PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 11:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S™ II Epic™ 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint

iflog is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Battery Killer

I just got the Diamond about a week ago and cant keep the battery life for anything. I turn it on at 3:30am. By 7:30am it is down to 70%. By 10:30am its at 20%. I am hardly using the phone except for the occasional phone call because I don't want to deplete the battery before my shift at work is over. Everything is stock on the phone, right out of the box. $600 phone doesn't even come with a car charger either. Go figure.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:24 PM
mcom
Pocket PC: Panther 850e, RhodiumW500, BlackBerry8220
Carrier: Telus & Rogers

briggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Battery Killer

flash mighty rom, it'll help.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:31 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflog View Post
I just got the Diamond about a week ago and cant keep the battery life for anything. I turn it on at 3:30am. By 7:30am it is down to 70%. By 10:30am its at 20%. I am hardly using the phone except for the occasional phone call because I don't want to deplete the battery before my shift at work is over. Everything is stock on the phone, right out of the box. $600 phone doesn't even come with a car charger either. Go figure.
Is this your first windows mobile phone? Obviously something is running in the back ground, which is utilizing the battery. If it were me, I would go into your task manager and see what is running, and begin to consistently close them down. Just look around, you'll figure it out. Also, the custom roms available are pretty good at conserving battery life....might want to consider briggs suggestion.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Cingular 8525
Carrier: AT&T

ShawnSoulo is a n00b

Have you fully charged and fully discharged your battery a few times? Battery life tends to be better once you do that.

After doing that myself, I'm getting about two days of battery life (compared to one before).
Old 01-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

Yet another battery thread....

It's a known problem that the stock phone ROMs are bad on the battery. The best solution for most people is to flash the Telus Radio (in the radio thread) and a custom ROM (as 95% of tweaks are common to almost all of the ROMs).
Old 01-15-2009, 05:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S™ II Epic™ 4G Touch
Threadstarter

iflog is a n00b

Its a brand new phone. I don't want to put a custom ROM on it (yet). I did that on my Mogul and it didn't increase the battery life any. I have nothing running in the background except Activesync which I shut down when I start the phone. I fully charged the battery. I was told by a friend that works for Sprint to NOT leave it on charge for more than 2 hours or a full charge, whichever comes first. I used to plug my Mogul in when I got home from work and leave it charging all night. I could get almost 2 days from a full charge with my Mogul. I think I will just get a couple extra batteries to keep with me.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: ATR 3.0- I just pay Sprint for Minutes.

TaylorSPJ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTaylorSPJ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTaylorSPJ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTaylorSPJ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTaylorSPJ is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflog View Post
Its a brand new phone. I don't want to put a custom ROM on it (yet). I did that on my Mogul and it didn't increase the battery life any. I have nothing running in the background except Activesync which I shut down when I start the phone. I fully charged the battery. I was told by a friend that works for Sprint to NOT leave it on charge for more than 2 hours or a full charge, whichever comes first. I used to plug my Mogul in when I got home from work and leave it charging all night. I could get almost 2 days from a full charge with my Mogul. I think I will just get a couple extra batteries to keep with me.
get e registry editor and go to....hklm/drivers/builtin/battery...and changer your pollintreval to 5000. that will dramatically improve your battery life...my diamond's battery last about 60% better then b4.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung X475>MotoROKR Z6m>Touch Diamond>TouchPRO 2
Carrier: Cingular>Verizon>ATT(current)

xTSFx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxTSFx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxTSFx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Good Cat View Post
get e registry editor and go to....hklm/drivers/builtin/battery...and changer your pollintreval to 5000. that will dramatically improve your battery life...my diamond's battery last about 60% better then b4.

The stock poll interval is 5,000.... I thought it should be changed to 20,000

But mine is set at 25,000. I'm using Confliper's rom

Old 01-15-2009, 06:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

PintozozDIAM is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPintozozDIAM is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPintozozDIAM is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPintozozDIAM is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Good Cat View Post

hmm everywhere i read said to change FROM 5000 TO 20000. thats 5, or 20 seconds. thats how often the phone polls the battery to measure battery life. Seems redundant... but the phone checking for battery is actually a huge battery killer. change it to 20000. I did it on mine and I got a bit of a boost. I unplugged my phoneat 10 am and by 5 I was at 60%. with about 40 texts, 5 mins of call, two youtube videos, and nothing else. battery jsut sucks on this phone, no matter the tweaks. kinda regretting leaving my mogul.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: PagePlusCellular

Fixup is keeping up the good workFixup is keeping up the good work

Some programs kill battery, this is not a full list:

Opera
Internet Explorer
QuickGps
Biotouch
OMC
Sensorlock
AlbumSearch
AudioManager
Windows Media Player (even not playing anything)
Garmin

These are good programs that you can let them run without impact on battery:

Jbed java midlet manager (all other midlet managers suck)
Opera Mini
Gmail (older than V2.0)
Xten Lite
ImapPusherService
TomTom (when in background)

Go get the free FdcSoft TaskManager3.1, then you can see which programs are running and using lots of CPU. acbTaskMan can even show the history of CPU usage.

Bottom line: smartphones are always on even when the screen is black. Many programmers do not follow the guidelines of putting their programs into standby mode or use too much polling instead of push and thus use too much CPU and thus battery. You must close those offending programs after each and every use to ensure good battery life.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond