PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   CDMA or GSM (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=58929)

82tarheel 02-23-2009 05:38 PM

CDMA or GSM

Sorry for dumb ? but I have had an apache or mogul for some time and sprint is replacing with diamond (I will deal with sprint on that). How do I know if Diamond is QVGA or VGA and what is difference between CDMA and GSM

MoonZ*BabysH 02-23-2009 05:39 PM

Re: CDMA or GSM

Regardless of which network its on the Diamond is a VGA (Screen Resolution) Device.
GSM= AT&t, T-Mobile and any other Phone company that uses SIM Cards and can be used Worldwide for the most part.
CDMA= Sprint, Verizon, and all the other Companys that do not use SIM Cards and its mainly in the States.

if i am wrong someone please correct me.

MrObvious 02-23-2009 05:41 PM

You're gonna get a Diamond or Touch Pro no matter what. It's VGA on a CDMA network if you use Sprint.

infection0 02-23-2009 10:00 PM

63 posts and he has to ask this?

Whoa...

CDMA networks are limited to USA only. They are also much more difficult to port to another carrier (chances are your phone is locked to Sprint for life, unless you do some heavy mojo to change it) GSM network devices can swap SIM cards to adapt to anywhere in the world as long as they are unlocked.

shadowfender42 02-23-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infection0 (Post 733879)

Whoa...

Theres always something to learn. Its like if you told me you took some physics classes and I mention quantum physics theories and you don't know about them. You may know some stuff on something but youre not going to know everything.
However what Infection said about CDMA and GSM is correct and its really frustrating the way CDMA is.

MrObvious 02-23-2009 10:47 PM

It is kinda frustrating but what can you do? CDMA has more towers in the US than GSM.

ou2mame 02-23-2009 11:08 PM

lol i wonder what the other 63 posts were..

SporkLover 02-23-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infection0 (Post 733879)

Whoa...

CDMA networks are limited to USA only. They are also much more difficult to port to another carrier (chances are your phone is locked to Sprint for life, unless you do some heavy mojo to change it) GSM network devices can swap SIM cards to adapt to anywhere in the world as long as they are unlocked.

misinformation. Canada, Mexico, Jamaica, South Korea, and a few other places have CDMA carriers. Granted nowhere near the amount of GSM carriers out there.

The only carrier that gives you difficulty porting phones to their network is Sprint. Almost every other US CDMA carrier will allow you to port a phone to their network, and will even help you. For the Touch Pro / Diamond, there are multiple guides on this forum to port from Sprint to other carriers.

shadowfender42 02-24-2009 10:04 AM

You know what I just realized? The BB Storm is with verizon and theyre CDMA right? So why in the Verizon commercial theyre going all over the world and saying the phone works everywhere? Weird.

shadowfender42 02-24-2009 10:13 AM

Never mind I just looked it up the BB Storm is GSM =P