PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

the7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Push GMail - Different services evaluated

My apologies for posting this in the Diamond section, but I figured there have to be some users here that have figured out a way to get push GMail to their Diamonds. I've searched around and not found anything that will reliably push my GMail account to my phone for free.

Here's what I've tried so far:

-I've tried mobipush and it's flaky at best. Push is typically pretty slow and sometimes doesn't work at all. Only does email, no contacts or calendar. I give it a D.
-Mail2web is a service that works, but I don't want to use their email address or forward my gmail to them. Email only.
-Nuevasync works great for pushing contacts and calendar from google to my phone but it doesn't push email unfortunately. Gets a solid A for doing contacts and calendar, but no email support. btw keep in mind that it will also sync "Suggested Contacts" from Gmail, so be sure to delete those first if you don't want them on your phone.
-Windows Live for Mobile works amazingly well for push email but it only supports hotmail accounts. A+ for pushing hotmail (including custom domains. if you own your own domain, point the MX record to hotmail and it will push it for you). Doesn't do gmail though
-Emoze - flat out doesn't work. Client is terrible, only syncs for the first time and never after that. Gets an F.

So in a nutshell, I still can't push gmail to my phone. Any ideas/recommendations much appreciated. Ideally, what I want is a single service that will sync Email, Calendar and Contacts all from Google in real time. If that's not possible, then I'm happy to use nuevasync to sync contacts and calendar in conjunction with another service that will push gmail for free and works well overall.
Thanks!

EDIT: Based on suggestions from everyone, I will be trying other services and reporting my results here.

- SEVEN - The client install was buggy. It crashed my phone and then slowed everything to a crawl even after a soft reset. Email was "pushed" with an average delay of 15 minutes and many contacts were duplicated. It only does email and contacts btw, no calendar. Overall, SEVEN gets a D- grade at best. I may have to try it out again later to see if it does better.
- Goosync - the website says it does calendar only, non-starter for me.
- Oggsync - Free version does calendar only, paid version does contacts also. Still no email.
- PushEffect - still needs to be tested.
- Sprint Mobile Email - still needs to be tested. I think this is just the SEVEN service, but I will try it out soon.
- Funambol - Testing now, apparently syncs email, contacts and calendar via OTA push. I've set up an account here and set it to push (currently email only) but I can't for the life of me get it to push mail down unless I sync manually. Ok email started showing up with about a 15 minute delay here also. Not sure why there is a delay, but I kept tabs on the website for sync status and it wasn't syncing right away, bur rather taking some time. This time could sometimes be hours or not even sync at all unless i manually synced. Not a workable solution so far.
- ImapPusher - mentioned in post 6. Works brilliantly well. This is the only service I've used so far that pushes my gmail in real time. No schedule though.. and no calendar and contacts also (see nuevasync for these 2).

Last edited by the7thson; 12-12-2008 at 12:15 AM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

sadmedic is a n00b
Re: Push GMail

I just saw this today:
http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ho...ation_and.html

I havent tried any of them, but let me know if any work well.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vogue/diamond/hero/evo
Carrier: sprint

trakas is keeping up the good worktrakas is keeping up the good work

I used Seven beta for gmail,it was working well and its free.
Just phone was to hot and it was baterry killer apl...
But with newer radio and custom roms it can runn ,i think
Old 12-09-2008, 11:42 PM
N00b

ihbsbA is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7thson View Post
My apologies for posting this in the Diamond section, but I figured there have to be some users here that have figured out a way to get push GMail to their Diamonds. I've searched around and not found anything that will reliably push my GMail account to my phone for free.

-I've tried mobipush and it's flaky at best. Push is typically pretty slow and sometimes doesn't work at all.
-Mail2web is a service that works, but I don't want to use their email address or forward my gmail to them.
-Nuevasync works great for pushing contacts and calendar from google to my phone but it doesn't push email unfortunately.
-Windows Live for Mobile works amazingly well for push email but it only supports hotmail accounts.
-Emoze - flat out doesn't work.

So in a nutshell, I still can't push gmail to my phone. Any ideas/recommendations much appreciated.

Thanks!
PushEffect works fairly well, it's a one-time fee of like $15 bucks...
www.qorefunctions.com
If you want more details PM me and I'll fill you in.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon 4G (MoPho)
Carrier: Sprint

slmclarengt is just getting started

Quote:

-I've tried mobipush and it's flaky at best. Push is typically pretty slow and sometimes doesn't work at all.
-Mail2web is a service that works, but I don't want to use their email address or forward my gmail to them.
-Nuevasync works great for pushing contacts and calendar from google to my phone but it doesn't push email unfortunately.
-Windows Live for Mobile works amazingly well for push email but it only supports hotmail accounts.
-Emoze - flat out doesn't work.

So in a nutshell, I still can't push gmail to my phone. Any ideas/recommendations much appreciated.

Thanks!
Sprint Mobile Email... (Attached)

Works great, usually.

Slmclarengt
Attached Files
File Type: zip Touch Push mail.zip (1.24 MB, 106 views) Click for barcode!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:05 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

you could try this, http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=45166 been working pretty well.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:43 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

the7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuff

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll be updating my first post with my test results for all these services so we can compile them in 1 place. If anyone else has more suggestions or comments, they're obviously more than welcome.

Last edited by the7thson; 12-10-2008 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:24 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: pre, diamond
Carrier: sprint

kellybrf is becoming a great contributor
Re: Push GMail - Different services evaluated

seven is a fantastic program that usually delivers my email within 10s, but it kills my battery. bonus points for being able to set non-delivery times, as i dont want to be woken up at 4am by my cc company telling me my statement is ready
Old 12-10-2008, 03:41 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond

WMPhoton is just getting started

Quote:

-I've tried mobipush and it's flaky at best. Push is typically pretty slow and sometimes doesn't work at all. Only does email, no contacts or calendar. I give it a D.
-Mail2web is a service that works, but I don't want to use their email address or forward my gmail to them. Email only.
-Nuevasync works great for pushing contacts and calendar from google to my phone but it doesn't push email unfortunately. Gets a solid A for doing contacts and calendar, but no email support. btw keep in mind that it will also sync "Suggested Contacts" from Gmail, so be sure to delete those first if you don't want them on your phone.
-Windows Live for Mobile works amazingly well for push email but it only supports hotmail accounts. A+ for pushing hotmail (including custom domains. if you own your own domain, point the MX record to hotmail and it will push it for you). Doesn't do gmail though
-Emoze - flat out doesn't work. Client is terrible, only syncs for the first time and never after that. Gets an F.

So in a nutshell, I still can't push gmail to my phone. Any ideas/recommendations much appreciated. Ideally, what I want is a single service that will sync Email, Calendar and Contacts all from Google in real time. If that's not possible, then I'm happy to use nuevasync to sync contacts and calendar in conjunction with another service that will push gmail for free and works well overall.
Thanks!

EDIT: Based on suggestions from everyone, I will be trying other services and reporting my results here.

- SEVEN - The client install was buggy. It crashed my phone and then slowed everything to a crawl even after a soft reset. Email was "pushed" with an average delay of 15 minutes and many contacts were duplicated. It only does email and contacts btw, no calendar. Overall, SEVEN gets a D- grade at best. I may have to try it out again later to see if it does better.
- Goosync - the website says it does calendar only, non-starter for me.
- Oggsync - Free version does calendar only, paid version does contacts also. Still no email.
- PushEffect - still needs to be tested.
- Sprint Mobile Email - still needs to be tested. I think this is just the SEVEN service, but I will try it out soon.

Just forward your gmail to hotmail and it will be pushed in real time. Problem solved!
Old 12-10-2008, 03:48 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMPhoton View Post
Just forward your gmail to hotmail and it will be pushed in real time. Problem solved!
Since my gmail account is my primary account, I need to be able to send from that account also and keep the sent items in sync. I realize I can forward all my email without any problems, but the idea is to have a single service that can effectively push my gmail and keep everything in sync.

Thanks.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond