PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Lurker

Bodo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New to roms, getting diamond/pro?

So in a couple weeks I am either going to get the diamond or touch pro from sprint. I eventually will put a new ROM on it. So a diamond ROM cannot be used on a touch pro, or touch pro ROM on a diamond, correct? Also, I am going to be doing alot of texting, email, browsing. Which would work better? Some say they can use the touch screen better than the keyboard. So I am not sure if the diamond or touch pro would be better. Are there any ROMS that improve the digital qwerty on the diamond? And finally, is there any major perfomance differences between the diamond and pro in terms of speed? I searched everywhere for comparisons between the diamond and pro but they were all comparisons from right when they came out or before the phones were released. Thanks for everyones help!
Old 03-03-2009, 02:10 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

TerekKincaid is just getting started
Re: New to roms, getting diamond/pro?

Well, the onscreen keyboards are getting better, but I've still never seen one that compares to a physical keyboard. You can get away with the onscreen keyboard for browsing and probably for texting. But, if you're going to be composing full-length emails, you might want to think about the Pro. If you can, try to get a Sprint store and try them out.

The other considerations are thickness and storage. With the Diamond, you have 4 GB built in, but that's it. You cannot upgrade it, and you can't take it out (you do get the option to put the device into mass storage mode so it reads like a thumb drive - even my Mac can see it just fine). If you want more than 4, the Pro is your only option.

So, size, storage method/capacity, and keyboard. You have to weigh those 3 and make your decisions.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

welcome to the site... coming from a Mogul, i've been perfectly satisfied with my diamond...

Best... Member... Ever...
Old 03-03-2009, 02:32 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica2450 View Post
welcome to the site... coming from a Mogul, i've been perfectly satisfied with my diamond...
+1. If you have a PPC now get TouchPal on it ASAP and get used to it because it will make up for the lack of a full screen keyboard. Also the option exists to do a Landscape full screen keyboard which can work okay.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Bodo is a n00b

Does the landscape keyboard work in all messaging/email settings? I heard something about the landscape not working with everything.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:22 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I don't use Landscape (at the moment) with TouchPal. I just use the T+ 20 key layout in Portrait. But it works fine for me.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond/TP2

atrn271 is keeping up the good workatrn271 is keeping up the good work

Great questions indeed if planning on switching to a new phone. My experience is that it is all preference. Touch Pro is great if you like the slide out keyboard and landscape mode. Diamond is great for just the touch screen. I perfer the Diamond because I hate the slide out keyboard.

ROM's are made specifically for each type of phone, i.e. Diamond or Touch Pro etc... That goes with GSM and CDMA. DO YOUR RESEARCH AND READ AS MUCH AS YOU CAN BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING TO YOUR PHONE. Upon Flashing, you will then develop this itch to do it over and over again. That goes with personal customizations. It never ends!

That is why this site and XDA are so great. Everybody is here to help eachother!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:11 AM
N00b

TerekKincaid is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrn271 View Post
That goes with GSM and CDMA. DO YOUR RESEARCH AND READ AS MUCH AS YOU CAN BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING TO YOUR PHONE.
+1

Don't be like the poor guy that flashed a CDMA bootloader to his GSM phone. Game over, man. Short of doing something like that, however, it's perfectly safe. I've been flashing ROMs since the original XDA (T-mobile Pocket PC Phone).
Old 03-04-2009, 03:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker

jsvt3 is keeping up the good workjsvt3 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to jsvt3

I agree with atrn271, read everything you can, and when you jump in and find out it is actually pretty easy you will be hooked. I tried out both phones in store, and pretty much went for the size convenience since I don't need the slide out keyboard or removable storage. Get into a store and see which one does it for you after you hold them and push some buttons.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:48 AM
VIP BABY
Pocket PC: moto driod
Carrier: verzion

madcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
+1. If you have a PPC now get TouchPal on it ASAP and get used to it because it will make up for the lack of a full screen keyboard. Also the option exists to do a Landscape full screen keyboard which can work okay.
offtopic but we have the same avitar

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond