PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Need you Guru's for this... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=51158)

fuznuts 12-30-2008 05:18 PM

Need you Guru's for this...

I just bought an HTC Diamond Touch at the recommendation of a sprint sales person (i know i know...should NOT have done that, but lesson learned). I went out with the intention of having a phone that would allow me to watch as much of the free streaming video on the inet as possible (c-span and cnn are my favorite) as well as hopefully get either scrobbler (i.e. last.fm's mobile radio program) or Pandora to play streaming. However, being that it would double as my work phone and personal organizer, I was informed that windows mobile would be my best bet.

Truthfully, I feel I got totally screwed on this and have spent WAY too much time trying to get the damn thing to work. It just seems that every time I get one thing working, another bug pops up.... for instance: I looked and looked for pandora but found that it doesnt work on the most expensive phones sprint offers (wth...? logic bomb straight to the face...). Well after two weeks of searching, downloading and deleting programs from my phone, I found that scrobbler was in beta and I tried to get that up and running. IT WORKED...and i do truly love it in case any of you are interested in trying it..

Now, however, my phone just seems like a piece of ****. It is really slow in running despite the fact that its specs seem to suggest it should blow most other phones out of the water in performance...

So finally, with all the complaining aside... do you gurus out there know of a SINGLE phone sprint has that can offer me what I need? At this point, I am willing to pay more than what I paid for my touch diamond if necessary. I just want a reliable phone that can meet my demands...

Thanks in advance btw.

rstoyguy 12-30-2008 05:23 PM

Re: Need you Guru's for this...

Are you still running the stock rom? That's why it's slow... lol.

fuznuts 12-30-2008 05:33 PM

Lol...
Well I have been looking at that as an option (still a very real nublet to this), but would not mind getting a new rom if there was a guide showing me how to install it (which I am sure i can google). I guess the question is would getting a new rom installed would enable me to get what I want from the phone? What rom would be suggested if so for the 2 very important issues stated above (of course, in your opinion), and are there other phones that are a better deal over all than the touch diamond for my needs considering that I still have Sprint for another 2 years...
Also, doesnt putting a new rom on this sucker void my insurance on this phone?
Sorry for so many questions...but when i search google I get a bunch of **** that doesnt help most of the time.

DaveNagy 12-30-2008 06:56 PM

I'm also a newbie, but maybe my input will be of some use.

Flashing ROMs is a piece of cake, assuming you are modestly computer-literate. I got my Diamond at about 3PM on Saturday, and by 6PM I was running on new OS and radio ROMs.

Go here, and read as much as you can stomach. The first post alone tells you all you really need to know. The rest is just context... The hardest part for me was finding the reset switch on the phone. (Hint: You have to take the back off.)

You need to pick a ROM. Not easy, since it seems that finding actual descriptions of the various ROMs is hard to do. I read through the entire threads for 2-3 of the most popular ROMs. By doing that I was sort of able to acquire the flavor of each. Sort of. I ended up going with the most recent Juicy ROM. It seems to be a very actively maintained "bare bones" ROM. Hardly any apps are bundled in, but you get all the latest driver revisions and performance tweaks. Stuff like that. It's working well for me, but then again, I have nothing to compare it to.

I also updated the radio ROM. (the new Telus) Some people find that to increase battery life, and/or improve reception. YMMV.

The performance of my Diamond seems fine. Which aspects of yours seem slow?

I'm sure that flashing ROMs can void your warranty, but unless you outright brick your phone, you can easily reverse your changes and go back to dead stock.

I can't believe that there aren't any streaming video apps out there that would meet your needs. YouTube comes right on the phone, and I believe people are streaming off of Hulu. I'm not sure how, but I'm sure you could find out.

stevedog1 12-30-2008 07:03 PM

Dave's suggestion above should make your phone as fast as you want it to be. I am running a Juicy's 4.4 with much success in regards to speed and functionality.

Have you tried Kinoma Freeplay? Its great for streaming Audible books, LIve365 radio, ORB, SHOUTcast radio, youtube, and flickr. It also serves as a media player/showcase for your personal files.

Hope that helps!

fuznuts 12-30-2008 07:09 PM

@ Dave: in regard to which aspects seem slow...its pretty much all of it truthfully. It isnt all the time, but the thing that really sucks is the fact that I have to go through about 6 steps just to really close a program. Regarding Hulu...is it free? I know youtube is...

@ Steve: I have never tried kinoma freeplay. I am assuming it, and all the other streams it enables the user to access are free? I am relatively on the poor side and this phone was truthfully purchased to allow me to cost-effectively enjoy keeping up with news and the state of the economy/nation while also being able to stream radio. I am on the move a lot, so cable television isnt always an option and I really wanted to make the MOST out of my phone's unlimited data plan--which i hear sprint's is one of the best price-wise.

boomhower 12-30-2008 07:15 PM

Hulu is free, one of my favorite web sites of all time. I would also suggest flashing to a new rom. It is dead simple and really does improve the performance. I use mightymikes and really like it over the stock rom. It gets rid of all the crap thats not needed and really speeds things up, which is try of most other rom's. The stock one is pretty bad.

stevedog1 12-30-2008 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuznuts (Post 608932)
I am assuming it, and all the other streams it enables the user to access are free?

Yes. It is free.

ou2mame 12-30-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

It isnt all the time, but the thing that really sucks is the fact that I have to go through about 6 steps just to really close a program.
you know you can make the "x" actually close a program instead of minimizing it, right?

hulu's the ****.. i watch fox news' redeye all the time on that when i'm bored.

abovelegit 12-30-2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuznuts (Post 608932)
@ Dave: in regard to which aspects seem slow...its pretty much all of it truthfully. It isnt all the time, but the thing that really sucks is the fact that I have to go through about 6 steps just to really close a program. Regarding Hulu...is it free? I know youtube is...

@ Steve: I have never tried kinoma freeplay. I am assuming it, and all the other streams it enables the user to access are free? I am relatively on the poor side and this phone was truthfully purchased to allow me to cost-effectively enjoy keeping up with news and the state of the economy/nation while also being able to stream radio. I am on the move a lot, so cable television isnt always an option and I really wanted to make the MOST out of my phone's unlimited data plan--which i hear sprint's is one of the best price-wise.

You just gotta get use to WinMo, as for watching your tv cable anywhere theres slingbox mobile. :)