PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Any way to disable the scrollable zoom in Opera Mobile? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=58437)

akates 02-19-2009 07:45 PM

Any way to disable the scrollable zoom in Opera Mobile?

I just updated to OMJ's 2.00 v2 ROM and I don't like how the Opera always has a magnifying glass down in the right corner for zoom. It's totally unnecessary as we can already zoom by tapping or using the D-pad and it gets in the way of what I'm trying to read. Any way to disable this option? I'm sure there is I just can't find it in Opera:Config!

akates 02-20-2009 10:41 AM

Re: Any way to disable the scrollable zoom in Opera Mobile?

Nobody knows how to disable this? I guess I'm the only one it bothers?

wmdunn 02-20-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akates (Post 725338)
Nobody knows how to disable this? I guess I'm the only one it bothers?

Actually, I didn't like it either, but it's built into the newer version of Opera. I reverted back to 15316, by cooking my own rom in Calcu's kitchen. I noticed that Mighty Mike went back to 15316 in his most recent roms as well ...

akates 02-20-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmdunn (Post 725621)
Actually, I didn't like it either, but it's built into the newer version of Opera. I reverted back to 15316, by cooking my own rom in Calcu's kitchen. I noticed that Mighty Mike went back to 15316 in his most recent roms as well ...

So if I have the version with this newer version cooked into OMJ's ROM can I install an older version of Opera without it? You would think there would be some way to disable it as well! Lastly, how do you check what build of opera you have?

wmdunn 02-20-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akates (Post 725652)
So if I have the version with this newer version cooked into OMJ's ROM can I install an older version of Opera without it? You would think there would be some way to disable it as well! Lastly, how do you check what build of opera you have?

I'm not sure about installing an older version ... perhaps OMJ can help when he returns. As for the version ... go into Opera, and type opera:about in the url bar ... it will tell you the version and build number.

tersoth 02-20-2009 05:54 PM

its a simple reg edit

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Opera\Defaults]
"ZoomSliderEnabled" dword=0

akates 02-21-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tersoth (Post 726401)
its a simple reg edit

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Opera\Defaults]
"ZoomSliderEnabled" dword=0

Awesome, that did it! Good to know. Now I'm stuck with two other bugs I just realized in this Opera. The little menu button in the bottom right keeps dissapearing leaving me stuck in full screen mode without a way to exit or change pages. Seem to dissapear when the little guide on the right telling you where you are goes away as well. Doesn't always happen, but happens like 90% of the time.

I'm also stuck with a white box in the top right corner of the screen that doesn't go away.

Anyone know how to fix these bugs?

akates 02-21-2009 01:28 PM

btw, I'm on build 15445

akates 02-21-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akates (Post 727813)
Awesome, that did it! Good to know. Now I'm stuck with two other bugs I just realized in this Opera. The little menu button in the bottom right keeps dissapearing leaving me stuck in full screen mode without a way to exit or change pages. Seem to dissapear when the little guide on the right telling you where you are goes away as well. Doesn't always happen, but happens like 90% of the time.

I'm also stuck with a white box in the top right corner of the screen that doesn't go away.

Anyone know how to fix these bugs?

I also just noticed that both bugs pop up at the same time (white box appears when the little menu button dissapears) and that it only happens on non mobile pages. On all mobile pages it works normally?

akates 02-21-2009 03:48 PM

Sorry to be responding to myself but evidently it's a bug in 15445. I was able to change my build to 15202 and it works much better with no bugs. All I had to do was replace the Opera9.exe and OperaL.exe files, no need to run a cab installation or anything.

wmdunn 02-22-2009 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by akates (Post 728087)
Sorry to be responding to myself but evidently it's a bug in 15445. I was able to change my build to 15202 and it works much better with no bugs. All I had to do was replace the Opera9.exe and OperaL.exe files, no need to run a cab installation or anything.

You might want to try 15613. It is quite a bit faster, smoother, and has the zoom tool back on the bottom. For me, it's the fastest Opera, yet. If you decide to use it, be sure to kill opera process with dot fred task manager before installing.

akates 02-22-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmdunn (Post 729794)
You might want to try 15613. It is quite a bit faster, smoother, and has the zoom tool back on the bottom. For me, it's the fastest Opera, yet. If you decide to use it, be sure to kill opera process with dot fred task manager before installing.

I actually don't like the zoom tool but I found out how to remove it so that' no biggie. Since I'm using an Opera cooked into my ROM I've been just copying the Opera9.exe and OperaL.exe from the cab file into my /Windows folder (worked fine for 15202). Will doing this copy over all of the advantages of this new version as well?

akates 02-22-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmdunn (Post 729794)

15613 had these bugs as well. I'm getting the dissapearing option button and the white square. Tried uninstalling and now Opera won't load period. Should have just stayed with 15202.

wmdunn 02-22-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akates (Post 730448)
15613 had these bugs as well. I'm getting the dissapearing option button and the white square. Tried uninstalling and now Opera won't load period. Should have just stayed with 15202.

I really prefer the speed of 15613 ... why don't you try installing the cab, and just stay with it until something better comes along. If you do this be sure to kill the opera process with dot fred task manager. By the way, I installed 15613 over 15316 which was built into my rom. Good luck ...

ps I think killing opera process is the key to uninstalling as well.

akates 02-22-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmdunn (Post 730520)
I really prefer the speed of 15613 ... why don't you try installing the cab, and just stay with it until something better comes along. If you do this be sure to kill the opera process with dot fred task manager. By the way, I installed 15613 over 15316 which was built into my rom. Good luck ...

ps I think killing opera process is the key to uninstalling as well.

I was able to reinstall it so I have opera working again although 15613 definitely has the same bug where there is a white box and a non working bottom right corner button on any non-mobile page. It makes it virtually worthless for me since the majority of the pages I go to aren't mobile. I think I'll be able to just replace the 2 .exe files with the 15202 ones to avoid having to uninstall since that doesn't work. It's too bad too because 15613 really was faster but I just can't deal with that bug.

wmdunn 02-22-2009 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akates (Post 730546)
I was able to reinstall it so I have opera working again although 15613 definitely has the same bug where there is a white box and a non working bottom right corner button on any non-mobile page. It makes it virtually worthless for me since the majority of the pages I go to aren't mobile. I think I'll be able to just replace the 2 .exe files with the 15202 ones to avoid having to uninstall since that doesn't work. It's too bad too because 15613 really was faster but I just can't deal with that bug.

That's good that you got it reinstalled. I double checked mine, and I only occasionally have the small white window. Don't have the disappearing thing you were talking about at all. Anyway, I'm encouraged by the progress that Opera Mobile seems to be making with the browser's speed.

akates 02-22-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmdunn (Post 730554)
That's good that you got it reinstalled. I double checked mine, and I only occasionally have the small white window. Don't have the disappearing thing you were talking about at all. Anyway, I'm encouraged by the progress that Opera Mobile seems to be making with the browser's speed.

Yeah, my white block and dissapearing menu button go hand in hand. Any page that has one has the other (cnn.com is an obvious one). It's not even sporadic, it's every time I go to cnn.com. Oh well, 15202 isn't too shabby!

wmdunn 02-23-2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akates (Post 730571)
Yeah, my white block and dissapearing menu button go hand in hand. Any page that has one has the other (cnn.com is an obvious one). It's not even sporadic, it's every time I go to cnn.com. Oh well, 15202 isn't too shabby!

It's so funny how www.cnn.com does that ... I never go there, so hadn't seen it before. Wonder what causes it, when it doesn't do it on any of the sites I typically visit? Crazy ...

Nice sharing with you ... enjoy 15202!

akates 02-23-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmdunn (Post 731247)
It's so funny how www.cnn.com does that ... I never go there, so hadn't seen it before. Wonder what causes it, when it doesn't do it on any of the sites I typically visit? Crazy ...

Nice sharing with you ... enjoy 15202!

Yeah, it's not just cnn.com but that's just one that everybody would know that I go to regularly. It does it on a few other sites as well so I'll just stay with 15202. One thing I found is it's much easier to try out a new version by backing up the Opera9.exe and OperaL.exe files and then replacing just those with the new ones. It definitely works and if you don't like the changes you can just put the old files back. It won't change the look of your Opera boot screen (if it says HTC it'll stay on that and if it says Opera Mobile it'll stay on that) but I think those are probably just loaded in another file. The actual executable does change though!

neelesh 03-04-2009 05:49 PM

erm I have a opposite question, I installed the new mighty 4.6 rom and it has the newest version of opera 15954 and I had it before on an older version, and it had the little zoom scroll button on the left, and now it dissapeared? how do I make it come back?? I have the zoom slider enabled set at 1 for the reg edit??

MrObvious 03-04-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neelesh (Post 753419)
erm I have a opposite question, I installed the new mighty 4.6 rom and it has the newest version of opera 15954 and I had it before on an older version, and it had the little zoom scroll button on the left, and now it dissapeared? how do I make it come back?? I have the zoom slider enabled set at 1 for the reg edit??

Just use the little scroll wheel.

neelesh 03-04-2009 10:38 PM

well i really liked that zoom icon thing, it made it so much faster to zoom. anyone know how to get it back?

wmdunn 03-04-2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neelesh (Post 753932)
well i really liked that zoom icon thing, it made it so much faster to zoom. anyone know how to get it back?

Mine works fine, and here are the registry entries that I have. You might compare them to yours, and see what's missing.

They are all dwords ...

StrengthLaunchButton 3
StrengthLinkClicked 3
StrengthZoomLaunchButton 3
StrengthZoomSliderKnob 0
ZoomSliderEnabled 1
ZoomSliderTimeout 2000

I'm not sure if this will help, but it might be worth a try. Good Luck ...

neelesh 03-05-2009 12:45 AM

hmm I have those exact same reg edits...this is so weird. lol