PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 01:43 PM
tmz
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO & Pro2
Carrier: sprint

tmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Forcing 1x over EVDO

Heres a cab, if it helps.

Thanks T M Z

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...83&postcount=8
Old 03-08-2009, 01:49 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

grt8neaphew is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to grt8neaphew

so if u force 1x then there shouldnt be a text delay like the problem the tp has been having?
Old 03-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic Baked 1.6 with Ultimate Kernel

JimboKern is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by grt8neaphew View Post
so if u force 1x then there shouldnt be a text delay like the problem the tp has been having?
It should be set to hybrid. Look up how data is transferred through a cellular network. This will help you with useless tweaks. You can only use EVDO on a sprint (or whomever your cellular carrier is) tower(s), and forcing it will only cause delays in other services not transmitted through EVDO, mainly 1X.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: The Now Network
Threadstarter

mulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboKern View Post
If you do EVDO only expect to have a problem with SMS since it uses 1X. You probably wont receive any text unless you make or receive a phone call.
Thanks for the advice. I actually only force it to 1x because I get better reception at home that way. I think the only time to force evdo would be while tethering.

"I am Mulhiny and I am a flasher"..wmdunn
"I am Mulhiny and I'm a phone junkie"..Riley
Old 03-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

mulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboKern View Post
It should be set to hybrid. Look up how data is transferred through a cellular network. This will help you with useless tweaks. You can only use EVDO on a sprint (or whomever your cellular carrier is) tower(s), and forcing it will only cause delays in other services not transmitted through EVDO, mainly 1X.
I'm not sure why you would refer to this as a "useless tweak". It's perfectly useful. Take data out of the picture. At home my phone switches from evdo to 1x non stop. With this tweak I can force 1x on my phone to stop the switching, which save me battery. Also I get a stronger signal. Before this tweak my only option to force 1x was to roam.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

pask2155 is keeping up the good workpask2155 is keeping up the good workpask2155 is keeping up the good work

so whats the draw backs of forcing 1x....just slower data speeds? and do you have to do the registry edit, or can you just force it in 1x through the settings>personal>phone?

and has anyone ever confirmed this saves battery life?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pask2155 View Post
so whats the draw backs of forcing 1x....just slower data speeds? and do you have to do the registry edit, or can you just force it in 1x through the settings>personal>phone?

and has anyone ever confirmed this saves battery life?
The only draw back I can see is slower data speeds. You do have to do the reg edit to get the menu on your phone. A cab has been posted, but I haven't tried it. I can say it has saved me battery at home because my service signal is very weak on evdo, no bars. When I force the 1x I get 3 bars. I have not used it in all day situation outside of my home. It would be my best guess to say it will save battery because normally your phone is in evdo. As soon as you send or receive a text you switch to 1x. Also if you make a call. I think this constant switching between 1x and evdo (if you text a lot like me) must take a toll on the battery. I could be wrong, but this is my best guess. It works for me. My advice is if you think you may benefit from it, try it. If you don't you can just use your phone in hybrid.

Last edited by mulhiny; 03-08-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

pask2155 is keeping up the good workpask2155 is keeping up the good workpask2155 is keeping up the good work

well i'm on juicy rom 4.4 and this option is already in my phone, so I guesss i don't need the reg. tweak
Old 03-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pask2155 View Post
well i'm on juicy rom 4.4 and this option is already in my phone, so I guesss i don't need the reg. tweak
Juicy must build it into his roms. Mighty had the roaming built in, but not this. Anyway give it a go and report back, good or bad. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:41 AM
rie
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

rie is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genjinaro View Post
It'd be nice if it ony went EVDO during browsing.

Let us know if its better.
IMHO I highly doubt it'lll be a noteworthy increase.

Someone in the MightyRom 4.8 thread talked about having a mort script that does this-the phone is set to 1x, but switches over to EVDO when you start using data.

This is obviously useful, but I don't know what to do with it... Because I don't know what a mort script is...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond