PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

supercoe is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question In call static / hissing problem...

Hi everybody, long time lurker first time poster!

I've had my sprint diamond since release day and love it very much but I've come to an issue that my searching cannot find and answer for.
I started using the included headset today because I found time to play with the FM radio app (awesome!). So I decided to make some calls with the headset to see what it was like and I noticed a background hiss during the conversation.

After some testing it's hard to tell if the static noise is happening when using the phone normally but it is defiantly apparent when using the headset or speakerphone.

The hissing also briefly goes away (for about 2 sec) if you press a number on the keypad. This was tested by calling my land line with the headset on, I could hear the hissing, press a number on the keypad and hissing will go away for a few seconds.

It also does not matter whether the screen is on or if TF3d is enabled.

Currently my phone is setup as such:
Radio: Telus V1.04.05V
Rom: Mighty 4.6 (rocks!)

Curious if any of you are having the same problem or if there is a fix?

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:13 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Re: In call static / hissing problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercoe View Post
Hi everybody, long time lurker first time poster!

I've had my sprint diamond since release day and love it very much but I've come to an issue that my searching cannot find and answer for.
I started using the included headset today because I found time to play with the FM radio app (awesome!). So I decided to make some calls with the headset to see what it was like and I noticed a background hiss during the conversation.

After some testing it's hard to tell if the static noise is happening when using the phone normally but it is defiantly apparent when using the headset or speakerphone.

The hissing also briefly goes away (for about 2 sec) if you press a number on the keypad. This was tested by calling my land line with the headset on, I could hear the hissing, press a number on the keypad and hissing will go away for a few seconds.

It also does not matter whether the screen is on or if TF3d is enabled.

Currently my phone is setup as such:
Radio: Telus V1.04.05V
Rom: Mighty 4.6 (rocks!)

Curious if any of you are having the same problem or if there is a fix?

Thanks.
sounds like you may have a hardware issue. My internal speaker started acting up only a few months after buying the diamond. I returned it and got a new one with no issues since. You may want to consider exchanging it.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:38 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

supercoe is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyd5 View Post
sounds like you may have a hardware issue. My internal speaker started acting up only a few months after buying the diamond. I returned it and got a new one with no issues since. You may want to consider exchanging it.

What kind of problems were you having? Because it does not seem like a hardware issue to me. The hissing completely goes away for a few seconds if the phone plays a sound, then returns. It almost seems like a sound driver issue?

Last edited by supercoe; 03-09-2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercoe View Post
What kind of problems were you having? Because it does not seem like a hardware issue to me. The hissing completely goes away for a few seconds if the phone plays a sound, then returns. It almost seems like a sound driver issue?
Ok, mine was definitely hardware related. If you think it may be a driver issue and your are on the stock rom, I would try hard reseting the device to start from a clean slate or even flashing back to oem shipped rom first, then flash custom rom of your choice (assuming that you already are flashing custom roms).
Old 03-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

supercoe is a n00b

Flashed the stock rom - same issue. Can someone else test this on their diamond?

1) Plug in the headset that came with the unit
2) Call a number that someone will be quiet (or just call your land line)
3) Turn the volume all the way up on the diamond so the hissing is apparent
4) During the call dial a single number on the keypad

Does the hissing go away for a couple seconds after the tone then return?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 04:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

HTCLeener is halfway to VIP status based on repHTCLeener is halfway to VIP status based on repHTCLeener is halfway to VIP status based on repHTCLeener is halfway to VIP status based on repHTCLeener is halfway to VIP status based on repHTCLeener is halfway to VIP status based on repHTCLeener is halfway to VIP status based on repHTCLeener is halfway to VIP status based on repHTCLeener is halfway to VIP status based on repHTCLeener is halfway to VIP status based on repHTCLeener is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to HTCLeener

I just tested it and I think it's just when you use the headset.

I'm on TELUS stock ROM CDMA but I'm pretty sure our hardware (headset included) is the same..

I get that 'hissing' noise you're talking about and then when I dialed a number it went away..

I think it's just the headset, it's not like it's the ultimate fantastical headset so little 'hissing' noises and such are expected.. so unless BOTH of us have a faulty headset then I think you're good to go!

If you're going to use my work, please give credit where credit is due.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:18 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

dbenson32 is a n00b

I have a similair problem. It's actually only with the same person so it leads me to believe it's their phone...but it really is just obnoxious so i feel your pain.

-Sean Taylor (1983-2007)
Old 03-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

supercoe is a n00b

Thanks for the replies, but I don't see how it could be the headset because I don't hear the hissing when playing music. Also If you try the steps above with speakerphone the same "problem" exists (it is more faint).

Most likely it is just internal EMI and I'm trying to be to picky about the way my diamond works :P

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond