PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

Wond3r is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HTC warranty .. replacement? (crack in the frame)

I'm a TELUS user.

I've had the Diamond since near the end of summer. I just noticed that the shiny plastic frame to it is cracked right where the mini usb port is. It IS the thinnest part there after all.
It must have just happened recently, from the cold or something?? I never dropped it in the last month.

Any way I can send it in and get a new one because of this? I'm worried that it will crack the entire frame into 2 pieces.

(I can probably take a picture of it tomorrow if you want)
Old 03-03-2009, 01:12 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond, Dell X50v

Rassal is a n00b
Re: HTC warranty .. replacement? (crack in the frame)

I am also a Telus user and exactly the same thing happened... mini frame cracked right at the mini usb port... Telus cant do anything for me because it<s a cosmetic problem, and they charge 125$ for the replacement of the phone...

I think this is a default of the phone itself, and would also like to get this fixed...
Old 03-03-2009, 02:00 AM
p2k
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: TELUS

p2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I dont think theres much you can do, they will probably try to say you dropped it and thats why theres a crack.

Krazy Glue?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:26 AM
Chillin'
Pocket PC: Evolved....
Carrier: Sprint

hooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rep

probably the same as the Vogue/Verizon infamous cracked case issues...
Old 03-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

uwean is a n00b

Here's my workaround for HTC repair issues - it's worked quite well in the past.

This works for more serious issues than a crack in the plastic housing - such as the problems that could arise if/when that crack gets progressively worse. For example, my Mogul had the infamous burn-in spot on the lower left side of the screen. Now blow that out of proportion by saying that it's caused by a chip overheating under the screen, or by faulty manufacturing design that led a component to constantly press under the screen. Voila - you have due cause for a replacement. That's how I got a free Diamond. Or, for example, you have a phone's keypad stop recognizing presses, or type more than 1 number per key press. Also due cause - that's how my wife got a free Diamond. They key part of this is, have a damn good reason for why your phone no longer fulfills the purpose it's sold for.

So, without further ado - Uwean's Get-you-a-working-phone Method.

All HTC phones carry a one-year manufacturer's warranty, meaning your phone should be protected from manufacturing defects and flaws for one year after initial purchase of a new phone (not refurb). Unfortunately, since HTC is a Taiwanese company, they don't really do any sort of servicing or warranty service on a regular basis. In fact, it's ridiculously difficult to even get a hold of their warranty service department, not to mention actually get something repaired.

However, my advice is to call up your service provider, tell them that you have a device that's less than a year old that has proven to be defective, and ask if it would be possible to replace it.

Case 1: They say "Sure!"; you win.

Case 2: Hang up. Call back a half an hour later, and ask to speak with either a manager or retentions. When you get a hold of someone more senior than the average CSR, tell them that your phone has suffered a problem due to a manufacturing defect, assuming that you can reasonably argue that your problem is such a defect, and not clearly a problem due to abuse or mishandling of the device. Then go on to tell them that the device is covered by the manufacturer's warranty until XX/XX/20XX, but that since the manufacturer is based overseas, due to the need to ship the device to the manufacturer and back, this would leave you without a cellular phone for a period of 3-4 weeks. Then go on to say that the manufacturer recommended requesting that your service provider replace the defective phone, since they would be able to return the defective unit to the manufacturer and would be less inconvenienced than the user.

At this point, ask the manager/retentions rep to replace the unit as per the manufacturer's recommendation.

Case 2a. They say "Sure!"; you win.

Case 2b. Follow that up with the argument that it is ludicrous of the service provider to expect you to remain a loyal customer when they're basically expecting you to continue to pay for service for a month during which you wouldn't have an actual handset to use with their service. Inform them that, as a customer, you rely on your service provider to provide consistent service, and that returning the device to the manufacturer would, in practice, be a month-long disruption of your service. If such a disruption were to occur due to a network outage, it would be an outrage and you would be fully within your rights to expect to be let out of your service contract. Tell them that, if they are placing you in a position to be without cellular service for an extended period, that you would like to be let out of your contract.

At this point, they will probably offer to placate you with a discount on a phone. Don't take it, since they owe you a working unit of the same sort as the one you paid for. Keep at it, and you're likely to get it. If they call you out on it and offer to close your account, tell them that you'll have to first open a new line with a competitor so as to have seamless service (be sure to drop in a specific name, and maybe say why you think they're better). Then, email the same argument, but more eloquently worded, to E-Care or do an EECB (google it) to Sprint and/or HTC.

The bottom line is: if you have a valid complaint (and not a BS one), you can probably get a favorable resolution as long as you play your cards right. That's how I've gotten quite a few phones for free - because most phones can't even stand up to a year of regular use. I got my diamond in September of last year, and now I have a weird oily pattern within the LCD. It's like an internal element broke open, because it behaves like a liquid between two planes when I put pressure on it. The screen still works and displays correctly, but if it gets any worse, I'll have to get it replaced. Probably right around when the Touch Pre or Diamond 2 comes out... <.<

Good luck and happy hunting.

P.S. - To get a replacement, you might have to renew your contract. Whether that's worth it or not is up to you. I have the discontinued SERO plan, so I have no problem being under contract =D
Old 03-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HP H3850-->HP hx2190-->HTC Touch Diamond-->HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus Mobility

banjoeball knows their stuffbanjoeball knows their stuffbanjoeball knows their stuffbanjoeball knows their stuffbanjoeball knows their stuffbanjoeball knows their stuffbanjoeball knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to banjoeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wond3r View Post
I'm a TELUS user.

I've had the Diamond since near the end of summer. I just noticed that the shiny plastic frame to it is cracked right where the mini usb port is. It IS the thinnest part there after all.
It must have just happened recently, from the cold or something?? I never dropped it in the last month.

Any way I can send it in and get a new one because of this? I'm worried that it will crack the entire frame into 2 pieces.

(I can probably take a picture of it tomorrow if you want)
Did you end up resolving your cracked casing issue? I'm hoping so because my Telus diamond, bought @ the end of summer, (sound familiar?) also has a cracked frame right near the USB port. I kind of laughed to myself when I read your post, because I was just thinking what I would do if it broke into 2 pieces.
Also no idea how it happened, never drop it, and treat it better than I treat myself. Kind of angry.
If need be, I'll take it to the top. ANd I definitely won't stop until I get something new. Seriously! 6 1/2 months?? I expexted a little better quality...
Old 03-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Threadstarter

Wond3r is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeball88 View Post
Did you end up resolving your cracked casing issue? I'm hoping so because my Telus diamond, bought @ the end of summer, (sound familiar?) also has a cracked frame right near the USB port. I kind of laughed to myself when I read your post, because I was just thinking what I would do if it broke into 2 pieces.
Also no idea how it happened, never drop it, and treat it better than I treat myself. Kind of angry.
If need be, I'll take it to the top. ANd I definitely won't stop until I get something new. Seriously! 6 1/2 months?? I expexted a little better quality...
Well after reading a few posts, I was discouraged at my chances of getting a replacement or getting it fixed so I havent brought this up to telus or htc yet.
I'm still worried about the crack
Old 03-11-2009, 02:33 AM
LMG - GEEK, VIP!!!
Pocket PC: HTC TP Pro 2 (From HTC Touch Diamond)

lawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to lawmangrant Send a message via MSN to lawmangrant Send a message via Yahoo to lawmangrant Send a message via Skype™ to lawmangrant

Well, I would contact HTC and inquire about the 1 year warrenty. They put it out there, its our right as the consumer to use it.
PLAN:
Everything450, w/ unlimited mobile to mobile[B]

Need Dropbox? Use my referral here!
Old 03-11-2009, 03:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Spiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Spiderman313

I have the same crack in the same area. I have a Sprint Diamond. It doesn't seem serious though but I could be wrong.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: No idea
Carrier: T-Mobile

ihateHTCnowon is a n00b
Thumbs down Re: HTC warranty .. replacement? (crack in the frame)

HTC has the worst Warranty Service. I bought My Touch 4G 5 months ago and while I was taking out of my charger the phone slipped and within 6 inches height the screen glass broke. It appeared that they are using a very low grade cheap glass. I called and explained the incident to HTC. They told me that I should send the unit for warranty repair. So, I sent to their Texas facility. When they received the unit they called and told me that broken glass is out of warranty. I asked them to explain if it is out of warranty or not covered by the warranty. The girl from another planet (definitely not from US) kept on saying it is out of warranty. I said how can it be out of warranty if my phone is only 5 months old? Then she said broken phone is out of warranty. I understood that she is lacking right words there and I started writing them. But they blocked my emails. I then copied to every possible email at HTC and finally somebody wrote me back from gmail account and told me that I had to pay $130 to replace LCD screen. I said LCD was working fine it needed only screen glass. She said that's what technician wrote there. I had already spent money to mail it to them now I have to pay additional $130. So, I said then I do not want it repaired, send the unit back to me. Then she asked me to pay $35 to send the unit back to me. I was surprised that they held my phone for a month when I told them that they should not charge me anything for not repairing it. Finally I had no choice but to pay $35 to get broken phone back. THEY DID NOT CARE NO MATTER WHAT I SAID. SO, NOW ON I HATE HTC AND I WILL NEVER BUY ANY HTC PRODUCTS AND I WILL NOT RECOMMEND ANYBODY TO USE HTC PRODUCTS.
I have never seen such a lousy customer service and poor warranty service before especially when they know thousands of customers are writing about the same problem online. These Taiwanese company is trying rip us off. US government should audit their quality if they meet US standard or not.
If somebody is filing a lawsuit, count on me to join on class action.

Last edited by ihateHTCnowon; 07-11-2011 at 07:59 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond