PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Lurker

gentoowally is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Couple of Newbie Questions

Hi,

I recently picked up an HTC Diamond from Alltel, and I'm thinking of giving the Juicy ROM a try. I have done flash upgrades of official ROM on other phones, but never tried a cooked ROM. I have read throught the unlocking/locking/flashing guide and some of the other howto's, but I still have a couple of questions...

1) I see the terms SSPL and HardSPL mentioned a lot. What exactly do the terms mean? Do I need to worry about this to flash my phone with a cooked ROM?

2) If something goes bad and I brick my phone, is that it? Game over...permanently...or can you recover from a bricked phone by flashing it with another ROM?

3) If I flash my phone with a cooked ROM do I need to know/configure any carrier (mine is Alltel) service information to get voice/data working or should my service just work if all goes well? All the carrier info is held in the SIM which isn't affected by flasing a ROM...right???

Thx in advance,
Wally

Old 01-02-2009, 06:41 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond Pro
Carrier: Sprint

DaveNagy is a n00b
Re: Couple of Newbie Questions

I'm probably only a couple days less newb-ish than yourself, but here's my two cents. (If I'm wrong about anything, I bet it will trigger a lot more responses than your original question did. So, you win either way!

1) I read the entire (current) Juicy ROM thread, and the entire flashing thread, but off the top of my head I couldn't tell you what SSPL and HardSPL mean. This shocking lack of knowlege did not seem to impede me when I flashed my ROM and "radio".

2) There are some recovery techniques, but I'm guessing that if you manage to brick your phone to the point where it will not turn on, or make it into bootloader mode, then you are probably up a creek. My advice would be to not brick your phone.

3) I didn't have to re-configure a gosh blamed thing after flashing both the OS and radio. Hard resets can wipe out things you did to the phone after you took possession of it, but the lower level carrier configuration seemed unaffected.

I'm on Sprint. I flashed Juicy 4.4 and the Telus radio.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community
Re: Couple of Newbie Questions

SSPL: Soft SPL. Used as a temporary SPL in order to write to an HSPL.
HSPL: Hard SPL. A permanent SPL that 'unlocks' a phone, allowing custom ROMs to be flashed.

Once you're past unlocking, you don't have much of a chance in bricking. The only way you could, is if you flash a new Radio. Flashing any of the ROMs we have here, there isn't much chance, because they're all only an XIP/OS ROM. That doesn't mean anything to you, but it's easily fixable if your phone doesn't turn on.

You shouldn't have to configure anything.

Last edited by tobeychris; 01-02-2009 at 07:02 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond