PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Is there a cab file for the original PIE (not PIE 6) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=54392)

bender29 01-22-2009 06:51 PM

Is there a cab file for the original PIE (not PIE 6)

I originally asked this in MightyMikes 4.2 thread, but thought I'd give it a try here.

I'm using his 4.2 rom, but it comes with PIE6. I was hoping there was a cab file for the original PIE so I could install that and take advantage of the custom ROMs I like.

I don't like PIE6 - no more single-column mode, the fonts really small on some sites, can't use the dpad to go from link to link.

I had a good thing going with the stock PIE. I used it to browse mobile versions of sites. It was especially good for browsing message boards in mobile mode, since those sites are mostly text. And it reformatted into single column, which meant no horizontal scrolling.

I use Opera Mobile when I need to browse fuller featured sites. But lately I've found I don't use it at all. I can't stand their crappy bookmarks..

I also use Opera Mini when I can. But there is a bug where you click a link and then it reloads the same page you were on instead of the page you want. Sometimes it would load a page and then focus somewhere in the middle of a page. I would then have to scroll all the way back up. This is especially annoying when reading message boards.

Skyfire - only for flash video sites.

So there's my reasoning. I'd be interested in hearing how other Diamond users are juggling between browsers.

tobeychris 01-22-2009 07:44 PM

Re: Is there a cab file for the original PIE (not PIE 6)

IE is in the SYS, and as far as I know, it can't be made a cab.

dwizzy130 01-22-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobeychris (Post 659448)
IE is in the SYS, and as far as I know, it can't be made a cab.

I seem to remember a cab for the version of pie that was in wm6.1 back when we were all on wm6.0..... But that might be a different situation because it was still pie5.xxx if I remember correctly.

dwizzy130

Darkness231 01-23-2009 12:40 PM

The cab for PIE from WM6.1 can be found at XDA.
I would definitely do a full back up before overwriting the old PIE files. There is no guaranty that this will work.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...24&postcount=2

rainfreak 01-23-2009 02:47 PM

+1 for Darkness's suggestion to back up your Diamond first.

I personally use Opera Mobile for everything anymore. I have Skyfire installed but can't remember the last time that I used it. PIE is good for message boards, as the OP pointed out, but I still prefer Opera.

DssTrainer 02-13-2009 04:41 PM

Good to see someone else out there likes PIE5 better as well.
Opera and Skyfire just require too much ram for a phone.... at least for phones like the Touch. It's a complete waste. I spend more time trying to get the phone to load all the pics on a site when I could have easily looked at the broken view in PIE5 and got my answer.

PIE 5 with mobile versions of websites like xda, engadget, gizmodo, joystiq, etc was super fast and functional. PIE 6 is like Opera 1... but even slower and when you say "Mobile version" it still loads a larger version that requires a horizontal scroll.

Riley 02-13-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DssTrainer (Post 711719)
Good to see someone else out there likes PIE5 better as well.
Opera and Skyfire just require too much ram for a phone.... at least for phones like the Touch. It's a complete waste. I spend more time trying to get the phone to load all the pics on a site when I could have easily looked at the broken view in PIE5 and got my answer.

PIE 5 with mobile versions of websites like xda, engadget, gizmodo, joystiq, etc was super fast and functional. PIE 6 is like Opera 1... but even slower and when you say "Mobile version" it still loads a larger version that requires a horizontal scroll.

you should try opera mini, much faster the pie and most other browsers. need a java vm to run it but its great. If you need the java, I can post it.

robby37 02-28-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rileyd5 (Post 711745)
you should try opera mini, much faster the pie and most other browsers. need a java vm to run it but its great. If you need the java, I can post it.

reread first post he states he uses mini sometimes

Fixup 02-28-2009 03:40 PM

Just flash MightyRom3.9, the very best ROM ever and yes it has PIE5 not PIE6. Another good thing about 3.9 is: Opera can really exit and unload, if you replace the OperaPrel.exe with a fake one. With 4.0 and newer, Opera can never unload once opened and you have to use a good task manager to kill opera9.exe and operal.exe. Sluggish too. 3.9 is simply perfect.