PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 02:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint SERO 500

tracerit is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Will any USB 5pin cable work to charge the Diamond?

I've noticed that my phone charges slower when it's charging with the USB Cable connected to the computer. I'm thinking about picking up another cable from monoprice here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Will that cable work?
Old 12-31-2008, 03:11 AM
Still a Geek
Pocket PC: GalaxyS Fascinate; Bold 9650 on the shelf incase!
Carrier: VZW/Sprint

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: Will any USB 5pin cable work to charge the Diamond?

why would changing the cable make a difference? If you want to charge faster use the AC adapter. If you're using your phone while plugged to PC it will discharge as well as recharge so depending on your usage your charge time will vary.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:47 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond CDMA
Carrier: Telus

ShatteredAxe is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
I've noticed that my phone charges slower when it's charging with the USB Cable connected to the computer. I'm thinking about picking up another cable from monoprice here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Will that cable work?
I have sucessfully charged my phone with a regular 5-pin, but the ac adapter is your best bet. Im going to assume you just want this as a spare so you dont have to switch the cradle back and forth from the computer.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

hankbear is keeping up the good workhankbear is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post

Will that cable work?
It will, but will not charge any faster. The issue is one of amps. The max a PC usually puts out through any USB port is 500 milliamps. The car and wall chargers are anywhere from 1 amp to 2 amps (1000 milliamps to 2000 milliamps), so they charge much faster. I also find that if I use a wall charger and turn the screen off, it charges even faster than with the screen on.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:54 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Bell HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Bell Mobility

superkev is a n00b

I plugged my phone into the computer using a regular mini USB cable that I have there for charging/sycning other devices. It gave me the usual "Active Sync or Removable drive?" prompt, then locked up. I had to reset it. Charging from the power adapter with the same cable works, but not as fast as using the Diamond's weird little EXT-USB cable. According to the Battery Monitor program, the EXT-USB cable seems to deliver about 800mA to the device. The regular mini USB cable delivers about 400-500mA to the device, even when connected to the AC adapter.

Short answer: A regular mini-USB cable connected to the AC adapter will charge your Diamond, but at a slower rate than the EXT-USB cable.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-31-2008, 12:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6800-> Diamond

freegood is a n00b

For those who use generic mini-usb connectors, has anyone had any complications with their phone as described in this forum post on fatwallet?

Quote:
Edit:
Please be careful when using normal mini-usb connector on the HTC products. The HTC connector is not the same as the normal mini-usb connector, with a much thinner plate in the receptor, the normal mini-usb connector can't give a good support on the other side of the receptor's plate, while normal mini-usb receptor has a much thicker plate. So, there's a risk the tension applied to the plate might break the receptor on the HTC phone. If you really want to use, use it with the adapter that came with the phone, I highly recommend. (Break the adapter will be much cheaper to replace.) The adapter is the one to connect normal 2.5mm or 3.5mm headphone with the HTC phones.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

sungod000 is a n00b

I've been using another cable that didn't come with my diamond for about a month now and no problems (yet).

I'm going to buy a couple of car USB charger adapters and mini USB cables to charge in the car from Ebay.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:30 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Just buy a 400W inverter from Wally World and you can plug your charger into that. That's what I did.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Diamond Calcu's v4.5 w/ telus v1.04

wrxtuner is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to wrxtuner

been using a variety of different mini-usb cords for syncing, charging, you name it for the past few months now and have had no problems at all (so far)...and actually found that charging from a comp usb port gives me better charge rates (900+) using a standard miniusb cable then when charging from my ac charger (~740 max) using either the ext-usb or a standard mini-usb. No clue why mine would be backwards from what others are experiencing but i guess just luck of the draw haha.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:11 PM
p2k
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: TELUS

p2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
Just buy a 400W inverter from Wally World and you can plug your charger into that. That's what I did.
I would strongly advise against this...

1) Inefficiency. You are using a 400W inverter to power a 5W MAX device.
2) Unless you buy an expensive sine wave generating inverter, you will put square waves into your transformer. These harmonics can burn out your transformer and damage your phone.

Like mentioned many times,

USB via computer = 500mA MAX
If you get an AC-USB Adapter purchase one that is atleast 1A or 1000mA.

I noticed that my Diamond never charges more than that so any extra is not necessary.

Any mini-b usb connector will work, but if you can use your original cable its better to use that whenever possible. I find the mini-b doesnt quite perfectly fit, and causes strain on the socket in the phone.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond