PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   SSL Port Number - ActiveSync + Exchange (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=60213)

jbarns 03-06-2009 05:27 PM

SSL Port Number - ActiveSync + Exchange

Hello,

I'm trying to setup exchange on my phone but my company uses a "custom" port number for OWA. Is there anyway in the registry or in activesync to change the default SSL port (443) to the one I need?

Thanks!

MrObvious 03-06-2009 07:20 PM

Re: SSL Port Number - ActiveSync + Exchange

When you put in the server name put it in as www.servername.com:1234 where 1234 is your port. See if that works.

lawmangrant 03-06-2009 11:15 PM

Even if they use a custom port, the OWA address should take the WM client to the port.

jbarns 03-07-2009 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrObvious (Post 757446)
When you put in the server name put it in as www.servername.com:1234 where 1234 is your port. See if that works.

first thing i tried, active sync just deletes that right away after i input it. I also tried to do it in the registry and that didn't work. I assume that active sync adds :433 after the address automatically if you select SSL. I can't find that part in the registry tho:(.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawmangrant (Post 757763)
Even if they use a custom port, the OWA address should take the WM client to the port.

to access owa you need the specific port in the address.. that's the whole point of having it on a different port. More secure.

MrObvious 03-08-2009 12:22 AM

Not really. If you have you front door closed but your back door open on your house you're just as secure. The only difference is it takes 10 more seconds to get in and out.

jbarns 03-08-2009 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrObvious (Post 759073)
Not really. If you have you front door closed but your back door open on your house you're just as secure. The only difference is it takes 10 more seconds to get in and out.

uhh k..

not really a great analogy used there. hackers will probably scan addresses for openings in OWA through SSL or just port 80 because these are default and the easiest to access. Chances of them scanning a random port number for OWA access/loophole is quite a bit smaller. We don't have the infrastructure, money or time to create a bulletproof firewall so this is an easier fix.

Only thing is that it doesn't work for Active Sync, I'm just wondering if anybody knows how to get it to work. I kinda of doubt it can work but it doesn't hurt to ask.

jbarns 06-29-2009 10:40 AM

just an update to this. I finally found a program that let's you put the port number in the URL. Pretty neat program for all your email syncing needs actually.

It's called Emoze. Google it.