PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: The Now Network

mulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Getting ready to flash and have a few questions

I've been reading the forums here for some time and I think I'm ready to give flashing for the first time a go. I just was wondering about a few things. I currently use the stock Sprint Rom with all the battery tweaks I've found here. Thing is, I really have no problems with my phone. I mean, battery life could be a little better but over all the phone works nice and smooth and never have I had to hard reset. So, my question is..before I flash to a new rom (I was thinking Mighty's) do I really need to?? Will I see any real difference? Is flashing done out of need or more just because we can? Any input would be great. Can anyone using this rom or any other for that matter weigh in on this? Maybe a before/after type of input?

Thanks in advance,

Mulhiny
Old 02-10-2009, 07:58 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP
Re: Getting ready to flash and have a few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulhiny View Post
I've been reading the forums here for some time and I think I'm ready to give flashing for the first time a go. I just was wondering about a few things. I currently use the stock Sprint Rom with all the battery tweaks I've found here. Thing is, I really have no problems with my phone. I mean, battery life could be a little better but over all the phone works nice and smooth and never have I had to hard reset. So, my question is..before I flash to a new rom (I was thinking Mighty's) do I really need to?? Will I see any real difference? Is flashing done out of need or more just because we can? Any input would be great. Can anyone using this rom or any other for that matter weigh in on this? Maybe a before/after type of input?

Thanks in advance,

Mulhiny
I can remember a couple of years ago, when I was in your same situation ... nothing really wrong ... yet, wondering. First of all, when the phone comes from the Sprint store, it has quite a bit of useless and generic stuff. Until you have experienced something better, you won't know how slow and average the phone is. What most of the custom roms are, and this is an over simplification ... is a cleaning out of all the unnecessary files, and a tuning (if you will) of the overall device. It is also done for the aesthetics and overall look of the of the experience. You will find the custom roms much quicker, usually with a maximized battery, and the addition of programs and applications that each chef prefers.

With all that said, it's really individual preference that dictates which rom, one will choose. I have used Mike's, and it is quite good. He has moved on to the Touch Pro, but continues to be active in the Diamond forum. I have also used Calcu's kitchen to customize my own rom, and that was a good experience ... he is very talented, indeed. My rom of choice is OMJ's clean, which I have customized to my own liking. OMJ's look is very close to stock, but quick and stable, which I prefer. Do some reading, and give a couple a try ... you will find a world of difference.

ps --I really wasn't trying to slight any of the others, like RStoyguy and Indagroove ... you wouldn't go wrong with those, either. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:06 PM
intx is the sexiest VIP
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint

intx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to intx Send a message via Yahoo to intx

Groove's is a very very good ROM, I highly recommened it.

Donate if you like my work!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Pre 2, Evo

tersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stuff

well the main reason i flashed was because of program memory or the lack of it on the stock ROM (i think it has like 40mbs out of the box). the first night i got mine and installed all my usual apps i had like 5mbs free and my phone kept crashing (even though you can install most programs to the internal memory some can only be installed to the device memory.) plus the more memory you have the more freedom you have to do things like change themes (which eat up about 20mbs on your device memory) i know juicy's roms, possibly mikes, and the ones i cook up for myself have around 90-100mbs free memory. plus they come with things that you can oook in and not have to waist precious rom on like the HD manilla, the lastest versions of opera, IE 6, or custom keyboards.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

mulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I guess my mind is make up and I will go ahead and attempt the flash. Think I'm going to look over all the ROM threads once again tonight and make my choice. I'll probably flash tomorrow night. Wish me luck as I'm a little nervous!! lol
Old 02-10-2009, 10:21 PM
mcom
Pocket PC: Panther 850e, RhodiumW500, BlackBerry8220
Carrier: Telus & Rogers

briggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I just started flashing my phone in november. It adds a lot to the phones functionality. I was sitting on the fence for the first couple of months I had my phone, but I have been flashing mighty's rom for about 3 months now and it has never let me down.

Be forewarned though, it may become adicting.

Beware the pusherman...
Old 02-10-2009, 10:29 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo/HTC Arrive

purian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the community

I downloaded the ruu file,but im not quite sure what it means by finding the ruu_signed.nbh file,and not sure on what adding to root would be., I see nothing labled that when i extract ruu flash rom file , files have like rom update utility.exe, bootloader., I'm just not seeing what im missing to get a actual flash to my home, .. sorry for the questions just too new to the terms. Flashing activesync doesnt reconize my phone in bootloader screen , so thinking of sd flash , any input would help., I know the roms are better than stock and i have unlocked the phone., just keep getter error 240.. Thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 10:43 PM
VIP Member

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by purian23 View Post
I downloaded the ruu file,but im not quite sure what it means by finding the ruu_signed.nbh file,and not sure on what adding to root would be., I see nothing labled that when i extract ruu flash rom file , files have like rom update utility.exe, bootloader., I'm just not seeing what im missing to get a actual flash to my home, .. sorry for the questions just too new to the terms. Flashing activesync doesnt reconize my phone in bootloader screen , so thinking of sd flash , any input would help., I know the roms are better than stock and i have unlocked the phone., just keep getter error 240.. Thanks
Since you have unlocked your phone, it's a pretty simple operation. First of all, connect the phone to your computer via usb, and sync your contacts, etc. Once activesync has finished, go to the folder that has your custom rom, and double click on the rom update utility. From that point on, just follow the directions. When the rom update is finished, your device will reset itself, disconnect from the computer, and let the customizations run. When your phone is ready for use ... go to clear storage, and do a hard reset (be sure not to reset your internal storage). Let it run, and you are all set ... simply customize as you like.

Good luck, it's not too scary or complicated ... just take your time, and pay attention.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Really just want to say thanks again to all that responded. I just flashed Mighty's Rom and all went as planned. I can't believe how easy it was!! What a baby I've been all scared to flash, lol..
Old 02-10-2009, 11:37 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulhiny View Post
Really just want to say thanks again to all that responded. I just flashed Mighty's Rom and all went as planned. I can't believe how easy it was!! What a baby I've been all scared to flash, lol..
Alright ... now repeat after me ... "my name is Milhiny, and I am a flasher ... "

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond