PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 06:09 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

leemaverickly is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
USB charging problem!

When I hook up the Diamond to computer tethering, the phone is always discharging. My Treo 800w does that too but HTC Touch is fine. I guess it's the design problem of the circuit. Does anybody else have the same problem? Thanks.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Lurker

richm2004 is a n00b
Re: USB charging problem!

Try a different USB cable. I have several and some charge and some don't. This is true on both my old 6700 and the Diamond.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamonte
Carrier: eSprint

deanwoof is just getting started

there's a setting in the phone where you can make the phone charge or not charge when plugged into a computer
Old 09-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

its not that. try different cables, especiallythe stock one. use nuePower to check the discharge.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:58 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

leemaverickly is a n00b

I will try a different cable. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:10 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

leemaverickly is a n00b

I tried 4 different cables I have. All were the same. When I connect the phone to my computer while I am tethering or calling. The discharge would be like 590mA and charge is 441mA so battery level keeps going down. Do you guys have any recommendations about what cable I should get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeychris View Post
its not that. try different cables, especiallythe stock one. use nuePower to check the discharge.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemaverickly View Post
I tried 4 different cables I have. All were the same. When I connect the phone to my computer while I am tethering or calling. The discharge would be like 590mA and charge is 441mA so battery level keeps going down. Do you guys have any recommendations about what cable I should get?
i get about 441mA charging on usb with my HTC cable. and any other cable i try. your discharge is just surpassing your recharge rate so its falling back on battery.

what are you running? ive never a discharge that high.

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
Old 09-22-2008, 08:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond (Telus)

CNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo_X View Post
i get about 441mA charging on usb with my HTC cable. and any other cable i try. your discharge is just surpassing your recharge rate so its falling back on battery.

what are you running? ive never a discharge that high.
I agree with that. Can you turn off some of your radio type stuff, like bluetooth, GPS, or WiFi? Your other option may be to use the wall charger, with is rated at 1A, rather than the 500mA available from most standard USB ports. I've also got a "double-headed" USB cable that takes two USB ports on the computer side and one port on the device side.

Another alternative is a docking station that has an AC adapter, as well as a USB connector.

Clint
Old 09-22-2008, 09:26 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

leemaverickly is a n00b

Thanks for your replies. I don't have any applications on other than using PDAnet to tether or making phone calls.

If I don't do anything but just leave the phone connecting to the computer, it charges fine.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond (Telus)

CNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

So just to be clear; if you run PDANet to tether, it won't charge (drains slowly). If you don't use PDANet, it will charge properly.

If that's true, it would mean that the juice required by the processing of the data, and/or the constant cell data communication is draining the battery, which makes sense. So you're back to trying to find a way to get more juice to the Diamond, which means either a docking station/AC adapter or dual USB plugs.

Clint

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond