diamond is doing the same thing, and I'm getting ANOTHER one tomorrow.

TIP! Ask them for the extra battery out of your current phone. My rep was fine with it, also gave me the MiniUSB cord out of the new one

Biker1 03-10-2009 07:44 PM

I have been using the stock HTC mini usb cable since I got the phone. The cable that all of a sudden did not fit properly is the same cable that has been fitting properly all of this time, up until the other day. The Diamond charges fine except it does not lock in position anymore. I am sure that Sprint will see the problem away as this is not am intermittent problem. It occurs all the time since the the other day. The reason I do not want a new Diamond is because this one is running fine except that I have to reset it 8x a day!If I get a replacement, it may have more issues. My first Diamond had a magnet failure. The piece of magnet that holds the stylus came out of the Diamond. I know the store manager so I received a new Diamond instead of a refurbed.

Biker1 03-10-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intx (Post 763885)
Biker1, I had the SAME exact problem about 2 weeks ago.

Activesync wouldn't connect, and you had to wiggle it to charge and not touch it whatsoever.

I took it into Sprint, and yes, they did need to replace it. However, they tested it for about 5 seconds, went into the back and gave me a brand new one.

If you can't connect to your PC to back everything up, it's okay, you have options:

Option 1) Bluetooth your files? to another Pocket PC or phone, then have them put it on your PC

Option 2) FTP. Porta-Plus FTP is free for 14 days, and allows you to upload stuff to FTP(which is what I did)

Option 3) Skydrive: http://skydrive.live.com/ ... Access it from Opera Mobile and send your stuff over it.

But yeah, Sprint gave me a new one on the spot.

Ironically, my new Diamond is doing the same thing, and I'm getting ANOTHER one tomorrow.

TIP! Ask them for the extra battery out of your current phone. My rep was fine with it, also gave me the MiniUSB cord out of the new one

Thanks for the tips. I can still connect to my pc and the phone still charges. even when I wiggle the cable it still charges.The problems is that the cable easily dislodges from the port with some movement. I may take your advice or I may just leave it be.

intx 03-13-2009 06:57 PM

Ah, I misunderstood your post then.

I took my new diamond and got my 3rd one(2nd within a week) and got the entire box of goodies with it(plus my extra battery) and some premium headphones, so I'm not sore about it.

Biker1 03-13-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intx (Post 770863)
Ah, I misunderstood your post then.

I took my new diamond and got my 3rd one(2nd within a week) and got the entire box of goodies with it(plus my extra battery) and some premium headphones, so I'm not sore about it.

I tried the Diamond on display at the sprint store with the cable they had on Display and the cable fit the same way. There was little resistance. I tried the store cable in my Diamond and it fit the same way. I guess as long as I am charging, I will LED's the Diamond I have. Btw, due to a rainbow rectangular window in the center of my Diamond , I Would be able to exchange my Diamond for a replacement but I will keep my Diamond for now. I have a thread regarding the rainbow rectangular window. It is a know HTC issue that affects some phones.

Konfuzion 03-13-2009 07:40 PM

I just had a problem with my HTC Diamond today and this is how I handled it. Called Sprint and told them I had a manufactures defect on my phone and they said it will cost money to fix since you dont have insurance, I said its under the manufactures 1 year warranty to which they gave me the number to HTC. So I called HTC and they told me a 2 week turn around for repairs, so I called Sprint back and told them I can not be without my phone for 2 weeks. Sprint put a note on my account and told me to take it to a sprint store, which I did and they fixed it for free.

Or here is a great post to read which is basically what I followed.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...59&postcount=5

Biker1 03-14-2009 03:07 AM

What was the issue with your Diamond that the store was able to fix?