PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 12:57 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

dizzywizzy is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Will GPS work in London?

Hi,

Going to London for a week, I know that I can not get phone service there with my Diamond, but will I be able to use the phone with my naviagations software? Will it still pick up GPS signal without phone service?

Thanks!!
Old 02-13-2009, 01:44 PM
The Playboy Boy
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

Curb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuff
Re: Will GPS work in London?

maybe, maybe not. I would guess no cause even GPS units you would buy do not come loaded with maps of the world. There is probably GPS software for the diamond you cfan buy that has maps for london for extra money. I'd call Sprint and ask them if data usage outside the US costs extra too.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:57 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

We went through this with the titan on sprint.

Titan - no.

I brought my AT&T Tilt over, and it worked great. It did have a "native" O2 sim card in it at the time.

Also used an off-the-shelf HP/ipaq navigator (WM5!) which took forever to lock, but also worked.

So aGPS, not so much w/o signal, even in standalone mode

And yes, you'll want to buy those UK maps.

It is VERY worth it to have SOME kind of GPS there. Street signs are a joke, and you really want to be focusing on "STAY ON THE LEFT!!!!" and not a map. A GPS that says "second exit" when you go into the rotary is worth its weight in gold.

Oh, wait. if you are going to LONDON only, forget the GPS. Get a Tube map. Forget the Car.

Tube + walk. It's I think 18 pounds for a 3 day pass. Well worth it.

Enjoy the trip
Old 02-13-2009, 02:40 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

dizzywizzy is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
We went through this with the titan on sprint.

Titan - no.

I brought my AT&T Tilt over, and it worked great. It did have a "native" O2 sim card in it at the time.

Also used an off-the-shelf HP/ipaq navigator (WM5!) which took forever to lock, but also worked.

So aGPS, not so much w/o signal, even in standalone mode

And yes, you'll want to buy those UK maps.

It is VERY worth it to have SOME kind of GPS there. Street signs are a joke, and you really want to be focusing on "STAY ON THE LEFT!!!!" and not a map. A GPS that says "second exit" when you go into the rotary is worth its weight in gold.

Oh, wait. if you are going to LONDON only, forget the GPS. Get a Tube map. Forget the Car.

Tube + walk. It's I think 18 pounds for a 3 day pass. Well worth it.

Enjoy the trip
Thank you- I guess I should have elaborated, I have an Diamond with the GPS enabled, and also have the navigations software igo8 and a London map for it.

I lived in London for 4 years so yeah, the tube is the way to go I'm just going to be traveling to some different areas, and thought it might be handy.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:36 PM
mmmm Freebirds
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (X2)

Darkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIP

Funny, one of my co-workers just left for London on Thursday. He took his (my old) titan with him. He has TomTom7 and the western Europe maps. I told him I was not sure that it would work or not.

Good things don't end in 'eum,' they end in 'mania'...or 'teria'
Easily switch between TouchFlo and Mobile Shell
If you like my work feel free to
Old 02-13-2009, 06:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

lxcivic4life is keeping up the good worklxcivic4life is keeping up the good worklxcivic4life is keeping up the good work

I can confirm that GPS will NOT work on CDMA phones overseas unless there is CDMA coverage in that country, which I think all of Europe is GSM. In order for GPS to turn on or be activated, you must have cellphone service. However, when I travel overseas, I take a Holux bluetooth GPS reciever with me. It works great with TomTom and Google maps. It does not require the phone to be connected to any service but does drain the battery pretty fast.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Touch pro 2 Telus
Carrier: Telus Mobility

chapinrico is keeping up the good workchapinrico is keeping up the good work

Not true. Using google maps i made sure that before I left toronto I had the last page of google maps on mexico and guatemala. I constantly was able to get a gps location. No cell phone service in Guatemala I just used the map that stays on the phones memory....could not zoom in to update phone but I was able to see exactly where i was all the time....without ever having cell phone service. So before you leave make sure u go into google maps and leave it on a position you are ok with to see ur position...once in London start up google maps and us gps...map will not update but gps will work.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:25 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Wrong. AGPS won't work. GPS will. The problem is (just like the 6800) GPS signals are crap to lock on with. So it will take a while but will work in standalone mode. Just try to set it via the registry to GPSMode 1 and then you should get locks through the GPS only. Also do things like use HTC's QuickGPS and prime it with Google Maps or Baf's GPS doohicky.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond - MightyROM 4.x - Radio Sprint V1.11.00.F

infection0 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularinfection0 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularinfection0 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularinfection0 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxcivic4life View Post
I can confirm that GPS will NOT work on CDMA phones overseas unless there is CDMA coverage in that country..
I am pleased to announce that you're wrong about that... I take the phone into Airplane mode (no service) and my GPS can lock on. It takes longer, about a minute in good conditions, but that's all. The Diamond DOES have a standalone GPS like your Holux built right in. What won't work is Sprint Navigation or anything that needs to download data. If you have a standalone program like TomTom already, then it should work.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

I could never get GPS in Europe to work with my Mogul, but you will be able to with your Diamond.... with or without coverage.

Quick test... turn off the Cell Radio and try to get a GPS lock.... it will work I already have with my TP
Phones: Motorola MicroTAC 650E, Qualcomm/Kyocera QCP 860, Sanyo SCP-4700, Sanyo SCP-4900, Samsung A500, Sanyo MM-7400, Sanyo MM-7500, Samsung APH A900M, LG Fusic, LG Musiq, HTC Apache, Palm Centro, Samsung Rant, HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2. Samsung Moment, HTC Evo 4G

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond